Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2011, 07:56 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times

Advertisements

I have heard the 2001-04 Ody's had some major issues with the transmissions. Does anyone know for sure that the later models like 08' are okay ?
I am interested in buying the 08' ody EX-L with 35k miles on it.

Any opinions/recalls/issues I need to worry about ?

Appreciate all the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 08:01 AM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
i have an 09, had a few recalls, nothing huge. let me dig them up for you.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
2002-2004 transmissions carry a BYBA code. The '05-'08 has a BGRA or PGRA code. Honda changed some clutch plates but the soft parts (D-rings, o-rings, case gaskets, etc) are the same as the earlier models. The transmissions are virtually the same.
The BYBA is a good seller in the aftermarket, the BGRA not so much. This indicates that repairs are needed as the vehicles age and rack up miles. This is a good sign.
I say buy the thing.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:58 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
08 & laters are ok. to date, I had one recall but it was a non event. Its am excellent van & does what it needs to do.

I have 09 LX with 25k miles currently. Its probably lower trim than you would like, I would like to unload this car after next month probably if you are interested. Not a rush thing.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunk10 View Post
i have an 09, had a few recalls, nothing huge. let me dig them up for you.
Thanks, I was reading the horror stories last night on the 01-04 tranny issues and class action suite etc ** shudder **

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
2002-2004 transmissions carry a BYBA code. The '05-'08 has a BGRA or PGRA code. Honda changed some clutch plates but the soft parts (D-rings, o-rings, case gaskets, etc) are the same as the earlier models. The transmissions are virtually the same.
The BYBA is a good seller in the aftermarket, the BGRA not so much. This indicates that repairs are needed as the vehicles age and rack up miles. This is a good sign.
I say buy the thing.
Zilla, let me see if I understood you.... BYBA being a good seller means more people want it to repair faulty tranny's and thereby there was an issue right ???? BGRA, not in demand means its fairly stable ????
Are you thinking its repairs due to normal ageing of the car and not a manufacturer defect ? From what I see, there were some serious issues with the prior transmissions. (I read a few comments abt people on their 3rd transmission before 100k miles)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
08 & laters are ok. to date, I had one recall but it was a non event. Its am excellent van & does what it needs to do.

I have 09 LX with 25k miles currently. Its probably lower trim than you would like, I would like to unload this car after next month probably if you are interested. Not a rush thing.
Yeah, I kinda need it right now.... so I have to bite the bullet !!

I read this article abt how used car values have gone up.... jeez, I had no idea it would be this bad.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Thanks, I was reading the horror stories last night on the 01-04 tranny issues and class action suite etc ** shudder **

Zilla, let me see if I understood you.... BYBA being a good seller means more people want it to repair faulty tranny's and thereby there was an issue right ???? BGRA, not in demand means its fairly stable ????
Are you thinking its repairs due to normal ageing of the car and not a manufacturer defect ? From what I see, there were some serious issues with the prior transmissions. (I read a few comments abt people on their 3rd transmission before 100k miles)

Yeah, I kinda need it right now.... so I have to bite the bullet !!

I read this article abt how used car values have gone up.... jeez, I had no idea it would be this bad.

No issue. It is normal for popular vehicles to go through a repair phase as they age. As I said, this is a good sign. A bad sign would be a demand for 2 year old aftermarket parts. This means the units are failing prematurely. The normal repair cycle should be aprox 4 years. This can change depending upon circumstances; fleet vehicles, for example, will fail sooner than later.
Later Odyssey codes have not hit their repair phase yet-good sign.

The internet has a way of making "Problems" seem worse than they are. Honda had a few issues and extended the warranties of those vehicles. I have not heard of any new issues with Honda transmissions. There were some chatter issues with the clutches from time to time but Honda even fixed that (This pops up more on rebuilds than OE units).
Test drive the car, be sure to get it up to operating temp. If the tranny shifts nice and tight you are golden.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
No issue. It is normal for popular vehicles to go through a repair phase as they age. As I said, this is a good sign. A bad sign would be a demand for 2 year old aftermarket parts. This means the units are failing prematurely. The normal repair cycle should be aprox 4 years. This can change depending upon circumstances; fleet vehicles, for example, will fail sooner than later.
Later Odyssey codes have not hit their repair phase yet-good sign.

The internet has a way of making "Problems" seem worse than they are. Honda had a few issues and extended the warranties of those vehicles. I have not heard of any new issues with Honda transmissions. There were some chatter issues with the clutches from time to time but Honda even fixed that (This pops up more on rebuilds than OE units).
Test drive the car, be sure to get it up to operating temp. If the tranny shifts nice and tight you are golden.
ok, thanks for the tip buddy.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I have a 07 odessey that I love ; it has almost 100,000 (all mine) miles on it. There was one recall that I remember. It was bought new in Dec 07.

Go for it

Old 07-12-2011, 12:46 PM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
yes the used car market went up. Its partly due to the terrible incident in japan causing a ripple effect in used car mkt. In the future, hopefully the tide will turn back

Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM

188 posts, read 416,384 times
I have an '03 model (81k on the clock) since new and while I've been fortunate to not have replaced the transmission, two of my neighbors ('02 & '04) did. I do have minor issues like the factory CD player broke in year 4 and both rear window motors do not work.

I am not sure when the issue was addressed by Honda but the liquid filled motor mounts are also a prevalent problem for many model years in the Odyssey.

Good luck with your purchase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island