Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:53 PM

19 posts, read 25,273 times

Advertisements

First post here and found this by accident but I'm glad I did, seems helpful here.

So wife,4 year old daughter and I are selling our house in queens to move to long island.
I work in College Point and/or Astoria in Queens and plan to commute by car.

Our budget is 425K.
We initially started looking in Mineola, Williston and New Hyde Park.
We have come across some decent places but weren't ready to put any offers because of timing.
Now our house is in contract and we getting closer to making that choice.
NOW..

We have friends in Levitown but we never wanted to move there but they have been showing us listing for houses in N Bellmore and East Meadow.

Needles to say for our money the houses there are in better condition and more bang for the buck.
It is most important that we are in a good school district for elementary and High school.
We also care to be in a nice neighborhood.

So now we are seriously considering moving towards N Bellmore / East Meadow.

If anyone out there has some insights on these towns, their school Districts and neighborhood wise I would appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

RonsHome, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 06-28-2011, 08:25 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Do you wish to be close to your friends in Levitown? Would you like access to nice beaches? Do you want to be close to College Point Queens? Do you want to be on the south shore or north shore? Are you looking for a town with a similiar vibe as Queens?

With your budget you have a lot of options of very nice towns. If you're concerned about schools, I think you can find much better than East Meadow for your budget.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
RonsHome, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).
Thanks I will study it.
I am at work now but will check it when I get home.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
Do you wish to be close to your friends in Levitown? Would you like access to nice beaches? Do you want to be close to College Point Queens? Do you want to be on the south shore or north shore? Are you looking for a town with a similiar vibe as Queens?

With your budget you have a lot of options of very nice towns. If you're concerned about schools, I think you can find much better than East Meadow for your budget.
Being close to my friends not so important.
Never considered beaches , would be nice but it is not critical in my decision.
It would be ideal for me to stay closer rather than further from my Queens job ( plus my parents live there and would be visiting often ..they love their grandkid ).
Not sure about the geography like south or north but Walter send me a map to study and I will but haven't yet.

As far as a Queens vibe not really.
I want to move towards a more spacious, less crowded, neighborly but not secluded area(close to eateries or entertainment ). At the same time own something that will hold value if possible.
Some where my kid( or kids ) can get a good public education up through High School and have friends with good values.

We would like the house to have updated kitchen, bathroom, basement and a garage ( at least a driveway ).

BTW thanks nyLiguy for spending some energy on helping us.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:45 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsHome View Post
Not sure about the geography like south or north but Walter send me a map to study and I will but haven't yet.
For a map of Nassau County, that shows the borders of the cities, villages, ZIP Code postal zones and school districts, but not hamlets, buy a Hagstrom map.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonsHome View Post
Being close to my friends not so important.
Never considered beaches , would be nice but it is not critical in my decision.
It would be ideal for me to stay closer rather than further from my Queens job ( plus my parents live there and would be visiting often ..they love their grandkid ).

As far as a Queens vibe not really.
I want to move towards a more spacious, less crowded, neighborly but not secluded area(close to eateries or entertainment ). At the same time own something that will hold value if possible.
Some where my kid( or kids ) can get a good public education up through High School and have friends with good values.

We would like the house to have updated kitchen, bathroom, basement and a garage ( at least a driveway ).

BTW thanks nyLiguy for spending some energy on helping us.
I'm biased to the South shore and would suggest you look around Merrick, Bellmore as it would be close to the Meadowbrook pkwy. Bellmore schools are good, neighborhood is good with resturants and such.

I was simply trying to ask some probing questions so others would have more details to help you. I lack knowledge of many neighborhoods as I grew up in Massapequa Park and now live in Babylon. Both great neighborhoods with excellent schools.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:52 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
If you want to stay relatively close to Queens, have you considered Rockville Centre?
It might suit your needs and there are a few homes available in your price range.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
If you want to stay relatively close to Queens, have you considered Rockville Centre?
It might suit your needs and there are a few homes available in your price range.
Are you looking on mlsli.com?

Be careful as some of the homes that state they are in Rockville Centre are really in Lakeview. (Of course, these are among the more modestly priced homes listed so there artificially appears to be a lot of bargains in Rockville Centre!) The way you can tell on mlsli.com if the homes are really in Lakeview is if they have the Malverne School District.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
BTW, did you include the higher Long Island RE taxes in your "price" calculations? Queens has much lower RE taxes (although higher water cost) than Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island