Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 07:21 PM

401 posts, read 944,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Common sense died just prior to the Vietnam era.

I think you need some perspective...
The crazy motorcyclist was in and out of your life-forever-in a matter of seconds.
If you pay attentioln to your fellow cage...er, CAR drivers habits you will truly be frightened. Think about it.

Many people take things far more personally than they should. When a bike passes you, or splits between you or passes you, it's not an attack on your family or your manhood. Just let it go-it's no big deal. Is it???

If you really pay attention, you will see cars have near misses with bikes all the time. The #1 car/bike accident statistic is the car making a left turn INTO the path of the motorcycle. As you lay dead on the pavement the car driver is telling the cop, "Gee, I didn't see him".
The difference is motorcyclists let this stuff go. They don't go on to CD and start threads about "CRAZY CAMRY DRIVERS".

Seriously, I think most people can't drive. Everyone THINKS they can drive and very few would ever admit to being lousy drivers but there are so many out there I think there's a good chance those pointing their fingers are just plain horrible drivers.
Hey Zill, Thanks for the perspective. I understand that car drivers are just as bad, if not worse. However, the concern wasn't about how it pissed me off, rather the loss of life that is not necessary. I do not take it as a personal affront to me or my family. However, by my observation of your post on many topics, your Dalali Lama turn the other cheek advice does not have credibility. I was merely stating my opinion, as many others(including yourself) do on this board. Is it personal? Well in the regard that the opinion belongs to me, then yes, it is personal.

I'm sure there could be many threads started on all kinds of drivers, and there has been. I just chose my own thread as I'm sure you have in the past.

I can assure you that it would be safe to say that my "manhood" has never been threatened in my entire life, and I have never received any jolt of testosterone when someone spits in my lane. Many safe biking outings to you.

...and to Matza Ball or whatever your name is, I was not born yesterday. The turnip truck passed this way over 40 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2011, 07:51 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
The noise is the part that bugs me I live on a busy county road with a traffic lite 1/4 of a mile on either side of me.Many with illegal mufflers when revving and taking off stopped from either lite is bad news.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 AM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
only for emergencies.
Nope. No motor vehicle (included ATVs) can be operated on a public highway unless it's registered ... emergency or not.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:24 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
The noise is the part that bugs me
Quote:
I live on a busy county road with a traffic lite 1/4 of a mile on either side of me.

does not compute. living on a busy road means noise. did you expect to live on a busy road and have 0 noise?

Old 07-16-2011, 09:26 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
As a previous "crotch rocket" rider, a lot of moron kids are the problem, but again look how many crappy drivers there are.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:31 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Nope. No motor vehicle (included ATVs) can be operated on a public highway unless it's registered ... emergency or not.

well duh, who would take out an unregistered atv on a highway?

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c29.htm (broken link)

Old 07-16-2011, 09:37 AM

152 posts, read 399,821 times
What gets me is the loud bikers that use the term "loud bikes save lives" as they ride without the proper safety equiptment like brightly colored safety vests or full face helmets.

Old 07-16-2011, 10:53 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
I ride occasionally, and because of all that is mentioned in the post, mainly other *******s on the road, my senses are heightened. If I'm stuck in traffic, I'm right in line with everyone else. I don't particularly care for sharing a lane with another bike, as I feel that if they are slightly behind me, I have no idea where s/he is, although some argue that a car will see 2 bikes before one.

As for the 'hipocrisy' about seatbelts being required in cars, yet not on bikes, that might be the stupidest argument I've evere seen on this board. As someone pointed out, seat belts in a car are there to prevent the occupants from being ejected from the vehicle, or having a 'secondry collision' with objects in the vehicle. On a motorcycle, you are ON the vehicle, and should you go down, do you really want to be strapped to the bike?

Old 07-16-2011, 11:05 AM

208 posts, read 492,217 times
Quote:
The noise is the part that bugs me I live on a busy county road with a traffic lite 1/4 of a mile on either side of me.Many with illegal mufflers when revving and taking off stopped from either lite is bad news.
poor thing lol

Old 07-16-2011, 01:27 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzah Pizza View Post
well duh, who would take out an unregistered atv on a highway?

NYS DMV - (Brochure) - ATVs: Information for Owners and Operators (http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/c29.htm - broken link)
ATVs are required to be registered in NYS, but it's not the same as a car or motorcycle registration. ATVs -- registered or not -- are not permitted to be operated on local public roadways. Emergency or not.

Last edited by pdcnret; 07-16-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island