Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:06 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,747,138 times

Advertisements

sounds like something the 'NYPD Gestapo' would do; what do you think of this? If this kid contacts newsday, this could be a big story. I read the link JIW put up and it looks very legit. I believe the kid.

YouTube - ‪Piney News EXCLUSIVE! NCPD stops man from taking photos on public street!‬‏
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:19 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
It's the LI Piney Power Show dude. Didn't think I'd ever see anybody post one of his videos. Been watching him for a long time. He's had some little run-ins over the years, as well, while taking photos and videos. Don't know what it is about minding your own business and taking videos which sometimes necessitate such a response by certain rogue individuals.

There was also that incident (which got quite a bit of publicity, so I guess some here are familiar with it) at Gabreski airport, where the woman was arrested for taking photos of the helicopter that's outside the gates as a public attraction.

Old 06-18-2011, 10:01 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Hey Amtrak, travel photographers are not terrorists!

A terrorist could photograph a train's penetrable spots for a potential attack just as easily elsewhere along the tracks. They don't need to be in the public space outside the station to do this. What is Amtrack going to do about that? Put up big ugly barriers to prevent people from seeing the trains?

Photographing High-Security Buildings

Old 06-18-2011, 10:43 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
That JIW is labeling this "news" is absolutely ridiculous. Delivering the news precludes someone from saying things like, "the first security guard was very nice," and "these two fat pigs came up," which is editorializing.

Sorry, I can't take any of it seriously. Citizen journalism, it's not.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:26 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,246,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
That JIW is labeling this "news" is absolutely ridiculous. Delivering the news precludes someone from saying things like, "the first security guard was very nice," and "these two fat pigs came up," which is editorializing.

What is best about the entire video is where he uses the word "fat pig" to explain these two cops and the one that gave his Mom a ticket for no reason but he has "no problems with most cops" although "Nassau has a large percentage of bad cops". I love the intro too with the voice effects "something different...and piney". I hope he copyrighted that before someone steals it.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 AM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
The NCPD is the wild west right now. Many of the cops in the NCPD think they are untouchable and can do whatever they want whenever they want. How many examples do we need of NCPD shooting at innocent civilians, sexually harassing women and bullying the general public before DA Rice does something?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:38 AM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post

Who says news cannot also contain an editorial component? Does that violate a law of physics that I do not know of? Is it physically impossible? Does it even contradict the definition of what news is, as per the common dictionary definition? The answer is no, it does not. I invite you to post common dictionary definitions so we may see that there is no such prohibition. He doesn't have to explicitly say he is going to interject editorializing. That fact is easily enough established just by watching it. Hence, what it is = NEWS + EDITORIALIZING.

His YouTube channel is all about him editorializing..... editorializing about news (However minor or major. He discusses lots of topics - mainly local stuff) or other "public interest" topics (or topics that interest him, anyway).

Separating hyperbole, editorializing and other opinion and value judgments from the value-neutral news is an easy enough task for most people. That's all that needs to be done when one encounters it anywhere, on any news channel. The human brain is an astounding filter, if only one applies it.

Of course, if one would rather not have to filter out what they view as extraneous data, and would rather just deal with communications that has a higher SNR, then they can do that easy enough. Whenever they encounter a low signal-to-noise ratio data stream, they need only shut it off and go seek out a better signal.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Of course, if one would rather not have to filter out what they view as extraneous data, and would rather just deal with communications that has a higher SNR, then they can do that easy enough. Whenever they encounter a low signal-to-noise ratio data stream, they need only shut it off and go seek out a better signal.
Or they can call schlock for what it is: Schlock.

The right to free speech does not come with a right to be taken seriously or a right to be immune from criticism when one avails oneself of it.

So I'll continue to call out garbage when I see it, thanks. Have a nice day!

Old 06-18-2011, 11:48 AM

324 posts, read 335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Who says news cannot also contain an editorial component? Does that violate a law of physics that I do not know of? Is it physically impossible? Does it even contradict the definition of what news is, as per the common dictionary definition? The answer is no, it does not. I invite you to post common dictionary definitions so we may see that there is no such prohibition.

His YouTube channel is all about him editorializing..... editorializing about news (However minor or major. He discusses lots of topics - mainly local stuff) or other "public interest" topics (or topics that interest him, anyway).

Separating hyperbole, editorializing and other opinion and value judgments from the value-neutral news is an easy enough task for most people. That's all that needs to be done when one encounters it anywhere, on any news channel. The human brain is an astounding filter, if only one applies it.

Some people are so biased for law enforcement that any mention of negative incidents is immediately dismissed for one nonsense reason or another. However those same people will be the first to display a line of duty death, even something barely related, to further their agenda and attempt to silence any questions about LE actions.

Now the story is only 1 sided and we don't know the details, but given the recent incidents involving NCPD cops I think an investigation into this incident is worthwhile. Some of us don't want to give these obscenely paid cops a free pass every single time.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:27 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABACAB View Post
Some people are so biased for law enforcement that any mention of negative incidents is immediately dismissed for one nonsense reason or another. However those same people will be the first to display a line of duty death, even something barely related, to further their agenda and attempt to silence any questions about LE actions.

Now the story is only 1 sided and we don't know the details, but given the recent incidents involving NCPD cops I think an investigation into this incident is worthwhile. Some of us don't want to give these obscenely paid cops a free pass every single time.
And some people are so biased against cops that they will seize on any piece of one-sided information -- including internet postings -- as gospel and try to paint an entire police force with that broad brush. Most objectively-minded people will want to hear all sides, sort fact from fiction, and then form an opinion. But you wouldn't know much about that.

FYI, have you seen the postings at all the major bridges in and around NYC? You're not permitted to take pictures. Period. Taking photos at those places is grounds for being stopped and potentially arrested. Why? It's called terrorism. And NYC and its surrounding areas are still the number one terrorist target in the US, especially mass transit facilities. What was done in Nassau -- if it in fact happened -- is well in line with heightened precautions against terrorism. But you wouldn't know much about that. Too busy complaining about all of the "bad" cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island