Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,924,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Yes and No. It depends on the area. Often the higher class areas will remain higher class. Examples: the Herricks area. The schools are half white and half Asian now, but it is still one of the best - homes are very expensive. Same goes for Half Hollow Hills, Roslyn, Manhasset, Syosset, Jericho, East Williston, and some others. What you have are professional and business owning Asians moving into formerly White (also Jewish) areas. The hybrid area still shares the same emphasis on education, cleanliness, order. Nothing really changes except the census report.

The problem is with the former white working class areas. These areas are seeing a real change. These areas are under real pressure. As white flight takes on a new dimension - whites leaving for other parts of the country now - they are being replaced with blacks and/or hispanics from the lower class areas of Brooklyn and Queens or from neighboring minoity areas. Example: Farmingville. Never a great place, but not bad either - now it is crawling with illegal immigrants. 20 to a house, etc... The problems in Farmingville will spread out to Ronkonkoma and Medford. I think Medford is already changing. Deer Park is now on the cusp of real change. I went down Carlspath the other day and couldn't believe how crappy that general area has become.

So overall the gap in wealth on Long Island is getting worse. The middle class and working class white population is being replaced.

The problem is simple: There are not enough whites moving to Long Island to replace the whites that are leaving Long Island. The shortfall is being made up with blacks, hispanics and Asians. This trend is not going to change.
there was an implication here that just because the working class areas like farmingville were all white years ago it made them better & the white people left because they couldn't afford it.....I'm not really following the OPs theory.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:58 PM

553 posts, read 1,932,058 times
Quote:
Why whites on Long Island perceive minorities as a danger?

Most of us (meaning whites on LI) are the children and grandchildren of people who had to leave their beloved neighborhoods of Brooklyn, the Bronx and Queens. Our Parents and Grandparents had to leave because their neighborhoods became unsafe, the schools went down the toilet, and the quality of life declined. The old neighborhoods that were once Italian, Irish, German, Scandanavian changed in the 1960s and 1970s - those neighborhoods became black and hispanic. Now it is happening again on Long Island. Know your history.
This is a pretty true statement I am italian german and irish and my parents are from brooklyn we were brought up with those very beliefs.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:00 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,483,790 times
Implication. I just said it.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:01 PM

and BTW when all those that took the "white flight" and moved to NC, I'm SURE they'll be surprised at how UNLIKE LI it is when it comes to schools & neighborhoods being divided into races.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:03 PM

Yeah. Those Southern Whites don't know nothing about dividing races. ???

Old 08-09-2007, 07:04 PM

farmingville is getting a bumb rap most of it still is very nice,people that dont know think of thousands of illegals running around.They are doing there best to get rid of them.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

Good for them. Unfortunately its a losing battle.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:07 PM

I am lost with you twothe south is funny the whites hate the blacks but the schools are mixed.

Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY62 View Post
I am lost with you twothe south is funny the whites hate the blacks but the schools are mixed.
exactly, the OP claims whites are being forced off LI by the minority population, however MOST the people I know leaving LI are going straight to NC....would they really be going there if they were trying to get away from a mixed racial population????

Old 08-09-2007, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Good for them. Unfortunately its a losing battle.
maybe but at least there fighting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island