Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:47 PM

426 posts, read 955,558 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any first or second hand experience with Fairfield Apt complexes?

I have read some of the reviews online and some people can't stand it, and others have no complaints.

Of the people who have had bad experiences, they ranged from the LL's not doing anything about noisy tenants, taking forever to get things fixed (plumbing, appliances, etc.....), lack of maintenance and service, etc.....

Other reviews have stated that they are nice, quiet garden apartments with good service.

Although I have to say I read more bad reviews than good, does anyone have any experience with these places?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 06:00 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,186,776 times
Default Two Thumbs Down!

I never lived in one of their places but I have heard too many bad stories about them to recommend them in general. They are noted for their extreme weaselry when it comes to creative ways to keep peoples' security deposits. If you dare move into one of their darkened doorways, I would suggest you take PICS of everything as is when you move in and when you move out in case you have to wrestle them for your rightful security deposit.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 PM

630 posts, read 2,221,854 times
I live in a Fairfield complex and this one was built in the early 60's and I have lived here almost 4yrs. There are no amenities here (work out facility, laundry, club house ...), there is an on site maintenance person. Since this is an old building and there is no sound insulation, there are sound issues. Wasn't bad as most everyone was older, but a family moved downstairs with teenagers and very young couples have moved in.

Rent like everywhere else is due on the first, but as long as you get them the rent and they cash it by the 9th of the month they don't charge a late fee. The late fee is steep, 10% of what your monthly rent is. The rent for this facility has to be mailed as there is no where to drop it, if we went to the main office in Commack to to drop it they charge you $35. They do nickle and dime you and are not real responsive.

I haven't had any real issues with them, but you will find there are only a few apartment complexes/management companies on LI. When I move out in a year I'm not sure what I will do, but I won't stay here as the apartment is to small for the $$, has no amenities and I want a W/D in unit and a garage.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 20,366 times
Default Stay CLEAR of any of their properties

I use to live at their Commack location and all though it states "LUXURY APARTMENTS" they are far from it.
Other then the carpet and the toilet seat nothing was updated in apartment, In fact bathroom was pretty bad with loose wall tiles and towel rod, and the medicine cabinet looked like it was from the 70's. The paint job looked like a blind person did it. Of course they never showed me the apartment i was going to move into... they of course showed me one that looked like it was completely renovated... in fact conveniently the work men were just finishing up... funny how no one lived in that apartment in the whole year i lived there. As far as amenities they are a joke... the fitness room has 2 bikes and a treadmill... and the "Club House" has a sofa and a TV and a small kitchen... not much room to really do anything in it. The laundry room can be a rip off... some how the machines either double charge you or don't work.... also many residents think that that the laundry room is all theirs or think that some how the clothes are gong to go from the wash to the dryer and fold themselves. They allow pets, its an extra charge of $35... they limit it to cats and med dogs... all though I dont see them enforcing this and sadly some of the residents dont do a good job picking up after their pets. Parking is another problem... i was told there is more then ample parking for all residents... some how more times then most if Im not home by 6pm Im parking outside the complex or on the opposite side of my apartment. Also the property managent uses at least 6 spots with their cars. as far as security... they have gates that you are suppose to use a key card or intercom for guest but they are always open... yet the one to leave the premises is always down, but opens up when your car is 2 feet away... As far as the residents, most of them are retirees, but there are some single parents and young couples. Sadly the the former ones dont get the concept of keeping the noise level down, especially when they are walking outside your window at 2 in the morning, stop and have loud conversation with who ever or they don't teach their children the concept of not being a herd of elephants @6am or learn how to walk down the stair case that shares a wall to your neighbors apartment. Also the complex is right behind a shopping center so you have all that noise to deal with, especially with early morning deliveries. Now as far as rent it would be cheaper to rent a house or Private apt attached to a house in the area. Granted you would most likely pay for heating if you do that, but it would still e worth it. They only do a 1 or 2 year lease and no matter how long you live with them, they will raise you rent every year. Now here is the kicker DO NOT, I REPEAT DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BREAKING YOUR LEASE... they do not tell you this when you sigh your lease, and there is nothing on the lease they explains what happens if for some unfortunate reason you need to break it. A) you are not getting you security back no matter what... if you have to break your lease you have 3 choices and PLEASE CHOOSE WISELY... choice one... you find someone to take over your lease... if they don't like said person your screwed and your responsible for your rent, and there is a fee to go with this option. Option 2 you pay rent until they find someone, there is a $500 fee to with this one and it is up to you each month to check and see if it has been leased to someone new, some how it always takes 3 months for them to find someone new. Or choice 3... you pay 2 additional months of rent on top of the security deposit and you have to be out of the apt 7-10 days before the end of the month...and the 2 months has to be paid at this time NO EXCEPTIONS... they don't care if you lost your job or your ill or what have you. You dont pay they sic the creditors after you. Oh! another interesting fact... they re-use all the locks... when you leave they take the locks form your apt and use it at another apartment... my door was not locking properly, in fact one day my door knob fell at the door... all they did was come and re install the same damaged lock... and told me that they are ordering a new one and they will replace it in a week... 4 months later when i moved out I was still waiting.

So that is my story... I hope this helps anyone who ever thinks about renting an apartment from these people... DON"T... move back in with your parents... trust me

Old 06-21-2012, 08:12 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,944,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyblondie4970 View Post
I use to live at their Commack location and all though it states "LUXURY APARTMENTS" they are far from it.
Other then the carpet and the toilet seat nothing was updated in apartment, In fact bathroom was pretty bad with loose wall tiles and towel rod, and the medicine cabinet looked like it was from the 70's. The paint job looked like a blind person did it. Of course they never showed me the apartment i was going to move into... they of course showed me one that looked like it was completely renovated... in fact conveniently the work men were just finishing up... funny how no one lived in that apartment in the whole year i lived there. As far as amenities they are a joke... the fitness room has 2 bikes and a treadmill... and the "Club House" has a sofa and a TV and a small kitchen... not much room to really do anything in it. The laundry room can be a rip off... some how the machines either double charge you or don't work.... also many residents think that that the laundry room is all theirs or think that some how the clothes are gong to go from the wash to the dryer and fold themselves. They allow pets, its an extra charge of $35... they limit it to cats and med dogs... all though I dont see them enforcing this and sadly some of the residents dont do a good job picking up after their pets. Parking is another problem... i was told there is more then ample parking for all residents... some how more times then most if Im not home by 6pm Im parking outside the complex or on the opposite side of my apartment. Also the property managent uses at least 6 spots with their cars. as far as security... they have gates that you are suppose to use a key card or intercom for guest but they are always open... yet the one to leave the premises is always down, but opens up when your car is 2 feet away... As far as the residents, most of them are retirees, but there are some single parents and young couples. Sadly the the former ones dont get the concept of keeping the noise level down, especially when they are walking outside your window at 2 in the morning, stop and have loud conversation with who ever or they don't teach their children the concept of not being a herd of elephants @6am or learn how to walk down the stair case that shares a wall to your neighbors apartment. Also the complex is right behind a shopping center so you have all that noise to deal with, especially with early morning deliveries. Now as far as rent it would be cheaper to rent a house or Private apt attached to a house in the area. Granted you would most likely pay for heating if you do that, but it would still e worth it. They only do a 1 or 2 year lease and no matter how long you live with them, they will raise you rent every year. Now here is the kicker DO NOT, I REPEAT DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BREAKING YOUR LEASE... they do not tell you this when you sigh your lease, and there is nothing on the lease they explains what happens if for some unfortunate reason you need to break it. A) you are not getting you security back no matter what... if you have to break your lease you have 3 choices and PLEASE CHOOSE WISELY... choice one... you find someone to take over your lease... if they don't like said person your screwed and your responsible for your rent, and there is a fee to go with this option. Option 2 you pay rent until they find someone, there is a $500 fee to with this one and it is up to you each month to check and see if it has been leased to someone new, some how it always takes 3 months for them to find someone new. Or choice 3... you pay 2 additional months of rent on top of the security deposit and you have to be out of the apt 7-10 days before the end of the month...and the 2 months has to be paid at this time NO EXCEPTIONS... they don't care if you lost your job or your ill or what have you. You dont pay they sic the creditors after you. Oh! another interesting fact... they re-use all the locks... when you leave they take the locks form your apt and use it at another apartment... my door was not locking properly, in fact one day my door knob fell at the door... all they did was come and re install the same damaged lock... and told me that they are ordering a new one and they will replace it in a week... 4 months later when i moved out I was still waiting.

So that is my story... I hope this helps anyone who ever thinks about renting an apartment from these people... DON"T... move back in with your parents... trust me
You need to learn how to use line breaks.

Old 06-21-2012, 08:28 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,943,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
And they need to realize what a contract is. Complaining about breaking a lease and having penalties? Its a legally binding contract.......

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 PM

148 posts, read 555,009 times
I lived in the Patchogue apartments down at the end of River Ave for a couple of years about five years ago. No complaints-they fixed if we asked. Actually left a decent sized hole in the wall (don't ask) and they didnt charge for it. You definitely take your chances with the neighbors though. Was a laundry room and ample parking. Apartment was reasonable for spouse, me and dog.

Old 06-21-2012, 02:35 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,675,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidge1114 View Post
Don't bother..this person has no intention of posting again...that was just a venting post.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 18,079 times
Fairfield knolls in west Sayville NY is horrible. They don't care about there residents at all. Very poorly run.Once you move in, you can forget about getting any repairs done. People are moving in, and are fighting to move out immediately. They took over a year ago. before that it was dutchmans cove.. IT WAS GREAT! WORST NIGHT MARE EVER...They are evicting old residents, that have been there for years, for no reason, so they can get hundreds of dollars more per unit..No amenities, for what they are charging for rent.. No Pool , but a cesspool that stinks up the property... Save yourself some aggrevation and stay away from Fairfield.. You will regret if you move there. Happy to have moved, to a much better place.... It was a blessing

Old 08-11-2013, 05:22 PM

118 posts, read 257,552 times
I lived in one a decade ago and had no problems. Got my full security back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island