Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 07:52 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmosandmind View Post

Lines in the stores! God forbid you just need to run in and run out, never happen around here. And who said the checkout in ALL stores are one line? They are not but people automatically stand in one line even after a cashier repeatedly yells out their are multiple lines!!!
People are afraid they'll lose their place in the present line and get tied up even longer, then there are hostile people just looking for a fight and waiting for someone to bust a move so they can confront them..."Hey buddy, you see me and this lady standing here? We got places to be too you know?"

Ah yes, the art and science of calculating the percentages, timing an chance of store lines on Long Island...

Quote:

Take a day off during the week to hang out in your yard and relax? I don't thinks so, all you will hear ALLLLL day are leaf blowers and lawn mowers--enough to drive you inside with the windows closed and the A/C on to drown out the noise.
You forgot car alarms, store alarms, house alarms, backup beepers on service and delivery trucks, people who like to "share" their music with the neighborhood, dogs who bark endlessly for hours (usually in the middle of the night) construction noise, etc...etc...

Quote:
for one but I feel pulled to stay here too, That's why I say I have a love hate relationship with Long Island.

This push pull/love/hate with LI in my head is making me crazy!!! Enough to have to post on city data!

FWIW I'm in the same boat, why it's the very nature of my username, Utah being my alter ego, but when you look closely at the stats for your own alternative location taking in employment, foreclosures and real estate market strength, crime, medical care, weather, threat of man made or natural disasters, depth and diversification of the economy, education levels, number and variety of cultural and recreational opportunities, Long Island is one tough act to follow.

And in addition to the beaches, people forget New York hosted the Winter Olympics twice (Oh yes, I left out Geographical diversity...LOL)

Don't know if this helps or just adds to the confusion, I guess Long Island needs a good Psychiatrist for those of us with Long Island Love-Hate syndrome.

New York needs another Woodstock, it's time for three more days of peace love and music, that'll sort out eveyone's angst...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:30 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Restrictions on everything but that could be state thing. NY is the Land of NO. No this, no that, you can't do this, you can't do that and on and on and on. I think that may be a result of the population density as well. But its maddening!

Take a day off during the week to hang out in your yard and relax? I don't thinks so, all you will hear ALLLLL day are leaf blowers and lawn mowers--enough to drive you inside with the windows closed and the A/C on to drown out the noise.
Gotta agree with these two. Permits and more permits to do this and that. Money grab.

Landscapers ALL DAY LONG. I work at home and everyone on my block has a landscaper, except the two on either side of me (thankfully). But that still leaves about 6 others within viewing distance and 10+ within hearing distance. Those machines are non-stop and loud. Every day of the week there seems to be one at work. Living in a town with a lot of elderly doesn't help.

Old 07-04-2011, 11:22 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
are you kidding? they have 3x the Illegals

Upstates better they have the same laws but depending on where you are
they hardly ever inforce em
Are you kidding? Texas isn't considered a sanctuary state. New York is

Texas Department of Public safety will arrest an illegal for no license and various other crimes and work on deportation.

Old 07-04-2011, 02:31 PM

208 posts, read 492,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post
People are afraid they'll lose their place in the present line and get tied up even longer, then there are hostile people just looking for a fight and waiting for someone to bust a move so they can confront them..."Hey buddy, you see me and this lady standing here? We got places to be too you know?"

Ah yes, the art and science of calculating the percentages, timing an chance of store lines on Long Island...

You forgot car alarms, store alarms, house alarms, backup beepers on service and delivery trucks, people who like to "share" their music with the neighborhood, dogs who bark endlessly for hours (usually in the middle of the night) construction noise, etc...etc...

FWIW I'm in the same boat, why it's the very nature of my username, Utah being my alter ego, but when you look closely at the stats for your own alternative location taking in employment, foreclosures and real estate market strength, crime, medical care, weather, threat of man made or natural disasters, depth and diversification of the economy, education levels, number and variety of cultural and recreational opportunities, Long Island is one tough act to follow.

And in addition to the beaches, people forget New York hosted the Winter Olympics twice (Oh yes, I left out Geographical diversity...LOL)

Don't know if this helps or just adds to the confusion, I guess Long Island needs a good Psychiatrist for those of us with Long Island Love-Hate syndrome.

New York needs another Woodstock, it's time for three more days of peace love and music, that'll sort out eveyone's angst...

Poor Babby The Noise must be awful

Old 07-04-2011, 08:14 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldIMoveOrStayPut...? View Post

Utah drivers might not be aggressive in the NY sense, but they are totally oblivious or just don't give a hoot about pedestrians! Also, they tend to get into a lane and stay there. If they are going to be turning left, they get in the left lane...despite the fact that their turn isn't for another 10 miles!

(My personal observations from a recent trip to southern UT.)

Very heavy LDS presence and from what I am learning, families and individuals are expected to remain very active in their church community. That's a fine thing, but my concern as a non LDS is that it would be difficult to be fully integrated into the community. Either way, it is a nice place.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:08 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,151,341 times
Quote:
How long have you been in Austin? How is the job market for IT? Do you find any prejudice towards New Yorkers (our accents )

I have been looking at Austin, been reading about Barton Springs area? Other areas that you could recommend?
Austin has been really good to us. We just celebrated our 6th anniversary here. Like you, we left NY twice until we finally found our home. I left LI for the first time to follow my wife to grad school in Ann Arbor. After she graduated we fullfilled our lifelong dream and moved to the city for 7 years. Manhattan was great but we didn't want to start our family there so rather than deal with 4 hours commuting every day, sky high taxes, rough winters (I could go on) we decided to get out for good. I have family in Dallas so Austin was a great fit. I stumbled on an old friend here that I hadn't spoken to in 20 yrs so we had built in friends off the bat. It was such a natural fit and easy transition and now it totally feels like home.

It's not all roses, however. It's freakin' hot but I vowed to never complain about the heat, so I don't. I prefer it to cold and snow anyday. One of my neighbors was bitten by a copperhead or rattlesnake last weekend (we live in a wooded area, just like where I grew up on LI; it's a strip mall now). It's expensive for Texas so you have to pay to live in the nice neighborhoods. I love where we live though, snakes, scorpions and all.

The IT market is ok but there is a ton of competition from graduating students that don't want to leave, transplants and locals too. Nobody cares about my NY accent. There are so many people here from all over nobody even notices. I really have to turn it up for someone to care.

Anyway, feel free to PM if you have any questions. Good luck!

Old 07-05-2011, 05:10 AM

200 posts, read 379,924 times
Cardiff. Thanks for the reply.

Snakes! I'm not afraid of them but I have two inquisitive dogs that have never met the likes of them. That's a considerationf or me. Same consideration I had for New Mexico (another area I was looking at).

I can't imagine that the IT industry would be anymore competitive than NY? But maybe there are less companies there for the jobs and as you said, lots of college kids (less pay) to compete with so that's good to know.

Thanks for the info, that was helpful. Yep. The times I left here I did the West Coast thing and Hawaii (rock fever settles in after about your 3rd year to anyone considering moving there and jobs REALLY hard to find...native Polynesians always given preference over whites though that is an unpoken fact) both times, I came home. Like I said, just really love LI. Although San Francisco is a beautitful city and I really liked the weather there. As far as acccents, when I first moved to both, I could barely finish a sentence without someone saying Where are you from? San Diego even worse than San Fran as far as that goes. Gets to ya after a while. My accent did tone down living out west but after moving back, it came back :-) As an older person, I"m fine with it now and not as self conscious about it; in fact I love Regionalism in our language!

So, I'ved lived in the locales that I always dreamed about as a kid and that's why having a hard time deciding now. Looking for a slower pace, less commute, lower property taxes, etc; all the things that usually drive people to leave.

I will just have to visit Austin, Scottsdale, Albuerquerque and see it in person and see how I feel in those places. Also love New England but since those winters are like here (or worse) might as well stay here and just visit there!

Old 07-05-2011, 08:49 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Cardiff. Thanks for the reply.

Snakes! I'm not afraid of them but I have two inquisitive dogs that have never met the likes of them. That's a considerationf or me. Same consideration I had for New Mexico (another area I was looking at).
Lived in Austin for 3 years. It is an extremely pet (dog especially) friendly city. LI on the other hand, doesn't allow dogs along any of the gazillion miles of beach and the dog parks are lame little strips no bigger than the ones in Mahattan.

Quote:
I can't imagine that the IT industry would be anymore competitive than NY? But maybe there are less companies there for the jobs and as you said, lots of college kids (less pay) to compete with so that's good to know.).
Austin is similar to NY is in that there is a continuous migration into the job market. Austin likely has more, not less high tech than NY but with the University and the explosive population growth (thanks to being ranked #1 city year after year), the competition is great. NY has an influx of foreign workers gaining entry visas for those jobs, Austin has all the displaced east, west and midwest, angry overtaxed transplants coming in. On the other hand, there are lots of feeder businesses to the high tech giants and starting a business is infinitely easier (and way cheaper) in Texas than LI.

It's a great town but dealing with a ton of recent growth, sprawl, tolls, taxes, August heat. Getting to be alot like Long Island but without the layers and layers of useless govt hacks, onerous regulations and snarky arrogant NIMBY weasels afraid of any growth or change that might help this place.

I'd move back in a heartbeat if my wife wasn't petrified to leave her job and family. When I lived there I was still a punk rocker and had to live in a hip area. I used to say "ewww, man, I couldn't live in one of those cookie-cutter developments." Now, with a wife and kid, after 10 years of LI oppression (STILL trying to get a permit for my fence and shed which were WITH the house when we bought it), taxes ($11k for a Levitt cape) and lack of culture, I'd give my left nut to live in one of those cookie cutter developments!!

Oh well, wherever you go, there you are!!

Old 07-05-2011, 02:03 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Austin's not bad for Texas but the state as a whole, like most right-wing dominated places, is a hellhole and ranks last or near the bottom of states in most important metrics.

Old 07-05-2011, 03:06 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Also, they tend to get into a lane and stay there. If they are going to be turning left, they get in the left lane...despite the fact that their turn isn't for another 10 miles!

It's the same way here in NC, OBH. My DH calls it "the hanging left turn", LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island