Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 AM
s13

797 posts, read 1,273,838 times

Advertisements

Lot of misinformation in this thread already... Wang tried for years to work out a privately-funded project, and Hempstead blocked him at every turn because all the NIMBYs in the area would rather have 77 acres of asphalt than some kind of worthwhile development. So now instead of Wang's grandiose plan, the county's offering to partner with Wang to build a new Coliseum using bonds.

In my opinion, since the county will still own the building, this is perfectly acceptable and understandable - why would anyone expect the guy to pay out of pocket for a building he does not own? And while Wang's team is the building's primary tenant, there are plenty of non-Islander events that take place there year-round, generating jobs and revenue. Considering the ****-poor state of the current Coliseum, they should be looking to replace it regardless of Wang and the Islanders.

My favorite part is how, after all the absurd tax hikes Nassau residents have endured over the years, these faux-outraged "fiscal responsibility" mouthpieces think NOW is the time to "take a stand" - against something that will add, at worst, a few Starbucks coffees PER YEAR to the average household's tax bill. And when these geniuses vote down the new arena, the Islanders leave town, and the Coliseum ultimately closes down, people will wonder why their taxes are going up and a bunch of people are out of work. Hurr durr derp.

Vote yes, folks.

Oh yeah, and only on Long Island would you have Republicans stonewalling a private development in favor of a publicly-funded one, only to have the Democrats trying to smear it because it wasn't their idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 05:29 AM

24 posts, read 60,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
lot of misinformation in this thread already... Wang tried for years to work out a privately-funded project, and hempstead blocked him at every turn because all the nimbys in the area would rather have 77 acres of asphalt than some kind of worthwhile development. So now instead of wang's grandiose plan, the county's offering to partner with wang to build a new coliseum using bonds.

In my opinion, since the county will still own the building, this is perfectly acceptable and understandable - why would anyone expect the guy to pay out of pocket for a building he does not own? And while wang's team is the building's primary tenant, there are plenty of non-islander events that take place there year-round, generating jobs and revenue. Considering the ****-poor state of the current coliseum, they should be looking to replace it regardless of wang and the islanders.

My favorite part is how, after all the absurd tax hikes nassau residents have endured over the years, these faux-outraged "fiscal responsibility" mouthpieces think now is the time to "take a stand" - against something that will add, at worst, a few starbucks coffees per year to the average household's tax bill. And when these geniuses vote down the new arena, the islanders leave town, and the coliseum ultimately closes down, people will wonder why their taxes are going up and a bunch of people are out of work. Hurr durr derp.

Vote yes, folks.

Oh yeah, and only on long island would you have republicans stonewalling a private development in favor of a publicly-funded one, only to have the democrats trying to smear it because it wasn't their idea

no.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:44 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,792,536 times
I didn't know the whole story about how we're now responsible, but I'm tired of seeing disheveled and condemned-looking buildings with overgrown weeds in our towns. You drive up Jericho Tpke in fricken Syosset and there are store closings & abandoned buildings. We don't need more emptiness. I'm usually not a slippery-slope kind of person but this is too big a deal.

This is a small price to pay for what we're getting. Is something going to turn around and Wang can magically pay for it again? Good. Then vote.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:05 AM

13,034 posts, read 17,909,398 times
The days of if you build it they will come are gone. Citifield is a prime example. Once the curious have seen the new facility they will be bored and become no shows. I would love to see a new facility for all the reasons that are being bandied about. BUT, I will only vote for it when I get the full story with guarantees of how the revenue will be accounted for and spent, who the jobs will be going to (i.e) Nassau residents, an explanation of why it makes any sense at all to give Wang an off the hook for the cost of the special election if it fails, and a truthful reason of why it can't be voted on in either September or November. It simply doesn't pass the smell test, that November is too far into the future to wait to save the taxpayer over 2 million if it doesn't go through. OK, there is an option, make it the primary day, no that doesn't work either, too many people may show up, which is laughable given our voter turnout.
I am really trying to find a way to vote for this but thus far, I see it as a doctor saying to a patient,
there is a surgery you can have that may give you a better life, but, insurance may not cover it and it will be expensive, and while the results can be life changing there is no guarantee, you could also be in worse shape than you are now. I would take those odds only if I were desperate and there was no other choice. Sell the land off to a private developer, build homes or condos, and have a steady source of income and be done with it.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:56 AM

4,690 posts, read 8,709,441 times
I keep wondering "what's the catch?" If this thing was such a slam dunk money maker, then Wang would be PAYING FOR IT HIMSELF and keeping all of the profits from the facility.

There's a reason the Mets and Yankees used their own money to build their new stadiums (yes I know they got various forms of public money for infrastructure, tax free bonds, etc)....they didn't want to have to share the revenue with anyone else. Seems like Wang isn't quite so confident that a new building will become a cash cow and we're not getting the full story on the risks involved in this.

If I lived in Nassau I would be voting no.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,719,241 times
While it could be risky, I trust Mangano on this one. We need more assets besides property tax & sales tax revenues... unless of course people like seeing more and more red light cameras popping up, and other nickel-and-dime tactics used by the county. $400M (bonded too) is less than it costs to pay the entire NCPD for one years service; and you get back a huge cash cow and a much more valuable county asset. One downside will be ticket/concession costs might go up about 10% to 15% (to cover the county's cut).

‪Mangano Responds to ABLI‬‏ - YouTube

Old 07-29-2011, 08:39 AM

884 posts, read 1,401,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistereduser View Post
Voting no saves the average household about $40 per year.

That $40 will enable Nassau to keep the Islanders, get a minor league baseball stadium, a premier concert venue, and put hundreds of people to work for the next few years.

Yes, based on principle I should vote no because Wang should be paying for all of it, but voting yes is for the greater good. I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.
My beef with them saying that it will only cost you $40 (or some small number) per year.

Is it really $40 per year? Its almost like the guy on the street with the long overcoat telling you that the jewelry inside his coat is real 14K gold and its yours for only $40.

I don't buy that the real true cost to taxpayers is going to see an increase of just $40 per year.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:50 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,738,992 times
If I lived in Nassau I'd be voting no without hesitation. It's a stadium. There are so much more necessary things tax money should go for and Nassau already gets reamed with thier tax bills. And with these days of HDTV's, surround sound and ridiculous ticket prices, more people I know are happy to invite friends over, have some food and watch events in the comfort of their own homes. This isn't the cash cow the proponents paint it to be.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:05 AM

236 posts, read 471,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLamb0518 View Post
If I lived in Nassau I'd be voting no without hesitation. It's a stadium. There are so much more necessary things tax money should go for and Nassau already gets reamed with thier tax bills. And with these days of HDTV's, surround sound and ridiculous ticket prices, more people I know are happy to invite friends over, have some food and watch events in the comfort of their own homes. This isn't the cash cow the proponents paint it to be.
It's a stadium that brings in more than $200 million in revenue to Nassau County annually.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:07 AM

150 posts, read 296,811 times
Vote no, then you can remember fondly those days where you saw the Islanders, the circus, the carnival, big name concerts, car shows, boat shows, camper shows, job fairs etc...

You'll remember it fondly as you take the train to the Barclay's Center in Brooklyn where all that business is going to go. Or when you drive by the asphalt graveyard of Nassau Coliseum in a few years, but hey plenty of room for a mega CVS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island