Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 08:18 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times

Advertisements

I drive quite a bit during the day, and I notice that Long Islanders no longer pull over for emergency vehicles. I've noticed more times than not an emergency vehicle with its lights flashing and siren on, trailing another vehicle, and the other vehicle just putters along. There are exceptions, but on the most part, driver's don't seem to pay much attention to them. I just hope I don't have to be transported via ambo on the LIE or Rt. 347 in during rush hour.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Take cow-catchers off old scrapped steam engines, and mount them on the front of emergency vehicles.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Combine better soundproofing with better stereo systems in todays cars and add drivers who are paying attention to a plethora of things besides driving and there you have it.

Old 07-08-2011, 09:15 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Combine better soundproofing with better stereo systems in todays cars and add drivers who are paying attention to a plethora of things besides driving and there you have it.
very true, all the things they added to cars to make them more comfortable keep the driver less in tune with the road and its going ons

Old 07-09-2011, 07:01 AM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
What's the deal now where so many emergency vehicles just hit the " whoop whoop" sound when approaching intersections/red lights no siren on before that no sirens after. Leisurely cruising, no speeding.

I can't count the numbers of times I see that by NCPD and NCPD ambulances. I don't see it by volunteer ambulances.

Is it an emergency?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:15 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
What's the deal now where so many emergency vehicles just hit the " whoop whoop" sound when approaching intersections/red lights no siren on before that no sirens after. Leisurely cruising, no speeding.

I can't count the numbers of times I see that by NCPD and NCPD ambulances. I don't see it by volunteer ambulances.

Is it an emergency?
Having a siren on constantly is not always necessary and can actually be dangerous at times where other emergency vehicles may be responding.(you can't hear their siren if yours is always on)
Sounds like they only needed to use the siren to cross the intersection and not to clear a lane of traffic.

As for the leisurely speed, a patient may be receiving treatment in the back, so a gentler ride may be necessary while still getting to the hospital as quickly as possible.

Police units responding to crimes in progress may limit their use of sirens and lights so as to not alert criminals to their arrival.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:06 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post

Is it an emergency?
Different set of requirements in the Vehicle and Traffic Law on use of lights and sirens between police vehicles and other emergency vehicles. Non-police vehicles must display all emergency lights and use sirens at all times when violating traffic laws.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:18 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
NYS law "the Ambrose-Searles Move Over Act" was signed into law Jan.1st of this year.

The new law requires motorists to slow down when they come upon an emergency vehicle on a road shoulder. On highways and parkways, the law also requires motorists to move over a lane — when safely possible — to give the emergency vehicles and their occupants room to operate safely.

The associated fines are up to $150 and state surcharge of $85.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:33 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I drive quite a bit during the day, and I notice that Long Islanders no longer pull over for emergency vehicles.
Sorry to tell you this has been happening for close to 30 years. Its been in the last 20 years that they, and NYC residents too, have been cutting ambulances off.

Most people don't comprehend that an ambulance in motion with lights flashing runnind at or below speed limit (sometimes way below due to road conditions) usually means they are working on someone in the back but have to keep in motion to get to the hospital.

Quote:
NYS law "the Ambrose-Searles Move Over Act" was signed into law Jan.1st of this year.
Quote:
The new law requires motorists to slow down when they come upon an emergency vehicle on a road shoulder. On highways and parkways, the law also requires motorists to move over a lane — when safely possible — to give the emergency vehicles and their occupants room to operate safely.

The associated fines are up to $150 and state surcharge of $85.
It should be tripled and require community service in an ambulance.

And yes in one of my past lives I was a NYC Paramedic, whose career was ended when my ambulance was side swiped, that was running at full lights on a highway, by a car (he cut us off so close that his rear bumper hooked our front bumper) that decided that they needed to be in front of us because we were not going fast enough. We rolled and crashed into a grassy center median with trees.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:52 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,990,482 times
happened to me in Babylon Village today!

I'm the first car at the light, I was sitting there waiting for the green when I hear the siren approaching the intersection. Light turns green, but now I see the ambulance with lights and sirens, so I decide to sit and let them go through. Meanwhile, Lumpy in the Vue behind me decides to lean on the horn and throw his hands up like with the "wtf?" face.
I waste no time. I turn around in my seat, point and gesture my hand toward the emergency vehicle, give him the "duh?" face and he quickly seems to realize why I haven't gone through the light, quickly breaks eye contact immidiately after... Mrs. Lumpy in the passenger seat looked embarrassed.

I've had multiple occasions where I'd do a soft pull over (where I don't stop completely, but indicate and ride the hard shoulder at reduced speeds) for a police car rapidly coming up behind me, and other cars that were behind me would go aound me and continue on their merry way.

It's not like they get where they're going any faster since I catch up to them in traffic a few minutes later......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: