Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 09:18 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,414,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
This is a terrible tragedy. I hope the perpetrator is caught and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

I really don't see where the political discussion of gun laws is relevant. Nothing I've read so far indicates whether the victims had guns, tried to own guns, would own guns, or would use guns to defend themselves.

I am not saying that because I am 90% liberal. I'm saying it because there is nothing in the story to support any discussion of it. I take a moderate view of gun ownership. I am not a gun nut by any stretch, but I do support the right to defend oneself with a legally owned firearm.

And last I checked, I'm a decent shot.
Me too I am a decent shot as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 10:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I would bet dollars to donuts this gun was originally purchased "legally" in the south...

I would bet dollars to donuts this gun was originally purchased illegally in the south 'shore'.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I would bet dollars to donuts this gun was originally purchased illegally in the south 'shore'.
After being purchased legally through loopholesat a gun show in the south and then sold off perhaps.....

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
After being purchased legally through loopholesat a gun show in the south and then sold off perhaps.....
Speculation at best.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:00 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Speculation at best.
Well most guns used in crimes in New York do originate as legally purchased guns from the south.

Anyway to put aside the gun debate, this is a huge tragedy. Thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of those affected by this tragedy.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:13 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
BIG difference there. I'd rather die getting T-boned by an 18-wheeler or be eaten alive by a pack of lions , rather than allowing some d-bag to snuff out my life like this. If one of the customers or employees was carrying, the outcome might have been different. I'd love to be able to carry and have a fighting change if a situation like this arose. I really can't think of any worse way to die than begging for mercy and allowing another human to kill you in cold blood.
I have been in that situation...and EVERYONE thinks they know how they would react...trust me you don't know anything

Old 06-19-2011, 11:47 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minesbroken View Post
I have been in that situation...and EVERYONE thinks they know how they would react...trust me you don't know anything
Which situation? T-boned, attacked by lions or held at gunpoint? How would "EVERYONE" react?

+++

YouTube - ‪Clerk Shoots Robber in The Face (Video)‬‏

YouTube - ‪Bank Customer Pulls Gun, Stops Robber‬‏

YouTube - ‪Robber Gets Shot By clerk‬‏

Old 06-20-2011, 06:13 AM

752 posts, read 1,462,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
at gunpoint, And I don't know how EVERYONE would react, neither do you and neither do they. More often than not though if someone pulls out a gun during a robbery or something its more for intimidation than murder, you pull out another gun then there's bloodshed where there wouldn't have been any.
If they're just gonna walk in and start shooting then you may as well run, they already have a gun out they already got the drop on you, its like trying to predict a car accident before it happens.
you can think about what you would do all you want
if you think you KNOW how your going to react with a gun in your face your a fool.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:54 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,197 times
What a tragic and sad story.

If only NY would allow it's citizens to exercise their rights to own & carry a firearm perhaps things like this wouldn't happen, or happen less frequently. Criminals would think twice about committing crimes, and law abiding citizens, who choose, would have the ability to defend themselves.

I own and carry guns. Just in case. Just like I carry health insurance, wear a helmet on my motorcycle, and use my seatbelt in my vehicle.

Prayers sent out to the families of those that were killed.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:15 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,105,281 times
Quote:
Well most guns used in crimes in New York do originate as legally purchased guns from the south.

Anyway to put aside the gun debate, this is a huge tragedy. Thoughts and deepest sympathies go out to the family and friends of those affected by this tragedy.
Only according to His Majesty Adolf Bloomberg so he can further his quest to ban gun ownership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island