Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 10:19 PM

200 posts, read 379,770 times

Advertisements

I love lots of things about living here. Raised in Valley Stream, left and living back here for the past decade or so. I want so bad to leave (not sure where to go, don't think the South is for me) but I would really miss Long Island. It's my home! Yet there are so many things that annoy about it, the biggest is too many people and the traffic congestion! What used to be a 10 min ride to somewhere now takes a 1/2 hour or more because of traffic! Evacuation route?? Puleeeze! if anything bad really happens that would require that, might as well grab a bottle of Jack, head to your yard and wait for the end. The evacuation route would be one long parking lot.

The parkways, especially the Southern State! Is everyone in that big of a rush to get somewhere! WTF??? Why are the drivers so aggressive? Is it something in the water?? I like to drive fast myself but not at the expense of other drivers. And Sunrise Highway.. might as well make that a parkway..gone are the days where that was the most convenient route to take. Merrick road is a downright nightmare--how many people don't turn on their left blinker until they are AT the light giving you know warning so that you can move over and then you are stuck.

Lines in the stores! God forbid you just need to run in and run out, never happen around here. And who said the checkout in ALL stores are one line? They are not but people automatically stand in one line even after a cashier repeatedly yells out their are multiple lines!!!

Restrictions on everything but that could be state thing. NY is the Land of NO. No this, no that, you can't do this, you can't do that and on and on and on. I think that may be a result of the population density as well. But its maddening!

Take a day off during the week to hang out in your yard and relax? I don't thinks so, all you will hear ALLLLL day are leaf blowers and lawn mowers--enough to drive you inside with the windows closed and the A/C on to drown out the noise.

The food, the nightlife, the beaches, the scenic beauty of Long Island I love and even the people, for the most part but everything else really gets to me at times.

Am considering many places to relocate, a warmer climate (Scottsdale, AZ? But no ocean!! Boca?? No jobs??) for one but I feel pulled to stay here too, That's why I say I have a love hate relationship with Long Island.

This push pull/love/hate with LI in my head is making me crazy!!! Enough to have to post on city data!

Last edited by Cosmosandmind; 07-02-2011 at 10:21 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 11:00 PM

27 posts, read 74,055 times
How about Texas?

Old 07-03-2011, 08:56 AM

852 posts, read 1,442,380 times
If I wanted a more rural area for less traffic and quiet and to pay less taxes, I'd still want to remain a New Yorker. How about Upstate NY? I♥NY and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Old 07-03-2011, 09:57 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
Upstate NY is very nice and I do not think the taxes are as high as LI. What About PA? Delaware is nice.

Old 07-03-2011, 10:00 AM

208 posts, read 492,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlalac View Post
How about Texas?
are you kidding? they have 3x the Illegals

Upstates better they have the same laws but depending on where you are
they hardly ever inforce em

Old 07-03-2011, 10:22 AM

5 posts, read 10,431 times
why not move to eastern suffolk?

Old 07-03-2011, 10:27 AM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
LI has its negatives, but I'm pretty sure landscapers, aggressive drivers, and stupidity is pretty much present in every community in the US.

Old 07-03-2011, 11:26 AM

Default All Good answers

And all commute prohibitive..which brings up another sore point I have about LI. Why do the jobs here pay less than the city? For the privileged of not having to commute?

Upstate: thought of Tarrytown..taxes as bad as here;New Paltz as well. Eastern LI, would loooooove to live out there(greenport, southhold, even Northport area) but 2 hour plus commute not appealing. I've worked with people that have done that and they all looked to be on the verge of suicide. Besides, what kind of life is that to be on a train (The LIRR at that) for 20+ hours per week.

Thanks for your replies guys. I know alot of us feel this way about LI, especially those of us who grew up here and have seen it change. Like I said, i love it but it can be a really frustrating place to live.

I didn't mention property taxes! In '97 mine were $4200, they are now $8700 and counting!! I have not witnessed a corresponding increase in services as a result, if I had maybe I would not be so irritated by it!

Old 07-03-2011, 04:21 PM

2,335 posts, read 4,148,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlalac View Post
How about Texas?
How about it? It's great here, come on down!

But I live in Austin.

I won't lie, I do miss LI on occasion but it's a hard way of life; and I don't just mean money-wise. And it certainly is not the same as it was when I was a kid.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:32 PM

How long have you been in Austin? How is the job market for IT? Do you find any prejudice towards New Yorkers (our accents )

I have been looking at Austin, been reading about Barton Springs area? Other areas that you could recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island