U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 09:13 AM

863 posts, read 1,994,435 times

Advertisements

NOTE: I AM NOT HISPANIC!!!

So in the past month is have seen a few major hot button items when it comes to the Hispanic community on the island. Then yesterday came the history of Central Americans on Long Island. The threads start off innocently enough but quickly become laced with racial undertones and accusations of racist comments. Look I came to this county as a legal immigrant as a child and assimilated into the American culture and became a citizen so I dislike illegal immigration just as much as the other person but what I am not getting is that everyone seems to have an opinion but no one seems to have a solution to the problem of illegal immigration, and with the economy in the toilet people are getting frustrated and accusing them of stealing jobs and being parasites. I am thinking sooner or later this will come to a boiling point and we are going to read about killings or beating with a racial undertone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 09:20 AM

19,812 posts, read 25,206,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post

So in the past month is have seen a few major hot button items when it comes to the Hispanic community on the island. Then yesterday came the history of Central Americans on Long Island. The threads start off innocently enough but quickly become laced with racial undertones and accusations of racist comments. Look I came to this county as a legal immigrant as a child and assimilated into the American culture and became a citizen so I dislike illegal immigration just as much as the other person but what I am not getting is that everyone seems to have an opinion but no one seems to have a solution to the problem of illegal immigration, and with the economy in the toilet people are getting frustrated and accusing them of stealing jobs and being parasites. I am thinking sooner or later this will come to a boiling point and we are going to read about killings or beating with a racial undertone.
I agree with you.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:06 AM

732 posts, read 1,635,613 times
It's another in a long line of wedge issues pushed by those in power to distract us while they plunder the lower and middle class. The cost of illegal immigrants to us is negligible compared to the amount of class warfare that's been perpetuated by both the Repubs and Dems with their lust for unrestrained capitalistic greed.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 AM

13,365 posts, read 15,823,525 times
Quote:

The government looked the other way for years at illegal immigration, which lead to a massive and unprecedented increase in Spanish speaking people. You are bound to have problems in a situation like this where this a signifcant cutural change in certain areas. You have the native born people who fear change. With things like MS13, they in many instances have some reason to fear change. Other times it's just pure unadulterated prejudice. Either way, when you have a high unemployment rate and millions of undocumented people competing for jobs with legal citizens, you are going to have problems and anger, so no one should be surprised.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,411,965 times
It is a problem. It is not predjudism as some would have you believe. It is an immigration problem that is not being enforced and costing the state and nations billions of dollars.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The government looked the other way for years at illegal immigration, which lead to a massive and unprecedented increase in Spanish speaking people. You are bound to have problems in a situation like this where this a signifcant cutural change in certain areas. You have the native born people who fear change. With things like MS13, they in many instances have some reason to fear change. Other times it's just pure unadulterated prejudice. Either way, when you have a high unemployment rate and millions of undocumented people competing for jobs with legal citizens, you are going to have problems and anger, so no one should be surprised.

I say this again. I don't see the neighborhood kids willing to cut lawns or the unemployed working age men willing to work in the hot sun on farms or other manual jobs for just above minimum wadges. So explain to me what jobs are they taking?

Let's just say for once your landscaper (if you don't use one) your neighbor's decide to hire only documented legal workers and is forced to pay them $15-20 an hr as appose to $8-12 and hr.(high estimate) and they decide to raise the cost of cutting your lawn by $15 would you be ok paying the extra money?

Remember we as Americans love Wall-mart faster cheaper.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
It is a problem. It is not predjudism as some would have you believe. It is an immigration problem that is not being enforced and costing the state and nations billions of dollars.

Please research Georgia's problems.

Restrictive Immigration Law Continues to Threaten Georgia

Old 07-11-2011, 12:03 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,411,965 times
Quote:
Please..

This "we need them" propaganda is garbage.

If they want to be here apply for citizenship the legal way, get your social security cards and drivers licenses.

Then go get me a peach.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Please..

This "we need them" propaganda is garbage.

If they want to be here apply for citizenship the legal way, get your social security cards and drivers licenses.

Then go get me a peach.

Answer me this. Are you willing to pay the inflated prices for the products you use if they were to be paid a regular living wage like the rest of us.

Old 07-11-2011, 12:08 PM

Also if that's your stance then I assume you're in favor of the dream act?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>