Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:51 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I know that people will come up with all kinds of reasons to avoid North Babylon - but the hard truth is that they are afraid that there are too many blacks in the school district. The irony is that the blacks live in West Babylon, but are zoned for North Babylon schools.
What you say is not 100% accurate...my dad moved to N. Babylon in 1959, when many other houses were being built in his area. He, like others where he lives (west of Belmont Ave.) have 11704 zip codes. This is simply due to the fact that the WB (11704) post office is closer than the NB (11703) post office. WB border begins at Little East Neck Road and goes west. My dad's house is east of Little East Neck Rd...and has ALWAYS been North Babylon. The 11704 zip is simply a mail delivery convenience, set up by the USPS.

Having stated that, it has also never been a black neighborhood. The dividing line for that is Southern State Pkwy (my dad's dead end road ends at the border of SS Pkwy.) So, once you cross over that bridge on Belmont Ave. and go into the area where NB used to have another junior high school (which is now a police training facility?) that is the black area of NB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 06:23 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
That is not a police training facility anymore, but a school for troubled teenagers (a BOCES for emotionally disturbed adolescents, Brennan HS). That is another reason not to buy a home there, unfortunately.
I believe that they are locked in, but you never know.

It's a shame because Belmont Park is really so pretty and once was the summer estate of The Belmonts (racetrack).

Old 08-12-2007, 06:29 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times
JFKIII:

The area north of the SSP, but West of Belmont Lake is West Babylon 11704 zip, but zoned for North Babylon schools - check it on a Hagstrom map. That area is mostly African-American.

North Babylon proper, 11703 zip, is all east of Belmont Lake. That area is mostly White.

Where your Dad's house is, in West Babylon, 11704 zip, is south of the SSP, but zoned for North Babylon schools. It is still mostly White.

Do you or anyone in your family know why its like that? Was it always so?

Old 08-12-2007, 07:49 PM

81 posts, read 410,947 times
Sorry to jump in again - I just have to ask one more question to clarify! This has been very informative: I now know that south of Sunrise is good, north of Southern State is bad. Very good to know!

But it sounds like there's mixed opinions on the area BETWEEN Sunrise and the Southern State. For example, where this house is: MLSLI.com - Neighborhood Information (http://www.mlsli.com/tfram.cfm?mlnum=1984220 - broken link)

Would that be considered a good or bad neighborhood? And what about a few blocks to the right, on the other side of Little East Neck Road? Is THAT a good or bad neighborhood?

(Sorry if I'm being annoying! It's just so helpful to get inside info on specific neighborhoods!)

Old 08-12-2007, 07:58 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
JFKIII:

The area north of the SSP, but West of Belmont Lake is West Babylon 11704 zip, but zoned for North Babylon schools - check it on a Hagstrom map. That area is mostly African-American.

North Babylon proper, 11703 zip, is all east of Belmont Lake. That area is mostly White.

Where your Dad's house is, in West Babylon, 11704 zip, is south of the SSP, but zoned for North Babylon schools. It is still mostly White.

Do you or anyone in your family know why its like that? Was it always so?
Race Race Race

Trudirose be afraid...be very afraid.
I think Id rather raise my kid with Blacks than racists.

Sorry Trudi
Set your sights elsewhere.

C

Old 08-13-2007, 04:40 AM

13,814 posts, read 28,486,602 times
nbres...its always been that way. My did lives right over by Belmont Elementary school...which has ALWAYS been a NB school district school. It was built to handle the influx of new homes (with families) that were all being built there in the late 50's/early 60's.

When you look at any map that defines an area by zip code...it is just that... mailing address boundaries (i.e., where the mail goes). If you go down to Babylon town hall, you'll see that the area my dad lives in has always been part of North Babylon...not zoned for NB schools...but physically a section of North Babylon proper.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:09 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
That's been a thorn in our sides for decades.

Blue and white baby, not blue and yellow. Go Bulldogs!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 12,198 times
Dear Trudi-- I live in the area around Santapogue my daughter goes there.
Just say no!!!wb is going down the tubes. Check the area around CVS, Fontanas and the Lion club building.There are crack houses nearby
another house that has recently been condemned--there is a reason there are so many houses for sale. buy a house in arnold estates and send your kids to private school for middle and high school. The middle is good now but the principal is leaving. Call the school ask for % of kids in resource {special ED} depending on your age. SouthBay and JFK are by far much better schools-When we participate in wb soccer, baseball and cheer most of the kids are from the south-much better class of parents and children ask people on the streeet . Come here at night watch what goes on - just over the parkway is drug heaven. It has nothing to do with color it has to do with class. Most of the crackheads and "girls" lingering are white. Protect your investment and children.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:00 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Question going downhill?

Is that the area near the Greek Orthodox Church that you are talking about?

Old 08-15-2007, 07:56 PM

3 posts, read 12,198 times
Default downhill

no its the area around cvs north of sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island