Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 60,607 times

Advertisements

Im voting "no"

why?

first, wang wants to front the whole thing by himself, nassau rejects it.

now, wang is seeking tax payers to pay for it all, and the government agrees.

SCAM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 06:30 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
Agreed.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:27 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
It may be the best idea to pull Long Island out of the malaise it is in, BUT, why not hold off until the September primary which has to be held regardless and add it to that vote. No special election that we the taxpayers will have to bear the cost of should it fail which amounts to over 2 MILLION dollars. August is a big vacation month and many people away will certainly mean fewer people to decide an important decision.

No guarantees of how the revenue will be applied = cost estimates from $13 - $58 for 30 years. Revenue going to the general fund instead of debt service. In other words, if the county needs money for something and it isn't directed to reduce the debt and is in the general fund, it can be used for any other purpose deemed according to fair accounting standards.

Read the proposition and see if you feel comfortable that the necessary questions have been answered.
"Shall a Local Law be approved to establish 'The Nassau County Hub Area Development Program' (the 'Hub Program') and to: (i) authorize the expenditure of up to $400,000,000, to be bonded by the County and expended solely for the construction of projects in the Hub Area including a new Nassau Coliseum, a minor league baseball stadium, and other economic development projects, (ii) establish a line on property tax bills dedicated to the payment of the debt service associated with the Hub Program, and to (iii) to establish a special revenue fund dedicated exclusively to the payment of the debt service on the bonds issued pursuant to the Hub Program."

Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM

11 posts, read 22,237 times
Voting no saves the average household about $40 per year.

That $40 will enable Nassau to keep the Islanders, get a minor league baseball stadium, a premier concert venue, and put hundreds of people to work for the next few years.

Yes, based on principle I should vote no because Wang should be paying for all of it, but voting yes is for the greater good. I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:44 PM

244 posts, read 540,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistereduser View Post
Voting no saves the average household about $40 per year.

That $40 will enable Nassau to keep the Islanders, get a minor league baseball stadium, a premier concert venue, and put hundreds of people to work for the next few years.

Yes, based on principle I should vote no because Wang should be paying for all of it, but voting yes is for the greater good. I won't cut off my nose to spite my face.
I am glad, in a way, not to be dealing with this, living in Suffolk.

I do, however, pity anyone who doesn't know who Wang is, what company he ran, and how it (almost) fell to pieces shortly after he "retired", while ignoring what happened under his watch, while his protege took all the blame.

Anyway, back to the $40/year.

I always thought Republicans were against raising taxes.

And why does Wang need $400 million to build this thing when he's got all his Computer Associates money in the first place? Can't he invest it himself in his own enterprise?

Something smells funny...

Old 07-28-2011, 09:48 PM

852 posts, read 1,443,310 times
I think that an assurance should be provided that all tax revenue from this project will go back to home-owning taxpayers in the form of yearly rebate checks... and NO NEW government or government related positions or projects will be created or funded with such.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:02 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
What's really making me mad are all the misleading ads telling everyone to vote yes. Have you passed the Coliseum recently? Disgusting. Have you heard the radio ads and seen the print ads everywhere? It's really irritating. There was even this truck near TD Bank with a sign that said "VOTE YES"

Why can't Wang just pay for it like he was going to? Shucks, he was gonna even do condos, entertainment space, and everything. It also would've boosted property values in the area. With some minor adjustments, Hempstead Turnpike and the Meadowbrook Parkway could've handled the added traffic.

Again, why should (allegedly) broke Nassau have to pay for this? It feels like we're getting less for more. I bet Mangano and Murray are getting kickbacks for this.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post
What's really making me mad are all the misleading ads telling everyone to vote yes. Have you passed the Coliseum recently? Disgusting. Have you heard the radio ads and seen the print ads everywhere? It's really irritating. There was even this truck near TD Bank with a sign that said "VOTE YES"

Why can't Wang just pay for it like he was going to? Shucks, he was gonna even do condos, entertainment space, and everything. It also would've boosted property values in the area. With some minor adjustments, Hempstead Turnpike and the Meadowbrook Parkway could've handled the added traffic.

Again, why should (allegedly) broke Nassau have to pay for this? It feels like we're getting less for more. I bet Mangano and Murray are getting kickbacks for this.
He would have if the IDIOT republican woman would have let the Lighthouse Project go through. Now it's a lesser deal but will significantly benefit long island workers.It is estimated that it would create 3000 jobs. Now would you rather see an ugly coliseum the way it is now, a brand new complex, or a bigger eyesore as a condemned, vacant building?

Old 07-28-2011, 10:40 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjretrac View Post

Kate Murray sucks, The End. The Lighthouse Project was the way to go, it was approved by Suozzi and the county a few years back, but Murray stomped her feet threw a fit and used her power in the TOH to put a stop to any of the Lighthouse plans. The Town of Hempstead Political Machine (Kate Murray and company) do whatever the hell they want, stop whatever they want for reasons that have nothing to do with what the right thing to do is, but for what suits their own interests.

The Lighthouse project just makes too much sense in order for it to get done with Kate Murray in charge.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,724,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Now would you rather see an ugly coliseum the way it is now, a brand new complex, or a bigger eyesore as a condemned, vacant building?
I would like the second option but with Wang paying for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The Lighthouse project just makes too much sense in order for it to get done with Kate Murray in charge.
Exactly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island