Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 10:38 AM

79 posts, read 232,417 times

Advertisements

I recently moved to West Babylon near Belmont Park, I have a handful of options for taking the LIRR to work.

I tried Babylon station, but with all their restrictions and the added expense of their metered parking lots (appox 600/yr), I decided against using that station - even though it has the best train schedule.

I have been using the Lindenhurst station, which is very nice, though I have to find parking on a side street since I cannot get a permit (beings I live in West Babylon).

My other options are Deer Park and Wyandanch stations. Wyandanch is definitely closer than Deer Park, but I am a little uneasy about using that station. I've heard and read things that lead me to believe its not such a great area so I figure I'd ask the City-Data community to get some opinions.

Do any of you take the LIRR from Wyandanch? Do you feel its a safe place to park/walk to the train? Are there usually parking spots available in the AM?

Thanks in Advance - and I hope I do not offend anyone with my questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2011, 11:19 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Use Wyandanch all the time. 5:49AM train, no problems ever, plenty of free parking. Even ok at 6:30 & 7:00, though it does get fuller by then.

Old 07-11-2011, 11:44 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,327,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsui View Post
I recently moved to West Babylon near Belmont Park, I have a handful of options for taking the LIRR to work.

I tried Babylon station, but with all their restrictions and the added expense of their metered parking lots (appox 600/yr), I decided against using that station - even though it has the best train schedule.

I have been using the Lindenhurst station, which is very nice, though I have to find parking on a side street since I cannot get a permit (beings I live in West Babylon).

My other options are Deer Park and Wyandanch stations. Wyandanch is definitely closer than Deer Park, but I am a little uneasy about using that station. I've heard and read things that lead me to believe its not such a great area so I figure I'd ask the City-Data community to get some opinions.

Do any of you take the LIRR from Wyandanch? Do you feel its a safe place to park/walk to the train? Are there usually parking spots available in the AM?

Thanks in Advance - and I hope I do not offend anyone with my questions.
(In live in the same area as you.)

Yes, the area where the train station is at is a bad area but thousands of people use it every day and manage to stay alive! I never hear about violent crime occurring at the train station (though there was a taxi-cab robbery a few months ago or somethin like that)

But the bottom line is that most people won't start trouble with you if you don't start with them so just go about your daily life, don't let your guard down and you will be absolutely fine: trust me. I used to take the train daily from there for almost 12 months to Penn Station and i'm still here!

One thing I must tell you about is last summer, there were swarms of bees that infested the deck but they didn't really bother anybody but they probably got rid of it by now.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-11-2011 at 11:56 AM..

Old 07-11-2011, 11:45 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Use Wyandanch all the time. 5:49AM train, no problems ever, plenty of free parking. Even ok at 6:30 & 7:00, though it does get fuller by then.

I agree with you Buckthedog.!! I use that station all the time. Live in Deer Park and park next to the $90,000 esculade or the $80,000 benz all the time. I come back my car is still there. The only think like Buck said it gets crowded after 8:30 because people from Dixhills and all the surrounding areas park there.

Don't believe the hype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island