Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 13,392 times

Advertisements

Im looking to move to long island and wondering what areas have a lot of spanish people. If anybody can help thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2011, 10:16 PM

208 posts, read 492,115 times
um Why? lol

Old 07-23-2011, 10:35 PM

90 posts, read 218,258 times
Brentwood

Old 07-23-2011, 11:20 PM

2 posts, read 13,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
um Why? lol
Because I am Spanish myself and want to be around my own people.

Old 07-24-2011, 02:56 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas6man View Post
Because I am Spanish myself and want to be around my own people.
By "Spanish" I assume you mean Hispanic? Hmm, okay, this is a hard one:
  • Try looking at parts of Huntington Station. Some 'decent' parts of Huntington Station have large Hispanic populations. I haven't heard too many good things about the School District that most of this area falls under but to the best of my knowledge it's not a failing school district, just a little under-performing. Some parts of Hunting Station are plagued by crime but it seems to depend on area; maybs somebody who lives in or around Hunt.Station can give you a more in-depth analysis.
  • The northern part of Copiague (between sunrise and county rd.12) has a large Hispanic population. This area doesn't seem like a bad area and is close to a lot of shopping and to the beach.
  • Also maybe look at Islandia, there is a lot more Hispanic people there nowadays though they are not the majority. A drawback is that they (almost all of it) is in Central Islip School District which is a failing school district.
  • Hicksville east of Broadway may be a good choice too.
(The largest portion of the Hispanic population on the island is BY FAR is located in the Brentwood/Central Islip/North Bay Shore area. These areas are generally problematic areas but there are some nice little enclaves in this huge area. I notice some newer home subdivisions that could deliver a middle class atmosphere around Pine Aire Dr. in B-Wood; they also build some big new houses throughout these 3 towns too for pretty cheap; the area around the big courthouse in CI has a lot of nice newer condo's/apartments too and i've always found the Connetquot area of CI to be charming too. The problem with this is that all 3 of these towns are in failing school districts and have issues with gang violence/crime so if you have children and are willing to put them in Private School and raise them in a way where they could stay clear of the wrong crowds then you may be able to have a good quality of life in these towns.)

Here is a map that shows racial makeups of given areas, along with income info, education levels, etc, etc;
Mapping America ? Census Bureau 2005-9 American Community Survey - NYTimes.com

Good luck.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 07-24-2011 at 04:08 AM..

Old 07-24-2011, 05:20 AM

603 posts, read 1,947,259 times
Brentwood,central islip,parts of patchogue,islandia

Old 07-24-2011, 07:24 AM

629 posts, read 1,700,709 times
And how - exactly - are we defining "good"?

Old 07-24-2011, 10:37 AM

401 posts, read 944,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas6man View Post
Im looking to move to long island and wondering what areas have a lot of spanish people. If anybody can help thank you!
Is this JWB yankin our chain???

Old 07-24-2011, 01:28 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,328,489 times
Who cares if what he's saying is racist or not.

Long Island is one of the most segregated places in the country and I strongly doubt this is just a matter of coincidence. The reality is that the vast majority of people clearly wish to live around mostly people who are the same race as them. He just has the guts to admit it.

Old 07-24-2011, 04:20 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Don't forget there is a sizable Spanish Jewish presence in the Village of Cedarhurst and surrounding villages and hamlets in the 5 Towns area in the southwest part of the Town of Hempstead, Nassau County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island