Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 03:34 PM

752 posts, read 1,461,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LMAO!

I am sitting sipping on a large 7's coffee purchased a little earlier from the 25A 7-11 across from SBU & the LIRR. It has been in that location, bordering on a residential community, long before I attended SBU in the early 80's. We are walking distance to it and it has had no impact whatsoever on out QOL. The local residents all know the owner; an Asian woman who runs a very tight ship. Perhaps this helps with the store being a good neighbor.

It is busy in spurts throughout the day -- especially in the AM before the trains and with car commuters. Interestingly enough, it is fairly quiet at night -- despite the hordes of college students and hospital across the way.

As for the people who are opposing this in Northport -- isn't there a McDonald's over there and some other stores? It's not as though there aren't other commercial buildings there. If a bar or nightclub was proposed for the site I could understand the local residents getting upset.
Almost all the 7elevens I know of border a residential neighborhood, there is the one on route 110 in halesite that's been there forever, there is one In Northport on larkfield road just north of the train station that has been there forever. Now they built another one just south of the train station, it hasn't caused more traffic...
this whole campaign is just absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 07:09 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,749,830 times
If you allow a 7-11 to open, the terrorists win!

Wait, why are we so upset again?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM

13,509 posts, read 17,015,581 times
Come over here to Smithtown..there are 4 7 elevens, 2 basically on non-commercial resedential roads: Townline Road, Motor Parkway..and then 2 more on Smithtown BVD with houses as their neighbors.

This is silly.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:36 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,451,616 times
In California 7-11's are crime magnet, sleazy places that no one wants anywhere near their homes. On Long Island, people applaud them. I have never seen so many 7-11's or drugstores in one area in my life.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,676,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
In California 7-11's are crime magnet, sleazy places that no one wants anywhere near their homes. On Long Island, people applaud them. I have never seen so many 7-11's or drugstores in one area in my life.
Applaud? I think that's a bit much. Many people I know go for their morning coffee, a roll, the paper, lottery tickets. The kids head over there for candy and Slurpees. Growing up there used to be a neighborhood lunch counter with a big candy selection and comic books -- nothing like that exists around here now. 7-11 has filled that spot.

It is interesting to see the difference between the coasts.

We do have a lot of chain drugstores -- CVS stores pop up like mushrooms after the rain. I have no idea why; it's overkill. I can tick off 5 within 5-6 miles of my house.

If we could only get an In-N-Out.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:00 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,451,616 times
Unless you smoke cigarettes or love their coffee, I can't see why you'd ever go into one.

Old 07-19-2011, 05:45 AM

33 posts, read 78,573 times
There's a 7-11 in Greenlawn and sometimes (horror!) I see half a dozen cars parked out front. At night the pizza place next door gets more traffic. This is a big to-do over nothing.

There's a dairy barn on 25A not far away that gets idling cars sitting there all the time - if Northport can survive Dairy Barn, I'm sure it can survive 7-11.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:09 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,683,379 times
The reason I posted the original post is the Town Board of Huntington has been down zoning every thing that comes before them and is only required to notify residents within 200 feet of the plan and that should not be, so thank goodness for the Internet for spreading the word and glad I gave some fodder for others that make remarks and have no interest in the Town of Huntington and its future.In the coming election 3 members of the board will be up for reelection lets wait and see what the folks want for the future of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island