Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 09:47 AM

10 posts, read 46,509 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I plan to convert the in-wall AC to mini-split system for a house I bought in new hyde park. I was wondering if a permit is required to
remove the in-wall AC and patching up the hole, and also for installation
of the Mini-Split system. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,412,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyftw View Post
Hi Guys,

I plan to convert the in-wall AC to mini-split system for a house I bought in new hyde park. I was wondering if a permit is required to
I don't think a permit is required to remove an in-wall AC but a permit is definitely required to install central air-conditioning. I lived in the Town of North Hempstead and central air was one of the things I had to get a permit for.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:22 AM

10 posts, read 46,509 times
Hi GPC thank you for your reply. I know traditional central AC requires the permit due to the duct work involved, I was wondering if it's the same for the mini-split system?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:40 AM
GPC

Quote:
Hi GPC thank you for your reply. I know traditional central AC requires the permit due to the duct work involved, I was wondering if it's the same for the mini-split system?
Sorry, I'm not familiar with a mini-split system (actually I don't even know what it is). Still, you'd better check with the town. The Town of North Hempstead likes to get their permit $. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited by GPC; 07-07-2011 at 11:08 AM..

Old 07-07-2011, 10:54 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,085,392 times
I would think the permit would be for the Electrical work as most central a/c's will need at least 1 220Vac source.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:02 AM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,521 times
Quote:
Hi Guys,

The electrician doing it should know what permits are required for each place since they work locally.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:42 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
To be honest I dont know anyone who gets a permit for installing central ac in a house. No saying its right tho.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:13 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
To be honest I dont know anyone who gets a permit for installing central ac in a house. No saying its right tho.
That's probably true and I didn't even realize I needed one either. The company I used to put it in of course didn't mention anything about a permit at the time of installation. I got an extensive education regarding permits when I sold my house on LI. Anyone that doesn't get a permit is taking a chance though - odds are it'll come back to bite them at some point. The unit outside of the house shows up on the survey and I think most of us on this board knows what that'll start with the town...'Oh we see you have a unit for central air on your survey, let's now check to see if you got a permit for it...' Thank God my central air was installed correctly and passed inspection years after it was installed but I've heard horror stories of people being made to rip out ductwork and redo it due to code changes, etc. Now that I know what I know I'd never take the chance and do any work without a permit. It's not worth it. Also, nosy neighbors may rat you out too - they won't see your ductwork but they'll see the unit outside of your house.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
My sister had the same experience - sold her house in GC last summer and found out at the 11th hour that there was no CO for the CAC because the electrical inspection was never done. The EI is the easiest thing in the world to pass, even for an old job, but it's just an annoyance to deal with.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
lilyftw, sorry to disappoint you, but just because your house may have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address does not mean that it is actually in New Hyde Park, especially since, as has already been pointed out on another thread, the vast majority of places that have a "New Hyde Park, NY 11040" mailing address (3,339 acres) are not in New Hyde Park (531 acres).

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island