Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2011, 10:10 AM
exm exm started this thread

3,722 posts, read 1,781,830 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I've been posting on this forum for a while and have received helpful replies. My wife and I finally bought a house in GC which needs some repairs updating:
- New kitchen
- Update of bathrooms
- New Roof
- Refinish floors
- Stucco repair
- Finish basement
- Remove wallpaper and paint
- Optional: install CAC

I think most of items can be handled without getting a contractor. I really would like to avoid one, since I've only heard horror stories. Do I need a contractor for:
- Stucco repair
- Finish basement
- Optional: install CAC

Anyone has any thoughts/recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Anything that you need a permit for in Garden City you will need a contractor for. Wait till you see how much the permits cost too....although when you get your CO you'll get *most* of the money back. The contractor must have his license and the names of all his subs and THEIR licenses when he goes to get your building permit.

COngrats on your new house and good luck!

Old 06-17-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Anything that you need a permit for in Garden City you will need a contractor for. Wait till you see how much the permits cost too....although when you get your CO you'll get *most* of the money back. The contractor must have his license and the names of all his subs and THEIR licenses when he goes to get your building permit.

COngrats on your new house and good luck!
Thanks! As far as I know, I do not need a permit for any of the above... Right?

Old 06-17-2011, 11:41 AM

Hmmm, well - have you been reading the threads about finished basements here? If not please do so. Is the basement already finished and you're updating? Or are you going to finish it yourself and not get a permit for it? A finished basement needs a permit. And a word of caution - since everyone is getting gigged by the building department in GC, neighbors are all too happy to turn you in if they think you are getting away with something. I had a neighbor who had a POD in her driveway while renovating. The village had told her there were no rules against it - but then they passes a rule against them while she had it. And they summonsed her for it. She complained but they would not grandfather her in. So now as she drives around town, if she sees a POD she gets the address and calls the village - every time.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:43 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,782 times
my guess is you need a permit for everything except:

floor
stucco
paint

But I'm not expert. Let me know what happens.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM

Great replies everyone, I did not know about finishing the basement. The basement is unfinished; the previous owner started to complete this.

Are these guys any good? http://www.shellsonly.com

Last edited by exm; 06-17-2011 at 11:59 AM..

Old 06-17-2011, 01:01 PM

Don't finish the basement without the permit. If you ever do any work on the house that requires a permit, you'll need to let the building inspector in the basement, and then you'll have trouble. Do it the right way first.

Biggest issue you'll need 2 points of egress....you may have an outside entrance already in GC - that would count.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:29 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,255 times
Just a word of advise. Sometimes the cheap way as in avoiding a contractor is more expensive. It may just be that you need to screen the contractor correctly. Not pay for the whole job until it's done(make that a condition of your contract) or just serve as yoru GC. Hound them and make sure you know everything they are doing. Stay informed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island