Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-28-2011, 03:25 PM
 
42 posts, read 85,172 times
Reputation: 36

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I are relocating from Uniondale. He is white and I am black. We have a 2 year old son and are planning on expanding our family soon. We have come to a crossroads in our search. We have explored towns on the north shore but have found that our money goes farther on the south shore. We just fell in love with some homes in Massapequa Shores and Biltmore Shores however in researching the schools we found that there are hardly any children of color in the district. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2011, 04:08 PM
 
162 posts, read 383,533 times
Reputation: 107
baldwin, baldwin harbor is fine, nice, nice houses, decent prices. harbor has higher taxs though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 04:15 PM
 
11 posts, read 22,243 times
Reputation: 22
I'll second Baldwin, you'll be much happier there than Massapequa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 04:21 PM
 
Location: now nyc
1,456 posts, read 4,330,882 times
Reputation: 1291
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubya10 View Post
Hi,

My husband and I are relocating from Uniondale. He is white and I am black. We have a 2 year old son and are planning on expanding our family soon. We have come to a crossroads in our search. We have explored towns on the north shore but have found that our money goes farther on the south shore. We just fell in love with some homes in Massapequa Shores and Biltmore Shores however in researching the schools we found that there are hardly any children of color in the district. Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.
Yes, it's true that the "Riviera communities" (Bellmores, Wantaghs, Merricks, Seaford and Massapequa's) have very little racial diversity. If you really really love the housing stock over there then I could recommend the portion of EAST MASSAPEQUA that falls into Amityville SD since that portion is diverse. The big problem is that Amity SD is not a good-performing School District so if you move there then I STRONGLY recommend that you send you children to private school.

Southwest Nassau is a little more diverse:


VALLEY STREAM is one of Long Islands truly diverse and integrated communities. The school districts of Valley Stream perform excellently. Here is more information about the Valley Stream school districts;

Valley Stream 13 SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 13 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream 30 SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 30 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream 24 SD [rated in 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 24 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream Central High SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream Central High School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools

BALDWIN is a very diverse and integrated town too. It has an fairly good performing School District. Here is more school district information;

Baldwin SD [rated 7/10 in performance]: Baldwin Union Free School District in Baldwin, NY | GreatSchools

(If you are interested in the communities of Suffolk County then please feel free to let us know).

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-28-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 05:05 PM
 
257 posts, read 751,256 times
Reputation: 91
I would check out Mineola? Garden City Park/New Hyde Park or Oyster Bay if you prefer north shore, there is a lot of diversity in the public schools there, and it's still a well rated district. A price point might help narrow it down- and if you are open to private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 06:37 PM
 
136 posts, read 492,742 times
Reputation: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yes, it's true that the "Riviera communities" (Bellmores, Wantaghs, Merricks, Seaford and Massapequa's) have very little racial diversity. If you really really love the housing stock over there then I could recommend the portion of EAST MASSAPEQUA that falls into Amityville SD since that portion is diverse. The big problem is that Amity SD is not a good-performing School District so if you move there then I STRONGLY recommend that you send you children to private school.

Southwest Nassau is a little more diverse:

VALLEY STREAM is one of Long Islands truly diverse and integrated communities. The school districts of Valley Stream perform excellently. Here is more information about the Valley Stream school districts;

Valley Stream 13 SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 13 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream 30 SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 30 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream 24 SD [rated in 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream 24 Union Free School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools
Valley Stream Central High SD [rated 8/10 in performance]: Valley Stream Central High School District in Valley Stream, NY | GreatSchools

BALDWIN is a very diverse and integrated town too. It has an fairly good performing School District. Here is more school district information;

Baldwin SD [rated 7/10 in performance]: Baldwin Union Free School District in Baldwin, NY | GreatSchools

(If you are interested in the communities of Suffolk County then please feel free to let us know).
Agreed. There are some nice houses right on the water literally across from the "Riviera Communites" in that portion of East Massapequa in the Amityville School District south of Merrick Road. Very diverse neighborhood (probably overall majority-minority as a whole) but you are going to have to deal with the school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 09:56 PM
 
852 posts, read 1,443,734 times
Reputation: 1040
Don't let anyone railroad you into a community plagued by white-flight. If you like Massapequa Shores or Biltmore Shores, then move there and enjoy! Your children will do JUST FINE in their schools, and help in bringing in much-needed diversity as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 PM
 
Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,186 times
Reputation: 1652
I'd second Baldwin (especially south of Merrick Road) and Valley Stream. Both are very nice, diverse communities with beautiful houses. They're also closer to the LIRR than Uniondale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:27 PM
 
Location: Long Island (chief in S Farmingdale)
22,190 posts, read 19,470,309 times
Reputation: 5305
As long as a certain poster on here isn't your neighbor I doubt you will have any issues. As someone who graduated from Massapequa H.S, the district is very very white, and can certainly use more diversity. With that being said I do think the area would certainly be more open to an interracial family than it would have in the past (again unless a certain poster was your neighbor)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 05:45 AM
 
24 posts, read 60,610 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
Agreed. There are some nice houses right on the water literally across from the "Riviera Communites" in that portion of East Massapequa in the Amityville School District south of Merrick Road. Very diverse neighborhood (probably overall majority-minority as a whole) but you are going to have to deal with the school district.

or you could go to the part of east massapequa that does go to the massapequa school district.

there are indeed children of color that attend massapequa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top