U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2011, 07:43 PM

264 posts, read 561,250 times

Advertisements

As the title says, I have a real estate buyer's agent, but I just found out about a FSBO/pre-short sale of a neighbor's house that I'm interested in.

I have nothing against my agent, but I don't know how this would work with the bank and any offer I present. Am I obligated to include my agent in the process? Would this potentially hurt my offer and perhaps require me to up my price to compensate for her commission?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2011, 09:29 PM

9,302 posts, read 19,593,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruhkus View Post
As the title says, I have a real estate buyer's agent, but I just found out about a FSBO/pre-short sale of a neighbor's house that I'm interested in.

I have nothing against my agent, but I don't know how this would work with the bank and any offer I present. Am I obligated to include my agent in the process? Would this potentially hurt my offer and perhaps require me to up my price to compensate for her commission?

Thanks.

There are several issues here, and I won't cover them all, just some.

First, lenders won't accept a short sale unless the property has been listed on MLS. Most likely reason: adequate exposure to maximize amount they can recoup.

Second, if you have a Buyer Agent, you most likely signed a contract. If you did, the contract (if it's a standard Buyer Agency Contract) probably states that you will owe her a commission even if you buy on your own during the contracted period. Please read your contract carefully.
BTW, in a short sale transaction, the commission is generally paid from the sales proceeds.

Next, regarding your agent, is she experienced/knowledgeable with regard to short sales? Can she recommend a good Real Estate attorney who has ample experience with short sales?

That's it for now ;-)

Old 07-01-2011, 08:36 AM

264 posts, read 561,250 times
Thanks for the response.

With regard to the short sale, it is my understanding that the house is going to be FSBO first. If the owner cannot sell it at a price the bank will accept, then it will go into a short sale (and I assume go on MLS). My hope here is that the bank may be more willing to accept a lower offer when it's FSBO, since they would save money and time versus if it went on MLS.

You're right, I will need to, ahem, find, then review the contract. My key concern though is that if the bank needs to pay a buyer's agent commission, then they may think it's best to just go ahead with a full short sale/MLS listing. I don't recall an end date on the contract though....

As for her experience with short sales, I'm not too sure, since it's something we weren't focusing on.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:04 PM

9,302 posts, read 19,593,238 times
Quote:
Thanks for the response.

With regard to the short sale, it is my understanding that the house is going to be FSBO first. If the owner cannot sell it at a price the bank will accept, then it will go into a short sale (and I assume go on MLS). My hope here is that the bank may be more willing to accept a lower offer when it's FSBO, since they would save money and time versus if it went on MLS.
Sounds as though the sellers are trying to sell it on their own and see if they can net enough to pay the bank whatever they owe. I don't know the price/location of the property to comment on whether they have realistic expectations or not.

With regard to a lower offer vs. listing on MLS, banks have certain guidelines and this is just another property to them, so I seriously doubt that they will work with your train of thought. JMHO based on past experience though...

Quote:
You're right, I will need to, ahem, find, then review the contract. My key concern though is that if the bank needs to pay a buyer's agent commission, then they may think it's best to just go ahead with a full short sale/MLS listing. I don't recall an end date on the contract though....
Sounds like a good plan This could determine your next step.

Quote:
As for her experience with short sales, I'm not too sure, since it's something we weren't focusing on.
If it turns into a short sale, I suggest you work with someone knowledgeable - hopefully she is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island