Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2011, 01:04 PM

228 posts, read 810,037 times

Advertisements

Two generations to change Hempstead is slightly ridiculous... maybe 10 years, if people actually tried... Review some other urban renewal projects that had happened all across the country (Mill Avenue in Tempe, AZ is a good example)... Hempstead is not the worst place on earth... What they need to make Fulton Avenue into an entertainment district... Buy some properties, put in hip lounges, sushi bars, and thai restaurants and the yuppies will come... afterwards, build some loft apartments for the artists and hofstra students that get their rent paid for by the their parents...
Not every place needs to have an excellent school district because not everyone has kids and want 1/2 acre of land...
Hempstead just needs something to offer certain people... The group of people ignored in Nassau are young professionals... So target development geared to them...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Two generations to change Hempstead is slightly ridiculous... maybe 10 years, if people actually tried... Review some other urban renewal projects that had happened all across the country (Mill Avenue in Tempe, AZ is a good example)... Hempstead is not the worst place on earth... What they need to make Fulton Avenue into an entertainment district... Buy some properties, put in hip lounges, sushi bars, and thai restaurants and the yuppies will come... afterwards, build some loft apartments for the artists and hofstra students that get their rent paid for by the their parents...
Not every place needs to have an excellent school district because not everyone has kids and want 1/2 acre of land...
Hempstead just needs something to offer certain people... The group of people ignored in Nassau are young professionals... So target development geared to them...
Can't happen on LI because of mandatory School District taxes. Yuppies don't want to pay $9k to support a good SD program...let alone a broken SD. They'd rather move to Brooklyn.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
the "hip lounges and sushi bars" will likely come AFTER the "artists and students" move in (e.g. Williamsburg, Bed-Stuy, and even Soho years ago).

Old 06-30-2011, 01:18 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's why I call them the Republicrats ... both sides of the same coin. They are essentially the same party and whoever is in office, Democrat or Republican, it doesn't matter, is supposed to make sure the corporations win, not the people, because we are now a corpocracy (gov't for the corporations), not a democracy (gov't for the people). Allowing gangs and illegal aliens to run wild as they do in Hempstead is just par for the course of weakening the American middle class society.
Neither side has any interest in curbing illegal immigration because they both benefit from it. Republicans get corporate dollars from the big agricultural firms and meat producers, Democracts get latino votes. Both sides avoid fallout from increased prices if the work forces of these industries suddenly had to be treated and paid like US citizens.

I posted this in another thread but look into what's going on in Georgia - state passes restrictive law against illegals, illegals leave the state in droves, farm industry is collapsing since no one wants to pick fruit all day in 100 degree heat for minimum wage with no benefits. They can't even get people out on parole to do this work. If we want to seriously address the illegal problem we need to be prepared to deal with these issues. Prices WILL go up, and industries that employ these people could go out of business if they don't reform.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:51 PM

330 posts, read 725,999 times
Lots of talk about young people leaving LI because of high house prices. Well, here's the deal. If these people that want to leave would be willing to buy a house that needs work in a troubled neighborhood they wouldn't have to leave. A) they are lazy and want a fancy house in mint condition as their first (I know this because people my age are telling me this. "I can't live in a house without granite countertops and a Viking oven, especially if it's less than 10K sq. ft"), and B) they are simply afraid to move into a non-white majority neighborhood (as most of these people are white to begin with). Take a risk folks, and you'll get a huge reward. I got a great house for $145K, yes, $145K, in Hempstead. Sure, it needs a lot of work, but you can live in it, no leaks and structurally sound and everything works. I've already added lots of value to the house by doing simple stuff like cleaning out all the overgrown bushes, powerwashing the roof and brick, fixing the lawn, painting the inside. Little things like this don't cost much but require lots of sweat (something most people my age (30) are loathe to do because they are mostly spoiled lazy soft handed pansys). I have yet to be shot or stabbed, and I have a house that will be small, but very nice in a few years, possibly doubling my initial investment through hard work. Man up people, as the economy sinks further, the people willing to innovate or break and create new trends will do fine. The rest will stay in mommys basement and b.i.tch that they can't afford that house on the water in Hewlett that they want so much. F the yuppies, we don't want them. Reprogram guys, reprogram or you will regret it.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:15 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post
Lots of talk about young people leaving LI because of high house prices. Well, here's the deal. If these people that want to leave would be willing to buy a house that needs work in a troubled neighborhood they wouldn't have to leave. A) they are lazy and want a fancy house in mint condition as their first (I know this because people my age are telling me this. "I can't live in a house without granite countertops and a Viking oven, especially if it's less than 10K sq. ft"), and B) they are simply afraid to move into a non-white majority neighborhood (as most of these people are white to begin with). Take a risk folks, and you'll get a huge reward. I got a great house for $145K, yes, $145K, in Hempstead. Sure, it needs a lot of work, but you can live in it, no leaks and structurally sound and everything works. I've already added lots of value to the house by doing simple stuff like cleaning out all the overgrown bushes, powerwashing the roof and brick, fixing the lawn, painting the inside. Little things like this don't cost much but require lots of sweat (something most people my age (30) are loathe to do because they are mostly spoiled lazy soft handed pansys). I have yet to be shot or stabbed, and I have a house that will be small, but very nice in a few years, possibly doubling my initial investment through hard work. Man up people, as the economy sinks further, the people willing to innovate or break and create new trends will do fine. The rest will stay in mommys basement and b.i.tch that they can't afford that house on the water in Hewlett that they want so much. F the yuppies, we don't want them. Reprogram guys, reprogram or you will regret it.
it must get pretty hot doing yard work while wearing a bullet proof vest.

Stay hydrated!

Old 06-30-2011, 06:39 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
it must get pretty hot doing yard work while wearing a bullet proof vest.

Stay hydrated!

I know you are joking.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:53 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thehouse View Post
I know you are joking.
It sounds like he was joking but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he wasn't because I know full-grown adults on this island who wine, freak out and act scared when they even so much as drive through a so-called "LI ghetto" on a main road at 50 mph in broad-daylight.

I feel bad for some people in Suffolk/Nassau who have that mentality because there are places in the country (and even on the opposite end of our island) that are 10x as worse as even the worst town here, and how would they react if they were to find themselves there? They would be wetting themselves at the least!

But I don't blame them, most kids grow up completely sheltered on the island and have no idea of the outside world and unfortunately eventually they have to learn the hard way... That's one of the major downfalls of suburban life.

Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,602 times

Old 06-30-2011, 07:26 PM

581 posts, read 1,243,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveoliva View Post

Great post.

Not only that, but instead of telling people to stay a away from certain areas, allow them to drive the areas and see what it is like. I drove around in Hempstead Leisurely last week and it was not as bad as people make it out to be. Yes, it is not Garden City, but there are some very nice house that needs a little TLC. I made a post about a boarded up house and it is located in Hempstead. In my opinion, it takes people who care to buy properties in these areas and turn it around. As Ive said in another post, where there are poor people, there will be crime, unkept properties, loitering, and pretty much the people will "look" poor. These people will not simply vanish off the face of this earth because god made it that way. I know the people of Long Island would like these people to leave and move to the city.

Another thing to look into before telling people they cant walk the streets at night, wear bullet proof vest etc, is that there are people who were born in these areas and have gotten old in these areas. Are you saying they were simply lucky?

Don't forget history. Blatant inequality was not so long ago where blacks where oppressed by the whites. And even till today it still is going on. Sure you don't see any signs on the door's of businesses, but if you have any common sense at all, you will see it going on. Take for example Elmont, very nice area. Clean properties with working class people, yet someone would say its unsafe then recommend a place like Hicksville or Levittown; where to me, it is the same middle class area with working class people. The only part of Elmont that does not look that great is along hempstead turnpike. From maybe the cross island parkway to about where Home Depot is.

It is going to take years for poor people, which is majority blacks/brown to get out of certain mindset. In the mean time, we have to simply try our best to direct the little children in the right direction so the cycle does not continue. Show the kids the right way. Crime is easy, the white man used it for years to get where they want to be and where they are today. Today, the big thing is corporate crime. So the crime you see in poor neighborhoods is no different. Just with a different demographic.

I truly don't think majority of you have ever been in a bad area.

Have you been in an area where the streets are locked off by 7pm?

Have you ever been in an area where you are on your porch sitting and you see people walking through your yard with AK47 as if they live there and you cant do anything but watch them go by?

Have you ever been in an area where you hear gun shots every night and people running in your house for cover?

Have you ever been in an area where it is so poor that the land you live on is not yours, yet you have no choice but to build a little shack on it to sleep, and if it rains you get wet.

Have you ever been in an area where there is no running water...what is a flushed toilet in these areas?

Hempstead would be paradise compared.

Now I am not saying Hempstead is great. But at the same time I would not suggest people to live there or not to live there. I would advise them to go see the area for themselves because there are some blocks that look crappy IMO. drive through the area during the day and during the night to get a feel of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island