Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 03:27 PM

173 posts, read 359,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Actually your budget is necessary. A house needing a total update is going to cost you about $600K in Garden City, probably a lot less in other towns you mention. THere are a couple on the market right now being sold "as is" - one doesn't even have all its appliances working and it's totally overgrown with vegetation. Asking low $600Ks. Is that in your budget?
Ok, well Garden City is probably not what im looking for, so I will remove that off of the list.

I dont like giving a max price range because im not looking for a real estate agent, im looking to find out about areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 03:36 PM

327 posts, read 1,061,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extra300 View Post
Why I didnt list a price, is because im looking for a house or condo that will need a Total update, so that kinda throws things off.

Schools are not very important to me as far as selection is concerned.

More concerned with:

-Younger age groups 20-30's
-Bars, restaurants, shopping (at least in area)
-Good neighborhood (not interested in constantly looking over my shoulder when I come and go in the middle of the night)
For the first two criteria..

Bayside
Farmingdale
Long Beach
Patchogue
Rockville Centre

For the last criteria a budget is needed.

Old 07-23-2011, 04:01 PM

Ok so everyone "needs" to know budget..

well its tough to say.. i would buy a one bedroom condo that needs complete rehab, I have saw a few right around 100k. Ive also come across some houses that were nice but needed rehab anywhere from 200 to 350k. So it all depends on where it is, size and how much work has to be done.

Long story short, no matter what it is 350 is my max budget. (doesn't mean that I have to or even want to spend that much) You also have to remember Im looking for a place that needs rehab, NOT a turn key property. Big Difference...

Old 07-23-2011, 04:58 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,418,709 times
Quote:
I'm going to post up a list of cities and towns that I have come up with.

It would be great if anyone could go thought these and mark the ones that dont meet what im looking for.. Please reply with NO and the cities.

Amityville
Babylon
Baldwin
Bayside
Bayville
Bellmore
Bohemia
East Rockaway
Farmingdale
Freeport
Garden City
Glen Cove
Great Neck
Hicksville
Lindenhurst
Long Beach
Massapequa
Northport
Oyster Bay
Patchogue
Port Jefferson
Port Washington
Rockville Centre
Sayville
Seaford
Uniondale
Wantagh
Westbury

Thanks
From that list, if you want to put lipstick on a pig and fix her up go with North Amityville, Uniondale, Westbury, and the north part of Freeport. East Rockaway and LB are too far, but I'd add Wyandanch if you want to remain close to Farmingdale .

Last edited by gag; 07-23-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
From that list, if you want to put lipstick on a pig and fix her up go with North Amityville, Uniondale, Westbury, and the north part of Freeport. I'd add Wyandanch if you want close to Farmingdale .
Actually I'm not trying to put "Lipstick on a pig" Im trying to buy a place that needs a rehab. So instead of paying full price for a place that someone thinks is nice. I will be able to make it nice to my standard at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2011, 06:05 PM

327 posts, read 1,061,776 times
Quote:
Ok so everyone "needs" to know budget..

well its tough to say.. i would buy a one bedroom condo that needs complete rehab, I have saw a few right around 100k. Ive also come across some houses that were nice but needed rehab anywhere from 200 to 350k. So it all depends on where it is, size and how much work has to be done.

Long story short, no matter what it is 350 is my max budget. (doesn't mean that I have to or even want to spend that much) You also have to remember Im looking for a place that needs rehab, NOT a turn key property. Big Difference...
If your looking at a co-op keep in mind you will need licensed contractors to do the work. You would also need to submit plans to the co-op board.

If your looking at a house id be more worried about school districts... when its time to sell a good district will be easier to dump then one zoned for a bad one.

Check out New York Schools - New York State School Ratings - Public and Private for the ratings.

If you decide on Bayside keep in mind you will be paying NYC Income Tax.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2010/inc/nyc_tax_rate_150_201.pdf (broken link)

Old 07-23-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiser View Post
If your looking at a co-op keep in mind you will need licensed contractors to do the work. You would also need to submit plans to the co-op board.

If your looking at a house id be more worried about school districts... when its time to sell a good district will be easier to dump then one zoned for a bad one.

Check out New York Schools - New York State School Ratings - Public and Private for the ratings.

If you decide on Bayside keep in mind you will be paying NYC Income Tax.

http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/2010/inc/nyc_tax_rate_150_201.pdf (broken link)
Thanks, some good info

Old 07-23-2011, 07:43 PM

257 posts, read 749,682 times
Quote:
I'm going to post up a list of cities and towns that I have come up with.

It would be great if anyone could go thought these and mark the ones that dont meet what im looking for.. Please reply with NO and the cities.

Amityville * village area
Babylon
Baldwin
Bayside
Bayville-NO
Bellmore
Bohemia-NO
East Rockaway
Farmingdale
Freeport * south of Atlantic Ave.
Garden City-NO
Glen Cove-NO
Great Neck-NO
Hicksville
Lindenhurst
Long Beach
Massapequa
Northrop
Oyster Bay-NO
Patchogue-NO
Port Jefferson-NO
Port Washington
Rockville Centre
Sayville
Seaford
Uniondale
Wantagh
Westbury

Thanks
Based on this list I would say your best pics are probably Lindenhurst, Babylon Village, Freeport, Hicksville and Westbury (not New Cassel). I don't know too much about eastern suffolk, but I eliminated a few just based on distance. Good luck.

Old 07-23-2011, 08:25 PM

9,926 posts, read 23,092,785 times
Quote:
Actually I'm not trying to put "Lipstick on a pig" Im trying to buy a place that needs a rehab. So instead of paying full price for a place that someone thinks is nice. I will be able to make it nice to my standard at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks!
You and everybody else!
Seems you prefer to look/find on your own, but the best bargains are listed with brokers at this point - and gone quickly because agents look out for their buyers, especially Buyer Agents.

Good luck regardless

Old 07-23-2011, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,721 times
I live in the Salisbury section of Westbury. It is in the East Meadow schools, not Westbury schools. It is in the town of Hempstead, not North Hempstead like Westbury is. It is considered a hamlet. We moved here two years ago and LOVE it. Everyone is nice and it is a very neighborly community. It is right off the Wantagh Pkwy. If you go to the MLSLI website and put Westbury and East Meadow schools it will pop up and give you many affordable homes. Good luck and feel free to email me if you have questions about the neighborhood. I also teach in the East Meadow district and I would not live in a district that I would not send my own children to. Many residents are police officers and despite being on the other side of Old Country Rd. from New Cassel, it is a very safe neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island