Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 12:29 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
". . . more often than not having a gun is more likely to get YOU killed and the people around you.
That is B.S. The FBI statistics say just the opposite.
GL2[/quote]

Maybe in Nebraska.
you must be wetting yourself that a LEGALLY OBTAINED gun was used to kill 4 innocent people.
you gun lovers need to pick and choose your battles better dum dum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Maybe in Nebraska.
you must be wetting yourself that a LEGALLY OBTAINED gun was used to kill 4 innocent people.
you gun lovers need to pick and choose your battles better dum dum.
No, everywhere. The original quoted statistic was "handguns are 43 times per more likely to kill a family member than a criminal". This came from a study by Arthur Kellerman in 1986 which has been thoroughly disproven. For example, of the deaths reported in the study, the majority were suicides, and most of the rest involved felons, drug dealers, violent spouses committing assault, and other criminals. Pretty sure the study didn't factor in cases where the crime was averted simply because the intended victim displayed a gun and didn't have to use it.

Overall, most gun crime in this country is drug and gang related, both of which are largely tied to our failed war on drugs. Legalization will all but eliminate much of this.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:49 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That is the biggest unanswered question. Why slaughter four innocent people?
Exactly, doesn't make sense without a history of any previous violence to first do extreme violence.

Yet, he does have a history of taking some money from his last employer.

Too bad, he should have just wore a ski mask and take the drugs and run. He didn't have to wear that bad disguise showing his big nose, and then kill those people so no witnesses.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I don't think having certain pharmacies stop selling will stop the insanity - the druggies will just make note of who has it. Maybe having to go to a clinic, a la methadone, is the answer? It's already a drug that you need a handwritten RX for - it cannot be called into a pharmacy by a doctor. Apparently that's not enough.

If I were a tiny independent pharmacy I'd probably not carry it though.
DH was given this following a severe injury. The RX was handwritten, the chain pharmacy had to order it in about 90% of the time, and was very strict as to when the medication could be filled again with the next month's prescription. I am relieved he is no longer on this. After a while on it, I noticed him getting very irritable between doses. This crap is scary and should be banned.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
DH was given this following a severe injury. The RX was handwritten, the chain pharmacy had to order it in about 90% of the time, and was very strict as to when the medication could be filled again with the next month's prescription. I am relieved he is no longer on this. After a while on it, I noticed him getting very irritable between doses. This crap is scary and should be banned.
At the very least, it needs tighter controls like the medications under triplicate prescriptions have.

However, many of these pills may very well end up someday not being manufactured anymore because it's too much trouble (lawsuits) for the drug companies ... notice some of the old abused drugs are gone. When's the last time you've seen or heard of someone taking a quaalude, for instance.

Or it could end up becoming illegal, like the mother drug, heroin, of these opiates and synthetic opiates became. Heroin was originally a legal painkiller.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:04 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
No, everywhere. The original quoted statistic was "handguns are 43 times per more likely to kill a family member than a criminal". This came from a study by Arthur Kellerman in 1986 which has been thoroughly disproven. For example, of the deaths reported in the study, the majority were suicides, and most of the rest involved felons, drug dealers, violent spouses committing assault, and other criminals. Pretty sure the study didn't factor in cases where the crime was averted simply because the intended victim displayed a gun and didn't have to use it.

Overall, most gun crime in this country is drug and gang related, both of which are largely tied to our failed war on drugs. Legalization will all but eliminate much of this.

My response had much to do with a a guy named GUN LOVER taking aim at a gun related topic in a forum that has nothing to do with his home town. Surely you understand? I mean, what side is his sure to be on?

Though I have no desire to go back and forth on a drug legalization debate I will say there isn't much evidence to suggest legalizing drugs equals no gun crime. Before drugs, there was gun crime. Guns were invented to kill stuff-period. Let's call a spade a spade.

Old 06-24-2011, 01:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
WHAT!? How many mg was that? Your Dr is nuts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
That's excessively strong - 1 - 3 pills every 4 to 6 hours. I had taken the same stuff - initially took 2 pills every 8 hours, then took the bare minimum to wean myself off of it - take two of those pills and you are literally "flying". Was completely off the stuff in 3 days even though I had enough for 2 weeks.

One to three pills every 4 to 6 hours is spot on if you've just had some major surgery, depending on your weight. Percocet is actually an excellent drug for post-op care. If dosed correctly, it takes care of the pain but doesn't knock you completely out. Then you can get out of bed and walk around, which will make a huge impact on how fast and how well you heal.

It also makes most people more agreeable as patients. That's the irony of crime committed in pursuit of Ox: The predominant psychological effect of the drug is one of peace, love, and happiness.

Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
What the hell? There are people that actually need those drugs for legit reasons. Why does every tragedy have to turn into a platform for some tired issue? Why can't we just accept that these things happen sometimes and, while unfortunate, not everything requires some kind of legislative action.
The clamor for tighter regulation is redundant: The [URL="http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/informationbydrugclass/ucm163647.htm"]FDA is already on it[/URL]. The planned rules have [URL="http://www.google.com/search?q=rems+opioids"]been a buzz in the health care community[/URL] for two years now, just because the extensive tracking the FDA wants to require will be time- and labor-intensive and expensive, and the educational requirements will be [URL="http://www.medpagetoday.com/PublicHealthPolicy/HealthPolicy/26054"]burdensome[/URL].

Old 06-24-2011, 03:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
GL2

Maybe in Nebraska.
you gun lovers need to pick and choose your battles better dum dum.[/quote]
I don't know any of the details in the murder of these four innocents, However they ALL were unarmed correct? Here in Omaha, Nebraska there was an armed robbery in a Walgreen's store last year with a different outcome.
Walgreens shooter: 'One chance' - Omaha.com

FOAD
GL2

Old 06-24-2011, 05:46 PM

752 posts, read 1,462,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
". . . more often than not having a gun is more likely to get YOU killed and the people around you.
GL2[/quote]

The guy walked through the door and immediately killed both employees, then killed the two customers as they walked through the door. He surprised them all.
It's a moot point and a gun wouldn't have helped any of them.
Both times when I was held up at gun point, there wasn't a gun... then there was a gun in my face
unless your psychic... having a gun in those situations wont help you.
I'm not saying that there is NEVER a time where it may help you.
Nobody can know that for sure, every situation would be unique.
The real shame is that now gun advocates everywhere are saying that we need to repeal gun laws so we can have the right to carry concealed weapons...
to protect us from the other people that have registered concealed weapons...
like the guy that did this.
Incidentally if you haven't been held up at gunpoint before...you wouldn't understand anyway.
even the best laid plans of mice and men go awry.

Last edited by minesbroken; 06-24-2011 at 05:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island