Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:19 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
"Real men". And I'm the pathetic one?

I like to explore my own freedom, or "manliness" if you want to call it that, in ways that don't create noise pollution in public areas to the detriment of other people, or that turn public highways into road kill scarred race tracks.

But you see, my parents raised me to have some consideration for other people, and not put my own childish desires first, as opposed to you, who chooses to overcompensate for lacking in certain physical characteristics by showing off shiny/fast/loud toys.

This would be good for you:
mini bike 5.5hp (http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/mcy/2501264202.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 08:21 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
You boys both know that women can and do ride too right? Men proving their 'manhood' by driving fast and taking risks can happen on two wheels or four wheels. Don't blame the bike - blame the driver. Idiots are idiots regardless of what vehicle you give them - be it a sports car or a sport bike - unfortunately the bike is cheaper and easier to obtain. There are - contrary to popular opinion on this board - sane and safely operated motorcycles by people who know there are risks but feel the rewards of motorcycling are worth it. You probably don't notice them on the road - they have normal sounding pipes, aren't weaving in and out of traffic and are just driving along enjoying the ride, same as the other vehicles. Unfortunately it's some idiot with insanely loud pipes or doing wheelies and stoppies on the LIE that you notice and then brand all motorcyclists as morons. Believe me, serious motorcyclists hate these idiots even more than you do since they give us a bad rap and the next driver - in his hatred of all things two wheels - might cut us off on purpose or crowd us in our lane because he believes we do not belong on the road.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:36 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
You boys both know that women can and do ride too right? Men proving their 'manhood' by driving fast and taking risks can happen on two wheels or four wheels. Don't blame the bike - blame the driver. Idiots are idiots regardless of what vehicle you give them - be it a sports car or a sport bike - unfortunately the bike is cheaper and easier to obtain. There are - contrary to popular opinion on this board - sane and safely operated motorcycles by people who know there are risks but feel the rewards of motorcycling are worth it. You probably don't notice them on the road - they have normal sounding pipes, aren't weaving in and out of traffic and are just driving along enjoying the ride, same as the other vehicles. Unfortunately it's some idiot with insanely loud pipes or doing wheelies and stoppies on the LIE that you notice and then brand all motorcyclists as morons. Believe me, serious motorcyclists hate these idiots even more than you do since they give us a bad rap and the next driver - in his hatred of all things two wheels - might cut us off on purpose or crowd us in our lane because he believes we do not belong on the road.
Sadly, in my own anecdotal statistical estimation, non-d bag motorcycle riders make up less than half of the riding population. The guy and his wife on a nice quiet cruiser, or the sports bike rider who just likes the freedom and gas mileage it affords, doing something resembling the speed limit, not weaving all over the place, not going between cars during traffic jams, is not the norm, as much as maybe you'd like to think. They are the exception.

The bad ass/lawless/listen to my noise maker/I like extreme speed-factor of motorcycle ridership is quite large.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Sadly, in my own anecdotal statistical estimation, non-d bag motorcycle riders make up less than half of the riding population. The guy and his wife on a nice quiet cruiser, or the sports bike rider who just likes the freedom and gas mileage it affords, doing something resembling the speed limit, not weaving all over the place, not going between cars during traffic jams, is not the norm, as much as maybe you'd like to think. They are the exception.

The bad ass/lawless/listen to my noise maker/I like extreme speed-factor of motorcycle ridership is quite large.

See? Discrimination. He hates motorcyclists, Hispanics and African Americans. He knows nothing about motorcycles, yet can't keep his mouth shut. Typical dman.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:

I still think it's a perception issue - the bad riders get noticed more often, and are therefore perceived to be the majority. How often are you riding and think "Wow, what a great driver that person is?" more often it's "Look at that a-hole"

Though I do have to agree that the tri-state area has some of the worst drivers in the country - on any number of wheels.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:32 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
They always ride in packs... when I see (or hear) one zooming up I watch the rear view for the rest of them. Sometimes it's just 2, but more often than not it's more than 1. That is why they're dangerous... can't really see them as easy as 4-wheel vehicles and when you change lanes, you REALLY have to look for these guys.

At any rate, I am all for thrills like anyone else, but if you have a family to think about, some things are more important than cheap thrills (maybe buy a BMW 1M or an M3 instead) ... can't ever trust anybody else on the roads.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
They always ride in packs... when I see (or hear) one zooming up I watch the rear view for the rest of them. Sometimes it's just 2, but more often than not it's more than 1. That is why they're dangerous... can't really see them as easy as 4-wheel vehicles and when you change lanes, you REALLY have to look for these guys.

At any rate, I am all for thrills like anyone else, but if you have a family to think about, some things are more important than cheap thrills (maybe buy a BMW 1M or an M3 instead) ... can't ever trust anybody else on the roads.
..yeah, the difference is about $45,000 in price for the same performance.

Any knucklehead living in their parents basement can get their hands on a used sport bike that can go crazy fast for very little cash.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
..yeah, the difference is about $45,000 in price for the same performance.

Any knucklehead living in their parents basement can get their hands on a used sport bike that can go crazy fast for very little cash.

Check the used car ads for used G35's, 350/370'z and Vettes.
You don't even know How much motorcycles cost. I'm not surprised.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Check the used car ads for used G35's, 350/370'z and Vettes.
You don't even know How much motorcycles cost. I'm not surprised.
A brand new Ninja 1,000 costs $10K and can top out at almost 170 MPH

Theres a Ninja 1000 on Craigslist for $6900.

You can get a car that goes 170MPH for under 10K? Can you even get a car that does over 125 for under $10K?

Apparently being a belligerent contrarian and a liar goes along with being a sport bike speed worshipping d-bag.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

"They" always ride in packs. Hmm. Last 3-4 times I was out with my BF, we were two up on his bike and not in a 'pack'.

At lunch I counted the bikes I encountered up and down Billy Floyd while I was out running errands (in my car - I love my a/c). Passed 4 in an hour - only one was dressed inappropriately (wife beater and shorts), none were zooming through traffic nor did they have excessively loud pipes. 3 cruisers, 1 crotch rocket. Hmmm. I must have passed the only on four non-dangerous, pack adverse motorcyclists on the Island.

However, some punk in a black sporty car with vanity plates and rims that probably cost more than the rest of the car was zooming in and out of lanes trying really hard to get to each red light before the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island