Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:13 PM

127 posts, read 521,298 times

Advertisements

I didn't know old school Long Island...so I guess I'll have to go with Muttontown.

But isn't Levittown still nice?

By the way, has anyone seen the Levittown exhibit out in (I think) Stonybrook?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 02:53 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,669,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
No, that's very interesting. There's a long passage in David Halberstams book, "The Fifties" about Levittown, and what a new idea it was.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:51 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSeventhBrady View Post
I didn't know old school Long Island...so I guess I'll have to go with Muttontown.

But isn't Levittown still nice?

It was pretty cool.
Birth of Suburbia stuff.
They had a living room from one of the homes reconstructed there

C

Old 10-26-2007, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
I agree with a portion of what you've written here. Low wages... taken over my millionaires... but this is where our agreement ends.

Migrants can't take over anything here. Taking something over implies some acquisition of power resulting in change. "Migrants" as you call them, otherwise known as people who move from one area to another in search of work have taken over what exactly?

The jobs you or your sons don't wish to work? The houses your family lives in, the toilets your wives would rather not clean... doesn't sound like a "take-over" work to me.

I personally know an Italian American man who hires illegal immigrants, off the books of course, to mow loans many Long Islanders would rather not.
His main reason for hiring, other than loosing the tax burden, is that: "they work harder than anyone else I can hire."

Please tell me what us "migrants" are taking over... really!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
People are running around like their hair is on fire.

My theory...

They realize(but are reluctant to admit) that the Island has been taken over by Millionaires and Migrant workers.

Overextended and underemployed.
Everythings up threefold except wages.

We're at the end of a very long Middle Class demise.

Rich or poor...who are you?

C

Last edited by Keeper; 10-27-2007 at 06:01 AM.. Reason: removed comment.. prissy princess..

Old 10-27-2007, 10:58 AM

169 posts, read 632,924 times
I completely agree with you on this!

Are the majority of migrant workers (is this a synonym for illegal immigrants, bythe way?) finding jobs as administrative assistants? Data entry personnel? File clerks? Receptionists? Clerical help in medical offices (notice I say clerical help, not custodial help)? Holding any kind of civil service or government job? Finding jobs in a skilled trade (electrician, plumber, phone/cable/tv installer, auto mechanic or body repair) without any training or experience?

Many people are claiming the sky's going to fall but don't offer a logical explanation of the mechanism of the collapse.

Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM

245 posts, read 298,661 times
Default Thread begs question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
People are running around like their hair is on fire.

My theory...

They realize(but are reluctant to admit) that the Island has been taken over by Millionaires and Migrant workers.

Overextended and underemployed.
Everythings up threefold except wages.

We're at the end of a very long Middle Class demise.

Rich or poor...who are you?

C
Your thread only reifies the perception of middle class angst on Long Island. Evidently, you've become the barometer of this angst, and you speak for us.

I don't believe everyone is angry on Long Island. I think a lot of people are aware of difficulties with living on Long Island, however, if your point were accurate, people wouldn't keep voting for tax increases. I live in Huntington Township, and this community just recently voted for a new levy and will vote soon to increase another. The first passed and the second on, I suspect, will too.

I like it here.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM

6 posts, read 19,249 times
Default Please answer this question

I currently live in MD, but am considering a move to LI for love. I don't get some of these posts. It all seems to be about money. In MD we pay DC prices, avg house 500,000 (though dropping now), but get paid Alabama wages. As a teacher, I make a half of what your teachers make. I don't understand some of the hostility to your hometown.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:03 PM

245 posts, read 298,661 times
Default It is two disgruntled FORMER Long Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by meghans View Post
I currently live in MD, but am considering a move to LI for love. I don't get some of these posts. It all seems to be about money. In MD we pay DC prices, avg house 500,000 (though dropping now), but get paid Alabama wages. As a teacher, I make a half of what your teachers make. I don't understand some of the hostility to your hometown.
I don't get it either. My suspicion is that two retired people feel forced from the island because of taxes. My gut tells me that these are Republican shills trying to manufacture angst. That's my assessment.

I just bought here and took a fair-paying job. My family is very happy.

Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,109,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
My gut tells me that these are Republican shills trying to manufacture angst. That's my assessment.

Bravo Newbie. Many people are very happy here but you know the statement misery loves company? This thread is all about that. I am with you though, very happy here and doing well in LI.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:54 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,657,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYNewbie View Post
I don't get it either. My suspicion is that two retired people feel forced from the island because of taxes. My gut tells me that these are Republican shills trying to manufacture angst. That's my assessment.

It's generally the Dems that do the manufacturing.

At any rate, no one I know is unhappy here, and no one is "angry."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island