Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:04 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,138,632 times

Advertisements

Love Duck Walk. I'm a lover of sweet wines.

Last Spring I would go on my lunch hour. Had the place to myself.

& hey everybody please tip those who pour you the wines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 10:22 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Love Duck Walk. I'm a lover of sweet wines.

Last Spring I would go on my lunch hour. Had the place to myself.

& hey everybody please tip those who pour you the wines!
If you love the sweet ones check out Osprey Dominion. They are known for their strawberry,peach,and other fruit flavored ones.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you love the sweet ones check out Osprey Dominion. They are known for their strawberry,peach,and other fruit flavored ones.
Just had a bottle of their Regina Maris Chardonnay. Delicious.

Old 10-25-2013, 09:14 AM

76 posts, read 96,698 times
Hands down, Mattebella--- ALL of their wines are fantastic and possess a real gravitas. We ended up buying several cases of their red table wine and '08 Chard for our wedding, and the guests went nuts. Croteaux is a unique vineyard in that it only makes Rose... but their wines were also quite remarkable and included some outstanding varietals. (Truthfully, I don't gravitate towards Rose, so thus says something.) Just did a post on Coastal Village Girl about our experience at Shinn Estate Vineyards, which had some lovely reds and a fine Pinot Blanc. While no sommelier, I'd say that as a region for wine, LI is on the up and up...

Old 10-25-2013, 02:13 PM

715 posts, read 1,233,600 times
Glad this thread was revisited. I wanted to know where to go when I get the chance to go to more vineyards. Only went to Martha Clara so far and enjoyed it.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:33 PM

246 posts, read 470,473 times
Palmer and Pugliese.

Old 10-26-2013, 08:23 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
It depends on the grape. Shinn Estate has the best overall wines at prices that won't break the bank. If I wanted sweet wine, I would go with Martha Clara. If I wanted dry white, it would be Wolffer or possibly Lieb. If I wanted riesling or gewurz, it would be Lenz.

The cost/quality issue is still a big problem for LI wineries. The world is awash in cheap, decent wine. But you can occasionally still find good values. I've always like Shinn's basic red and I once had a $30 special reserve chardonnay at Wolffer that tasted like a white burgundy costing $100+.

LI wines have gotten better, but a lot of the reds still taste like grass and leaves to me -- very "vegetably." While I know Bedell is popular, I haven't yet found one of their reds that is a decent value. You taste one of their wines that's barely drinkable and then you see a price tag of $40+.

As far as atmosphere goes, I'm partial to Shinn because it's off the beaten path and is anything but commercial.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:44 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
It depends on the grape. Shinn Estate has the best overall wines at prices that won't break the bank. If I wanted sweet wine, I would go with Martha Clara. If I wanted dry white, it would be Wolffer or possibly Lieb. If I wanted riesling or gewurz, it would be Lenz.

The cost/quality issue is still a big problem for LI wineries. The world is awash in cheap, decent wine. But you can occasionally still find good values. I've always like Shinn's basic red and I once had a $30 special reserve chardonnay at Wolffer that tasted like a white burgundy costing $100+.

LI wines have gotten better, but a lot of the reds still taste like grass and leaves to me -- very "vegetably." While I know Bedell is popular, I haven't yet found one of their reds that is a decent value. You taste one of their wines that's barely drinkable and then you see a price tag of $40+.

As far as atmosphere goes, I'm partial to Shinn because it's off the beaten path and is anything but commercial.
I think there are some good wines out east but I agree they are way over priced. Most of the reds should be under $20 but since they do not produce a tremendous amount they can keep the prices high because of the amount of people that go out there.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:21 PM

177 posts, read 365,143 times
Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard and Horse Rescue is my favorite and I live on the East End. It's also next to the LIV (Long Island Vodka) tasting room, so you can hit both without driving in between.

Enjoy!

Old 10-30-2013, 04:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,528,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Mine would have to be Pindar. Though I have only been to 3 others I like their wine the best. I am actually going to a wedding in September at Martha Clara Vineyards. I went to Puglesie but I did not like the wine at all. I forgot the other two I went to.
I tried about 5-6 L.I. wineries over the years. They are all horrible and expensive to me. I like cheap wine, and L.I. Wines are twice as much and taste like turpentine to me.

Just my opinion on the above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island