Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2011, 11:45 AM

34 posts, read 91,990 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,
Would it make sense for someone to work in WestChester COunty ( Armonk) and stay in LI ? Just asking because people say it would lower down cost of living (rent). We have two kids 3.5 YO and 7 MO and need preschool as well.. and eventually schools (good)..What woould be the commute time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 12:09 PM

840 posts, read 2,446,057 times
no, it wouldn't make sense imo

Old 07-18-2011, 12:10 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Since Long Island is approx 100 miles long...do you think it would be wise to tell us where you live before asking how long the commute time will be?

Old 07-18-2011, 12:34 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
From the Queens/Nasau border, I would not want that commute.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
Obviously Armonk is expensive but I doubt it is much less on LI that you are going to make up the cost of the commute not to mention the frustration it will cause and the time it will take. I guess it would also depend on what time you would be making the commute as well.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Any commute that involves taking the bridges or tunnels from 1 county to another will add an extensive time to your commute. My friend lived in Howard Beach, Queens and her company transferred her to the White Plaints, Westchester office. With the traffic on the Van Wyck, the GCP and the Whitestone Bridge - her commute became a daily 2 hour nightmare. She quit and works in Nassau County now.

Anything to Westchester from LI is going to be nightmarish.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:10 PM

91 posts, read 473,946 times
If you work in Armork move 30 minutes north if you want the prices to go down not long island....if you go 1 hour north the prices will plummet.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:43 AM

34 posts, read 91,990 times
Thanks everyone for input. We were thinking about whiteplains too but someone suggested there may be an easy train ride from LI to Westchester

Thanks!

Old 07-20-2011, 09:25 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
Yeah unfortunately by train you'd have to transfer at least 2 times. There is nothing direct. Then...I think the nearest Metro North stations are Pleasantville or Hawthorne

I worked in a fish market in Armonk for about 5 years. Pretty town, but talk about a different planet...this woman dropped a $12K diamond ring in the store I was working in. We couldn't find it and after about 20 min she left and said "Oh I'll just have my jeweler replace it"...

Old 07-20-2011, 09:40 AM

3,921 posts, read 9,129,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmommy View Post
Thanks everyone for input. We were thinking about whiteplains too but someone suggested there may be an easy train ride from LI to Westchester

Thanks!
There's no direct train between Long Island and Westchester. You'd have to take the LIRR into Manhattan and then take Metro-North (the LIRR stops at Penn Station, whereas Metro-North stops at Grand Central, which makes it even harder)

Even though Westchester is pretty car-oriented, if you had to commute by transit, it would be possible from a nearby town. The #12 bus travels between White Plains and the Westchester Airport, and then continues to Armonk.

The schedule is here (Note how infrequently it runs): http://transportation.westchestergov..._timetable.pdf

See this map:http://transportation.westchestergov.com/images/stories/pdfs/beelinesystemmap.pdf (broken link)

A commute to Armonk is best done by car, and, as a previous poster mentioned, the prices should go down as you go further north in Westchester.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Yeah unfortunately by train you'd have to transfer at least 2 times. There is nothing direct. Then...I think the nearest Metro North stations are Pleasantville or Hawthorne

I worked in a fish market in Armonk for about 5 years. Pretty town, but talk about a different planet...this woman dropped a $12K diamond ring in the store I was working in. We couldn't find it and after about 20 min she left and said "Oh I'll just have my jeweler replace it"...
All I can say is "Damn" (If I had a $12K ring, I'd keep my eye on it at all times, and I'd probably have insurance for it too)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: