Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It still wasn't those in Kindergarden or 1st grade, but that is beside the point, as that has nothing to do with the issue over if gays should have the same rights you and I have.
The Hartsell child was in 1st grade when the book was brought home.

While gays should have the same right to marry, parents should have the same right to opt their young children out of topics concerning sexuality in school.

That's my point. The rights of the heterosexual parents are eroded. Both groups should have equal rights; one group's rights shouldn't suffer because of another.

Who do you see best fit to raise a child? Two loving parents (straight or gay) or the government?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 09:43 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Government has no business being involved in human beings personal dealings and contractual relationships. What you constitute as "marriage" is between you and your partner, and is none of the government's damn business.

I look to the Bible to find out how "marriage" is defined. What you look to is your business. But NO ONE should trust government with that responsibility.

Frankly, I think gay people should be offended that the government is getting involved in their personal relationships. They should be standing up and telling government to get the hell out of their business, as heterosexual couples should be doing as well.
I agree with you in spirit. I don't think the state should be involved, either.

BUT, I'm also a realist. It will be many, many, years before the U.S. progresses to that point, if ever. As others have noted, state involvement in marriage is too much of a money-maker. Even more glaring is the authoritarian bent still present in much of the American mindset in terms of both religion and state. When you have such a large contingent of citizens still trying to mix the two with respect to reproductive rights and teaching science in public school, it's a matter of picking battles, and I think recognizing gay unions legally is a more practical, winnable fight than trying to eliminate state involvement in marriage entirely.

Old 06-25-2011, 09:46 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
My question is how do you handle a gay divorce? Currently the judges assume who fills what roles and more often than not they assume the woman is the primary care giver and the better custodial parent. In a same sex marrage the courts will now have to work to really determine who fills what role and who is the better custodian. Another question is if one of the people moves to a state without this marrige option what legal recourse do the other person have?...

There are a lot of questions to answer. For those now choosing to marry Good Luck!..

Old 06-25-2011, 10:04 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
My question is how do you handle a gay divorce? Currently the judges assume who fills what roles and more often than not they assume the woman is the primary care giver and the better custodial parent. In a same sex marrage the courts will now have to work to really determine who fills what role and who is the better custodian. Another question is if one of the people moves to a state without this marrige option what legal recourse do the other person have?...

There are a lot of questions to answer. For those now choosing to marry Good Luck!..

Good questions, all.

Maybe the answers will help break some of the assumptions the courts make in the first place.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:53 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
LOL NY. Way to go

More nonsense to pay for.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:02 AM

162 posts, read 383,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUMike View Post
Not even relevant.

Why so many of you want government to regulate something so personal and important as marriage is beyond me.

I'll believe what I want to believe about marriage, and you believe what you want to believe. Just leave government out of it.

exactly this vote was to leave government out of it.
before it was government saying who can and cant get married. Now they voted to stay out of it, and let who ever marry

Old 06-25-2011, 12:04 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
LOL NY. Way to go

More nonsense to pay for.
Everybody is equal in NY .... except for the Long Island taxpayers who have to pay for everything.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:10 PM

162 posts, read 383,458 times
wahhh, tax's, aint that a B, u have to expect to pay premium for premium location, or u can go to the carolinas

Old 06-25-2011, 02:02 PM

13,624 posts, read 7,936,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The government doesn't regulate religious and other kinds of marriage. It simply has a word that it calls a set of legal rights. Until today gays didn't have those rights.
No, you're missing my point. This will explain...

Privatize Marriage Now by Ryan McMaken

Old 06-25-2011, 03:21 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,760,727 times
I would think it takes all the fun out of being gay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island