Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:21 PM

95 posts, read 315,683 times

Advertisements

What are some areas on Long Island that were once considered a bad area now making a turn for the better? I always hear of the opposite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:29 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
When I was a teenager (in the 70's) Long Beach was down right dangerous. I think it's one of Long Island's great turn around stories.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:36 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
while Babylon has, for the most part, always been "nice"...the Main Street/Deer Park Ave. area looks better and has much more going on than 20-25 years ago.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:38 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
I think downtown Bayshore is on the upswing as well.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:37 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Can't speak for Suffolk (although Amityville Village could be one), but I can't think of any in Nassau.
Maybe the Home Depot shopping center in Hempstead...which has definitely improved that particular spot. Otherwise most of the good areas have always been good. Most of the bad areas always been bad or turned bad over the years.

Last edited by Pequaman; 06-17-2011 at 04:55 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
I would have to say Riverhead.

Lots of shopping, new hotels and attractions. Much better than it was 20 years ago.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:16 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,799,846 times
North Amityville- Gt. Neck Rd. & Albany Avenue...

Old 06-17-2011, 05:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Believe it or not, I think North Amityville is a candidate. North Amityville was a lot worse than it is now, there's no denying that there has been notable improvement. But it will probably ALWAYS be seen as a bad area because of it's racial makeup so I don't even know why i'm even wasting my time typing this.

- Amityville School District which serves the majority of NA has been slowly but surely improving in terms of the rate of graduation. Many students also believe the overall quality has been improving.

- There are new fast-food restaurants and stores opening up in the area (whether you see it as progress or not it's still a good sign if an area can support such businesses)

- Even though it still does have a higher-crime rate compared to many other LI communities, it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. I remember hearing stories about a certain street intersection in the area being an open-air drug market. Constant gang, shootings and drug activity, etc.

- And the town/hamlet just looks better nowadays and more people are investing money into their homes then I remember in previous decades... There's also a very large new/under construction luxury subdivision off of Albany Avenue before you reach the Public Pool/'New Highway' which is adjacent to another older large luxury subdivision which was a huge success and very beautiful.

AS FOR it being a 'good area', I still don't think it has reached that point yet but i'm definitely seeing an improvement and you have to be blind not to see the potential. And yes, they have some neglected/rough looking blocks in North Amityville but it's improved as a whole. Plus, even when things improve further it will probably still be seen as a bad area because of it's racial makeup which doesn't surprise me..

Another area which have been looking better nowadays is Bay Shore.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 06-17-2011 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-17-2011, 05:56 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Believe it or not, I think North Amityville is a candidate.
um, no

Old 06-17-2011, 11:02 PM

136 posts, read 492,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Believe it or not, I think North Amityville is a candidate. North Amityville was a lot worse than it is now, there's no denying that there has been notable improvement. But it will probably ALWAYS be seen as a bad area because of it's racial makeup so I don't even know why i'm even wasting my time typing this.

- Amityville School District which serves the majority of NA has been slowly but surely improving in terms of the rate of graduation. Many students also believe the overall quality has been improving.

- There are new fast-food restaurants and stores opening up in the area (whether you see it as progress or not it's still a good sign if an area can support such businesses)

- Even though it still does have a higher-crime rate compared to many other LI communities, it's definitely not as bad as it used to be. I remember hearing stories about a certain street intersection in the area being an open-air drug market. Constant gang, shootings and drug activity, etc.

- And the town/hamlet just looks better nowadays and more people are investing money into their homes then I remember in previous decades... There's also a very large new/under construction luxury subdivision off of Albany Avenue before you reach the Public Pool/'New Highway' which is adjacent to another older large luxury subdivision which was a huge success and very beautiful.

AS FOR it being a 'good area', I still don't think it has reached that point yet but i'm definitely seeing an improvement and you have to be blind not to see the potential. And yes, they have some neglected/rough looking blocks in North Amityville but it's improved as a whole. Plus, even when things improve further it will probably still be seen as a bad area because of it's racial makeup which doesn't surprise me..

Another area which have been looking better nowadays is Bay Shore.
North Amityville has always had (it wasn't always just the "corner"), and of course still has, some very nice blocks, neighborhoods. People can deny that all they want, especially if they haven't really ventured all around all of North Amityville so they really wouldn't know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island