Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 06:09 PM

22 posts, read 100,360 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where all the LI'ers are moving to? My husband and I are looking for a better quality of life. We would like changing seasons, but not a six month winter like we have here on LI. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 06:39 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,142,604 times
Living large and laughing easy in the Richmond VA metropolitan area.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:04 PM

23 posts, read 105,889 times
Everyone I know has headed south. Most of my family flocked down to Florida years ago with many other NY'ers. I've had a couple of friends move to N.Carolina and Georgia. My brother and his family are moving soon to the hamptons bay area of Virginia (near Virginia Beach) while my husband and I are strongly considering Dallas.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:22 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Raleigh, NC. Changing seasons, extended warm-weather seasons and culturally diverse population with very affordable housing.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:50 PM

289 posts, read 1,140,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
We would like changing seasons, but not a six month winter like we have here on LI.
We have a 6-month winter???

Real winter weather (consistent cold temps and maybe some snow) usually doesn't kick in till sometime in December, and pretty much ends sometime in March.

Once in a while we'll get a Winter From Hell but otherwise the only really bad months are January and February.

Didn't we have a bunch of 50-degree days this past November, December, early February, and March? Even a few 60F if I recall correctly.

I'll be generous and say a 4-month winter at the max. With most of our snow coming in dribs and drabs a couple or 3" at a time, and then it warms up to 40F in a day or so and just melts to slush (with the occasional "big" storm that dumps what, 8" or maybe 10" - and not every year) we're hardly in the Great White North.

Seriously though, I guess it depends on how you define "winter".

To me, New England often has a 5- to 6-month winter (Nov through March, possibly into early April), 'winter' meaning pretty consistently below freezing and fairly reliable snowfall.

LI is often above 32F except in Jan and Feb.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:43 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
I think I would go to either NC,SC FLA or PA.

Old 08-07-2007, 08:49 PM

21 posts, read 152,799 times
Think twice about Texas.I am from the Island and have been here a long time. I still have not adjusted. I have a few friends who got divorced because their husbands refused to leave Texas and they could not take it. They just picked up and moved back east and left their husbands.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:40 PM

240 posts, read 1,056,798 times
clarkstreetkid are you in the Chesterfield/ Midlothian area? We have friends who recently moved there and love it. We have strongly considered moving there as well it's really a beautiful area. Their development is nicer than any I have seen on LI, and at the price they paid, you couldn't buy a nice shack here. It's really unbelievable.

Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphins View Post
Can anyone tell me where all the LI'ers are moving to? My husband and I are looking for a better quality of life. We would like changing seasons, but not a six month winter like we have here on LI. Thanks!
We're off to CT,the wealthiest state in America for relief.

Tolland county is a relative bargain.
Twice the house half the tax with better schools.
2hrs to NYC/90 Min to Boston/1 Hrs to the Beach

Sold

C

BTW

I think we have a modest winter.3 months at best, try Syracuse for a while....thats winter.

Old 08-07-2007, 11:40 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,873,863 times
Left for the SC coast.... good schools, fraction of the taxes and haven't heard a horn honk (or the accompanying middle finger wave) yet since I moved here a year ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island