Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 09:36 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
No, the school did not introduce homosexual relations into Kindergarden, it was a kids book telling how families were all different (also mentioning things about some being raised by grandparents, interracial couples, etc), that is actually what the book in question was about and Parker objected.

Putting that aside, glad to see this pass, a sad display by Long Island Senators, but fortunately it didn't come down to them.

The book, King and King, has a photo in it depicting two adult males kissing in a romantic fashion. That is one of the reasons numerous people had taken exception to it and wanted to have the ability to opt out. One argument was that it was introducing a facet of sex ed within the school -- and parents have the right to opt out of that.

It has been a very long time, but I don't recall learning about marriage or different families in elementary school -- this was after Stonewall, after the Equal Rights movement, after women burned their bras and went out in the workplace. I had friends whose parents were getting divorced, knew one whose dad stepped out of the closet. Despite the social tempest in our nation -- we learned the 3R's in school. Relationships wasn't one of them.

Like you, I am happy for the GLBT community. I hope they are shown the respect they deserve, and that the state doesn't mandate anything which should be the right of the parent to discuss with their child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 09:41 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Strange priorities. Our economy in NY sucks, they can't pass a tax cap, our state was named the most restrictive in the US, traffic is absurd downstate, we have rampant crime, we have illegals standing on street corners, but yeah lets pass a gay marraige bill.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:43 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Not sure how old you are but those "different" families didn't exist only a couple of decades ago, mostly because gays were considered abnormal and openly shunned if not arrested on sodomy charges. It's really only in the last ten years, if not less, that tolerance is being preached, and then, only in the more progressive states. We have a LONG way to go. Read the St. Anthony's lesbian prom thread if you think otherwise.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
They have the right to define what constitutes a legally binding marriage under state law. Whatever you want to call what happens when you look up at the sky and mumble is up to you.
LOL...That's witty

Old 06-24-2011, 09:44 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Strange priorities. Our economy in NY sucks, they can't pass a tax cap, our state was named the most restrictive in the US, traffic is absurd downstate, we have rampant crime, we have illegals standing on street corners, but yeah lets pass a gay marraige bill.
Laws granting equality should be the easiest to pass.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Jeebus. The economy falling apart but we're spending time on this.
I'm gay and I think our legislators have better things to do besides earning brownie points for the next election.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:45 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
Quote:
You have YOUR priorities....They have THEIRS

Old 06-24-2011, 09:46 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
A tax cap was passed. Crime isn't rampant, and is lower than many other portions of the country, of course traffic is going to be an absurd in an area this densely populated. The group that said our state was the most restrictive thinks things like regulations against the amount of arsenic in drinking water is restrictive (they lobbied against it), and is connecting to Koch.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:49 PM

22,188 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The book, King and King, has a photo in it depicting two adult males kissing in a romantic fashion. That is one of the reasons numerous people had taken exception to it and wanted to have the ability to opt out. One argument was that it was introducing a facet of sex ed within the school -- and parents have the right to opt out of that.

It has been a very long time, but I don't recall learning about marriage or different families in elementary school -- this was after Stonewall, after the Equal Rights movement, after women burned their bras and went out in the workplace. I had friends whose parents were getting divorced, knew one whose dad stepped out of the closet. Despite the social tempest in our nation -- we learned the 3R's in school. Relationships wasn't one of them.

Like you, I am happy for the GLBT community. I hope they are shown the respect they deserve, and that the state doesn't mandate anything which should be the right of the parent to discuss with their child.
King and King came after that whole situation started, and it was not to those in Kindergarden.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Not sure how old you are but those "different" families didn't exist only a couple of decades ago, mostly because gays were considered abnormal and openly shunned if not arrested on sodomy charges. It's really only in the last ten years, if not less, that tolerance is being preached, and then, only in the more progressive states. We have a LONG way to go. Read the St. Anthony's lesbian prom thread if you think otherwise.
Living in a liberal area I have seen tolerance for the 15-16 years I am here. As a college student out here 30 years ago -- same thing. Even growing up, there was a number of people from my dad's precinct who would come to BBQs and hang out on holidays. One guy, a civilian, was openly gay and had an effeminate manner about him. I was not quite a teen when I first met him -- I loved him; he was truly a great guy. He died of AIDS in the mid 80's. Such a waste of a good person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island