Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 12:22 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Answer me this. Are you willing to pay the inflated prices for the products you use if they were to be paid a regular living wage like the rest of us.

I cut my own grass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

93,282 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
NOTE: I AM NOT HISPANIC!!!

So in the past month is have seen a few major hot button items when it comes to the Hispanic community on the island. Then yesterday came the history of Central Americans on Long Island. The threads start off innocently enough but quickly become laced with racial undertones and accusations of racist comments. Look I came to this county as a legal immigrant as a child and assimilated into the American culture and became a citizen so I dislike illegal immigration just as much as the other person but what I am not getting is that everyone seems to have an opinion but no one seems to have a solution to the problem of illegal immigration, and with the economy in the toilet people are getting frustrated and accusing them of stealing jobs and being parasites. I am thinking sooner or later this will come to a boiling point and we are going to read about killings or beating with a racial undertone.
Too late. Check out the Intelligence Report website and they had a magazine issue where they talked about attacks towards Hispanics based on their ethnic background.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
I say this again. I don't see the neighborhood kids willing to cut lawns or the unemployed working age men willing to work in the hot sun on farms or other manual jobs for just above minimum wadges. So explain to me what jobs are they taking?

Let's just say for once your landscaper (if you don't use one) your neighbor's decide to hire only documented legal workers and is forced to pay them $15-20 an hr as appose to $8-12 and hr.(high estimate) and they decide to raise the cost of cutting your lawn by $15 would you be ok paying the extra money?

Remember we as Americans love Wall-mart faster cheaper.
The love of faster cheaper is bad for the long term health of the country. Food should cost what it's supposed to cost, mowing a lawn should cost what it's supposed to cost as per the market..why are laws being circumvented to break down the economic system and circumvent the market that we hear so glowingly about from the right wing?

It's funny, when they don't like the results, ie driving wages up for lower income people, all of a sudden the laws of supply and demand don't matter, we have to break the law to get around them by importing exploitable 3rd world labor from outside the system and call it the "global" economy.

If you paid enough for farm workers, you would get plenty of them. Ok, so now a head of lettuce costs $5. So people start growing lettuce on LI instead of having it trucked from the Central Valley. Everything would work itself out over the long run, and the standard of living for the average person in the US would IMPROVE.....the farm worker making more money puts more money into the econony HERE because he isn't sending it home to Mexico!! He pays TAXES. Can you believe it?

However, this would work against the trend of the last 40 years of having all the wealth continue to mover further and further up the ladder (otherwise known as "trickle down"), and we can't have that.

Overall a huge decrease in the number of illegal immigrants would be a very beneficial thing for the country as a whole..it would be a bad thing for the illegal immigrants who have to go back to Mexico (I feel bad for them but it's our government's job to work for Americans not Mexicans) and it would be a bad thing for the business owners who get rich off of exploiting illegal immigrants....for virtually everyone else it would be a positive thing.

Some things would get more expensive, but things like health care costs would start to level off, school taxes also as you have fewer kids to fewer poor parents who also aren't paying taxes living in illegal rentals.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:41 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The love of faster cheaper is bad for the long term health of the country. Food should cost what it's supposed to cost, mowing a lawn should cost what it's supposed to cost as per the market..why are laws being circumvented to break down the economic system and circumvent the market that we hear so glowingly about from the right wing?

It's funny, when they don't like the results, ie driving wages up for lower income people, all of a sudden the laws of supply and demand don't matter, we have to break the law to get around them by importing exploitable 3rd world labor from outside the system and call it the "global" economy.

If you paid enough for farm workers, you would get plenty of them. Ok, so now a head of lettuce costs $5. So people start growing lettuce on LI instead of having it trucked from the Central Valley. Everything would work itself out over the long run, and the standard of living for the average person in the US would IMPROVE.....the farm worker making more money puts more money into the econony HERE because he isn't sending it home to Mexico!! He pays TAXES. Can you believe it?

However, this would work against the trend of the last 40 years of having all the wealth continue to mover further and further up the ladder (otherwise known as "trickle down"), and we can't have that.

Overall a huge decrease in the number of illegal immigrants would be a very beneficial thing for the country as a whole..it would be a bad thing for the illegal immigrants who have to go back to Mexico (I feel bad for them but it's our government's job to work for Americans not Mexicans) and it would be a bad thing for the business owners who get rich off of exploiting illegal immigrants....for virtually everyone else it would be a positive thing.

Some things would get more expensive, but things like health care costs would start to level off, school taxes also as you have fewer kids to fewer poor parents who also aren't paying taxes living in illegal rentals.

I agree with you to some extent but the major problem with the market correcting itself and things working out it we no longer make any tangible goods and a large portion of our prices are speculative so we have no real way of knowing the true cost of the goods and services we consume because of the added expenses beyond our control.

The middle class would suffer the most (yes trickle down) dis not work when Regan introduced it and its still not working. The problem would goods costing more is that the middle class are not being paid more. Corporations are not concerned about employees so unless you have a fair way for them to raise employee pay more than the 2% inflation number or in come cases cut it won't work.

We need the cheap labor. It just needs to be managed better.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:49 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Quote:
I agree with you to some extent but the major problem with the market correcting itself and things working out it we no longer make any tangible goods and a large portion of our prices are speculative so we have no real way of knowing the true cost of the goods and services we consume because of the added expenses beyond our control.

The middle class would suffer the most (yes trickle down) dis not work when Regan introduced it and its still not working. The problem would goods costing more is that the middle class are not being paid more. Corporations are not concerned about employees so unless you have a fair way for them to raise employee pay more than the 2% inflation number or in come cases cut it won't work.

We need the cheap labor. It just needs to be managed better.
No, the first thing we need is to gradually introduce tariffs on imported goods, then the manufacturing would be forced to come back. Unfotunately, when you owe the countries main importer most of your debt, it's not really a great idea to start a trade war with them.

Then, if you still find that you need more immigrants, you allow a controlled and specific number of people from various parts of the world, not just 10 million people from the same country, so on that part of it we agree.

We will never be able to compete on manufacturing with countries that pay people in a week what we pay in an hour without some sort of tariff to level the playing field. We hold a powerful card in the fact that our market is the one that manufacturers covet.

So, you want to sell here, pay up or move your manufacturing facility here. It's funny how quickly global capitalists wilt under this argument: Oh, you can't do that, you'll destroy the economy with tariffs!! Translation: "Hey, don't try to stop me from destroying the economy by downsizing and moving jobs overseas, I'm getting friggin rich here!!"

Old 07-11-2011, 08:59 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
It's another in a long line of wedge issues pushed by those in power to distract us while they plunder the lower and middle class. The cost of illegal immigrants to us is negligible compared to the amount of class warfare that's been perpetuated by both the Repubs and Dems with their lust for unrestrained capitalistic greed.
This. Illegal immigration is a problem but a minor one in the scheme of things. The neoliberal economics practiced by our government and supported by those who don't know any better have been driving this country into ruins for decades. This country is dying, and the rich vampires are sucking what's left of its blood for themselves while driving the poor and middle class further into ruin.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
It's another in a long line of wedge issues pushed by those in power to distract us while they plunder the lower and middle class. The cost of illegal immigrants to us is negligible compared to the amount of class warfare that's been perpetuated by both the Repubs and Dems with their lust for unrestrained capitalistic greed.

Word!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:15 PM

208 posts, read 492,144 times
i have an idea to solve the Illegal Problom have cops randomly Card People on the Streets

and have Sniper towers every 20 feet for 200 Miles on the Texas Boarder!

Old 07-12-2011, 04:32 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
i have an idea to solve the Illegal Problom have cops randomly Card People on the Streets

and have Sniper towers every 20 feet for 200 Miles on the Texas Boarder!
maybe you could get them to teach you how to spell before you shot them...

Old 07-12-2011, 07:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,458 times
I don't notice this at all. I am Hispanic and don't think there are any more threads targeting Hispanics any more than other ethnicities? Maybe you are reading too much into what certain racist folks are posting here?

I totally agree that distracting posts like this don't help either...the whole 'Divide and conquer' is a smart ploy to target citizens to fight each other over stupid s..hitt like this instead of focusing on finding solutions to major problems that really affect us all (the crappy economy, etc). Come on people, there are more interesting topics to discuss!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island