Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 01:22 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times

Advertisements

About 20 years ago a woman from Pilgrim State set herself on fire in the Commack McDonald's bathroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 01:56 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Eh, that place creeps me out. I would not live walking distance to there, no way.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 PM

185 posts, read 457,422 times
I drive through Pilgrim State every day. I only see one person ever wandering the grounds and it's always the same person. He's probably homeless. I hear they are going to make it into a huge retail and office area. Look it up I know there are a ton of articles on it. Probably would increase your property value tremendously eventually.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:58 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
I have friends who have worked there. Nurses. Even the area in Brentwood (North Brentwood) is pretty stable and nice.

I would not be afraid of living in a good neighborhood near the hospital I would be more concerned with the neighborhood than with Pilgrim.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,517,354 times
Parts of the facility are still in use for mental health treatment I believe. Other parts are abandoned, and some have already been demolished and developed.

Old 02-05-2012, 09:37 PM

54 posts, read 330,124 times
I know this is an old post, but I spent a semester of nursing school (in 2010) at Pilgrim. They still operate both inpatient and outpatient mental health services there. Yes the buildings are creepy, and yes the inpatient population is primarily those who are mentally ill and committed crimes (had a patient who killed his parents with an axe!), but I would never worry about them eloping. Mainly the outpatient population are mentally ill substance abusers, not so much violent crimes. The grounds are pretty well fenced, and for the most part, the patients want to be there because they would otherwise be homeless. that, and for the few times the well-behaved patients get to travel outside of their building, everything has a double barrier lock (fences and doors).
On the Brentwood side there are group homes which cater to the outpatient population, but again these aren't really violent offenders.
I wouldn't worry about the area the OP described, but I certainly wouldn't be headed for the Brentwood side, but that's for various other reasons...

Old 02-06-2012, 08:32 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
I'm sitting there right now, calm down.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
My aunt used to work at Pilgrim and when we used to visit the place it totally creeped me out. Honestly, the only issue with Dix Hills is the occasional target of B&E's based on the money in the area but that goes with any upscale area.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Default Pilgrim state

I grew up in the area, and it was a wonderful place to live. In the 60's I can remember my aunt who lived on McNulty and Lauren saying she put a pot of coffee on one morning (quickly straightened up) returned to kitchen to find a patient sitting at her table wanting coffee and match books, so he could return to pilgrim and burn it down. He was totally harmless,and all the neighbors would give them wet match books if they ever were asked for them ( this is late 70s early 80s. I spent my teen years at the multiplex and working at Bobs Big Boy. I had a customer who was a patient there, and because he wasn't violent would have a day pass to go to the stores in the area, ( At Penn State, studying medicine someone slipped him some acid..... He never returned from it, and his family had to have him admitted. I was there early 80s and picketed out on Commack Rd when the state decided to put in a prison on the grounds of Pilgrim, do to community outcry the prison was closed in 3 months. Overall, Pilgrim has stood there in our community for nearly 100 years. The history and buildings are priceless. Dix Hills is an a wonderful place to raise a family. The ONLY problem in Dix Hills are the TAXES, NOT PILGRIM !

Old 03-09-2013, 07:20 AM

179 posts, read 493,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 516jo View Post
In the 60's I can remember my aunt who lived on McNulty and Lauren saying she put a pot of coffee on one morning (quickly straightened up) returned to kitchen to find a patient sitting at her table wanting coffee and match books, so he could return to pilgrim and burn it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island