Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM

81 posts, read 411,019 times

Advertisements

Truthteller, thanks for the input! And ugh, do you really think the WB middle and high school are bad? How about Babylon Junior-Senior High School? One of the main reasons for moving is that Long Island schools are supposed to be better - where I live now (in Brooklyn) the elementary schools are fine, but the middle and high schools aren't. No way can I afford private school, no matter where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 08:46 PM

549 posts, read 2,194,570 times
Any reason you won't consider other areas?

Old 08-15-2007, 08:49 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Any reason you won't consider other areas?
Really..why the attachment?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:00 PM

81 posts, read 411,019 times
Well, my husband has co-workers from Long Island, and asked them for recommendations, and they suggested that area. So I looked on MSLI and saw things in our price range, and then went out and looked at the area and it seemed very nice, plus it seemed like a reasonable distance to Manhattan (neither of us works in Manhattan, but I do like to go there sometimes to visit friends, see a play etc., so I want to be able to get there.) I also really like the fact that it's near a big state park, because right now we live near Prospect Park, and I'd like to still have a big park near us. I also went on GreatSchools.net, and both West Babylon and Babylon had good ratings, positive reviews from parents, decent test scores, and seemed to have a lot of sports and extracurricular activities.

The other places people have mentioned that are supposed to be nicer also seem to be much more expensive, farther from Manhattan, etc.

But if you have suggestions for other neighborhoods, I'm certainly willing to hear them! I have plenty of time (we're not planning to move till next year), and that's why I'm posting here in the first place, to get input and suggestions.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:44 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,570 times
I really do not know much about Suffolk County, so I cant help you there.

Old 08-16-2007, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudiRose View Post
Well, my husband has co-workers from Long Island, and asked them for recommendations, and they suggested that area. So I looked on MSLI and saw things in our price range, and then went out and looked at the area and it seemed very nice, plus it seemed like a reasonable distance to Manhattan (neither of us works in Manhattan, but I do like to go there sometimes to visit friends, see a play etc., so I want to be able to get there.) I also really like the fact that it's near a big state park, because right now we live near Prospect Park, and I'd like to still have a big park near us. I also went on GreatSchools.net, and both West Babylon and Babylon had good ratings, positive reviews from parents, decent test scores, and seemed to have a lot of sports and extracurricular activities.

The other places people have mentioned that are supposed to be nicer also seem to be much more expensive, farther from Manhattan, etc.

But if you have suggestions for other neighborhoods, I'm certainly willing to hear them! I have plenty of time (we're not planning to move till next year), and that's why I'm posting here in the first place, to get input and suggestions.

If you dont need Manhattan on a regular basis.
Id highly recommend Rocky Point/Sound Beach.(60 Mi from NYC/1:45 on LIRR )

Its by far the best bang for the buck in Suffolk.
Ask any parent with kids in the schools.

Good neighbors/decent taxes
North Shore Beach Property Owners Association of Rocky Point, New York

Ridge is also very nice...just a little bit south of RP/Longwood Schools

C

Old 08-16-2007, 02:23 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
I live in West Babylon, and am at a loss as to why people are down on the area.

Someone mentioned drug activity near Fontana's. Unfortunately, that's a reality in much of today's L.I., even in some of of the nicer areas. I was shocked to hear, from one of my co-workers, about crack activity in an East Northport home.

Getting back to W.B., I live between 109 and Montauk Highway, and love WB, for it's friendly and civic minded people; diverse housing stock (including many beautiful older homes); shopping convenience, and close proximity to the water.

As witnessed by the wealth of thriving Italian bakeries and butchers on Little East Neck Rd, W.B. is still very much a town of people with Italian backgrounds.

Best wishes with your move, and please remember that a Long Islander's perception of crime, and bad schooling, is vastly different than what a Brooklynite might consider a 'crime ridden area.' Crime has never been the slightest of concerns in my area, and again, I am at a loss as to why people have mentioned crime.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I live in West Babylon, and am at a loss as to why people are down on the area.

Someone mentioned drug activity near Fontana's. Unfortunately, that's a reality in much of today's L.I., even in some of of the nicer areas. I was shocked to hear, from one of my co-workers, about crack activity in an East Northport home.

Getting back to W.B., I live between 109 and Montauk Highway, and love WB, for it's friendly and civic minded people; diverse housing stock (including many beautiful older homes); shopping convenience, and close proximity to the water.

As witnessed by the wealth of thriving Italian bakeries and butchers on Little East Neck Rd, W.B. is still very much a town of people with Italian backgrounds.

Best wishes with your move, and please remember that a Long Islander's perception of crime, and bad schooling, is vastly different than what a Brooklynite might consider a 'crime ridden area.' Crime has never been the slightest of concerns in my area, and again, I am at a loss as to why people have mentioned crime.
Arent the Neighborhoods over by Looney Tunes OK?

They looked good a few years ago?

C

Old 08-16-2007, 02:40 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Arent the Neighborhoods over by Looney Tunes OK?

They looked good a few years ago?

C
Yes, they are just fine. Again, I can't figure out why people are fussing about W.B. (or even N.B. or Deer Park for that matter).

Long Island has changed quite a bit, and the demographics of today's Long Island reflect much of what we see across the Country: towns with desirable, and not so desirable, sections.

Old 08-16-2007, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Yes, they are just fine. Again, I can't figure out why people are fussing about W.B. (or even N.B. or Deer Park for that matter).

Long Island has changed quite a bit, and the demographics of today's Long Island reflect much of what we see across the Country: towns with desirable, and not so desirable, sections.
I always thougt it was really nice over there.

I lived on Ralph ave in the village and used to go over there to shop.

I think youre right its not WB its LI thats the problem,

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island