Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 01:19 PM

13 posts, read 16,924 times

Advertisements

hi everyone!

i have been a long-time lurker on these boards and have learned a wealth of knowledge from many of you.

due to a landlord issue, my hubby and i have decided to contemplate purchasing a home. this landlord issue came up rather suddenly, so we aren't exactly prepared to purchase a house, but due to the market being so favorable towards buyers at the moment, we figured we'd take a shot at looking for a bit.

so here's our story, i work in midtown manhattan and am the sole income to our family (about 80k annually). hubby is homemaker and caretaker of our two children (ages 6 and 9 months). we have a prequal for a 300k fha mortgage, but looking at monthly expenses, we really don't want to spend more than about 225k on a home, and we're hoping for taxes under 7k.

we're also looking to apply for some first-time homebuyer grants to help with downpayment/closing costs, since we don't have much at all in the way of up-front cash. we're obviously not well prepared financially to buy a house, but we're definitely sick of renting and our current deadbeat landlord was the straw that broke the camel's back.

the areas we've been looking in are:
suffolk: lindenhurst, west/north babylon, deer park, had considered ronkonkoma but not anymore because of travel time
nassau: hicksville, anything east meadow school district, baldwin, valley stream, levittown

the homes we've seen so far are either tiny, or need too much work to be move-in ready. with two small children, i don't mind having to do cosmetic stuff, but need a place where we can all live safely and not have to worry about mold/rot/etc. i think lindenhurst is our target area, but i'd love to have a shorter commute=nassau. any suggestions as to other areas we should be considering? and is what we're looking for even possible?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 01:37 PM

22,654 posts, read 36,662,452 times
How far east are you willing to live?

Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,735,158 times
either hubby gets a job or you should keep renting.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:42 PM

i'd like to keep my commute to the city an hour or less. i guess no further than ronkonkoma. we currently rent in bayside, queens, and as it is i feel like i have no time at home with my kids.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,320,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erised View Post
hi everyone!

i have been a long-time lurker on these boards and have learned a wealth of knowledge from many of you.

due to a landlord issue, my hubby and i have decided to contemplate purchasing a home. this landlord issue came up rather suddenly, so we aren't exactly prepared to purchase a house, but due to the market being so favorable towards buyers at the moment, we figured we'd take a shot at looking for a bit.

so here's our story, i work in midtown manhattan and am the sole income to our family (about 80k annually). hubby is homemaker and caretaker of our two children (ages 6 and 9 months). we have a prequal for a 300k fha mortgage, but looking at monthly expenses, we really don't want to spend more than about 225k on a home, and we're hoping for taxes under 7k.

we're also looking to apply for some first-time homebuyer grants to help with downpayment/closing costs, since we don't have much at all in the way of up-front cash. we're obviously not well prepared financially to buy a house, but we're definitely sick of renting and our current deadbeat landlord was the straw that broke the camel's back.

the areas we've been looking in are:
suffolk: lindenhurst, west/north babylon, deer park, had considered ronkonkoma but not anymore because of travel time
nassau: hicksville, anything east meadow school district, baldwin, valley stream, levittown

the homes we've seen so far are either tiny, or need too much work to be move-in ready. with two small children, i don't mind having to do cosmetic stuff, but need a place where we can all live safely and not have to worry about mold/rot/etc. i think lindenhurst is our target area, but i'd love to have a shorter commute=nassau. any suggestions as to other areas we should be considering? and is what we're looking for even possible?
So what is your criteria?

How important is the School District?

Do you prefer a more 'homogenous' setting or a more diverse setting?

Is nightlife important for you?

Are you willing to settle for a more troubled community with a bit higher crime?

Just elaborate more, the more info you give us, the more info we can give you.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
either hubby gets a job...
we've definitely considered that, but hubby is pretty much blue collar and hasn't worked in a very long time. if he were to work, his entire pay would probably have to go into daycare, so we don't really see a point in it. he considered night work, but its tough to get any real rest during the day with an infant at home.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:48 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,320,408 times
For 225k you could probably get a fixer-upper that needs a little work in one of the working/middle class hamlets in the 'Town of Babylon' and 'Town of Islip' such as Deer Park, the Babylons, Bay Shore, Lindenhurst. Unfortunately, for under 225k in Nassau, you probably wouldn't get anything reasonable.

For 225k, you could get a decent house with no work needed in one of the more problemed/worst reputation communities of the island, if you are up for that?

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-27-2011 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-27-2011, 01:50 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,862,648 times
You should be able to get into the very bottom of the market in Levittown for 225K, but you will have to expect to at least do some work on it.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:54 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,862,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erised View Post
we've definitely considered that, but hubby is pretty much blue collar and hasn't worked in a very long time. if he were to work, his entire pay would probably have to go into daycare, so we don't really see a point in it. he considered night work, but its tough to get any real rest during the day with an infant at home.
I work during the day and my wife works evenings and weekends and we have 2 kids ages 6 and 21 months. It sucks, but it is possible to do.

I do think that as long as you are not picky and are willing to do some renovation work yourself, you could get into Levittown for 225K.

I know this sounds crazy but how about a Houseboat in Port Washington for only 159K? http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0_M36751-20549

Old 07-27-2011, 02:07 PM

lol! i saw that posting for the houseboat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
So what is your criteria?

How important is the School District?
schools are our top priority. since we cannot afford private school, we need to rely on school district.

Quote:
Do you prefer a more 'homogenous' setting or a more diverse setting?
i'll admit, homogenous is preferred, but diverse is okay, as long as community is good. we'd love to have block parties and know our neighbors.

Quote:
Is nightlife important for you?
we've got a 6 yr old and a 9 month old...we have no lives...lol

Quote:
Are you willing to settle for a more troubled community with a bit higher crime?
no, we need a safe neighborhood.

Quote:
Just elaborate more, the more info you give us, the more info we can give you.
it would be great to be convenient to major shopping (grocery stores and the like...i haven't gone shopping for myself in years!). another issue with hubby working evenings is that i'm a part-time student and usually have classes two evenings a week. our original plan was for me to get my nursing degree and eventually move out of NY entirely...texas, arizona, possible south on the east coast...but figured that due to our current landlord situation and the housing market, we'd give it a shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island