Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 04:56 PM

213 posts, read 728,232 times

Advertisements

I was looking for insurance and came across this company. Has fairly low rates and looking at reviews online it's a mixed bag.... so I was wondering if anyone has experience with dealing with them directly...

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 08:57 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,493 times
Small outfit and plays by the rules. I had them when I got my first car and no problem. My dad also had them for two years. If you look online the reviews are mixed about every company.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM

383 posts, read 664,651 times
i work for an agency in Smithtown. We just started writing for them within the past year. They are new to the NY area. Based out of California. Homeowner rates are great. We have had no problems with anyone we have written, however, we have not had a claim with them yet so I can't speak for their claim service.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:36 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,407 times
I use them for home insurance for the last year and a half. I've had no claims so I don't know a whole lot. But I've had no problems otherwise.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:27 AM

344 posts, read 717,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoyagerMan View Post
I use them for home insurance for the last year and a half. I've had no claims so I don't know a whole lot. But I've had no problems otherwise.
Same. Just took out a policy on a new house in January 2011. They seemed to offer the lowest premium.

Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 AM

431 posts, read 1,310,407 times
Curious if anyone filed any claims with them after Irene?

Old 12-27-2011, 01:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,655 times
Smile Mercury's Actually Pretty Good

Mercury is actually pretty good. They ask you a bit more questions than other companies but that's because they're able to understand the type of risk you are and can therefore (generally) provide better rates. They also only use independent agents so you'll always have the same person to help you out.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:09 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaronP View Post
Mercury is actually pretty good. They ask you a bit more questions than other companies but that's because they're able to understand the type of risk you are and can therefore (generally) provide better rates. They also only use independent agents so you'll always have the same person to help you out.
They often have an agent physically do a drive-by to see what the house looks like from the outside. If they don't like what they see, they won't write the policy. One way to keep cost down...

Old 01-06-2012, 12:06 PM

53 posts, read 204,678 times
I used to write with Mercury Casualty at my old agency. Their HO rates are pretty good and at the time were writing coastal exposures. If you are able to Package the Home with the Auto, you will save the most. They are intrusive with questions, but it opens up the possibility for additional discounts if applicable.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:08 PM

53 posts, read 204,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
They often have an agent physically do a drive-by to see what the house looks like from the outside. If they don't like what they see, they won't write the policy. One way to keep cost down...
I never had to drive by a home prior to binding. You can get a quick view of the home using Propertyshark or zillow or even Google Maps.

The Insurance Companies may do a drive by inspection once a HO policy is bound to verify the information submitted on the application and to verify the square footage. If the Dwelling Coverage is high, they may even schedule an interior inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island