Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM

37 posts, read 59,823 times

Advertisements

"Typical Nimby-ite." No I am not. "What's in it for me?" You must be a taker. If I had more money in my pockets as opposed to politicians taking it would I not have more money to spend right here on Long Island and therefore tax revenue would increase ? Thinking of the thousands of other individuals who would have more money in their pockets to do what they please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
We totally agree. The only difference is the $400m vote was a setup. The only reason for the vote was a FAILURE to get something done and then try to dump the failure (and the bill) on the taxpayers. It's not just about the Islanders. Some people could care less about them but still get the importance (and the perception, as you rightly pointed out) about losing the team/arena. So the JOB of the leaders was to put a decent plan together and not one that was a a bald faced hail mary dump on the taxpayer that probably would have resulted in the bare minimum of a solution and a lowball estimate of the REAL costs. I bet even a HINT of a public private partnership (say $100m private and $300m public) probably would have passed (just conjecture and my opinion of course). ANYTHING besides handing over the rubble of a failed negotiation to the people and say "here, vote on this pile of crap...heads you lose, tails you lose more." That ain't leadership. It's indicative of the arrogant way LI always dumps on the middle class and we suck it up like guppies and vote for the same regime again and again. That's why I say we deserved this mess.

Along with others I lay this squarely on the back of Kate and ToH. I've never dealt with a govt I truly despised and had less respect for in my entire life and I've lived all over.
They also refused to give any promises that we would get that money back or at least hold the line on future tax increases with the use of money made from the new Coliseum. Anything made on concessions, etc., was NOT earmarked to reduce future taxes to make up for the 100% on the taxpayers' backs building of a brand new arena. It was going into the General Fund (to be spent like crazy, as usual).

Another thing I did not like was why the rush for the vote? Why pay out another $2M dollars that Nassau County does not have to vote on this issue in August, when there was an election already coming up in November?

If anything good comes of this, it MAY be that we get a candidate who doesn't have his/her head up their posterior to win TOH Supervisor against Kate Murray.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:16 PM

863 posts, read 2,108,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2102 View Post
Why should I pay for a stadium that I do not frequent ? Why should I have to subsidize the players incomes, YOUR tickets, Wang and the businesses that surround while removing income from my pocket ? Frankly, I am tired of subsiding Hollywood's tax breaks that they receive while again my income is diminished and the limousine liberal's head to the Hampton's and then tell us how to live. Tired of seeing baseball players making enormous sums for hitting and catching a ball while the owners and pols scream for my money. 2007: "Alex Rodriguez set another record for baseball's highest contract, finalizing his $275 million, 10-year agreement with the New York Yankees." Enough !

Taxpayers are always at the short end of the stick with this NEW stadiums built around the country.

If I had more money in my pocket then I would have more to spend or invest into companies that can grow here on Long Island without taking from someone else. These businesses would replace a hockey team or perhaps a new sports team will decide to set foot on Long Island.

Wake up unless you are a taker.
Well because in the end your taxes will go up anyway so it's either you take it upfront or later. Still a slow death.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:18 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green2102 View Post
"Typical Nimby-ite." No I am not. "What's in it for me?" You must be a taker. If I had more money in my pockets as opposed to politicians taking it would I not have more money to spend right here on Long Island and therefore tax revenue would increase ? Thinking of the thousands of other individuals who would have more money in their pockets to do what they please.
I don't even know what you are talking about. I never supported the $400m raping. Another one chiming in 2 days late to the party. Google: Lighthouse Project then come back.
For the record, anything that increases growth is GOOD FOR ALL OF US. Kate Murray's plan matches yours. "We didn't raise taxes (false) and we have the world's greatest bond rating so we must be doing something right." WRONG. They have the bond rating because they DO NOTHING so never have to fund any projects and have stockpiled revenues from overtaxing us for years and are sitting on cash they use for patronage jobs and raises...oh yeah, and getting RE-ELCETED! Getting them to green light any PRIVATE (I'll say it again...PRIVATE) development has proven next to impossible. That hurts us all. I don't know what a "taker" is except for local govt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post

Those figures come from the proponents of the plan and are exaggerated, just like every other sports-team giveaway is exaggerated.
Think you came in in the middle of the show, too. I never supported the $400m vote. I supported the Lighthouse project. All private money. $0 from john q. public. Nothing to exaggerate. I don't mind traffic. It usually means business is good.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

236 posts, read 473,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Well because in the end your taxes will go up anyway so it's either you take it upfront or later. Still a slow death.
And on top of that, when taxes don't go up, as Mangano likes to boast in his budgets, it's usually because the dough is coming in via ridiculous fees and other various cash grabs from unsuspecting folks' pockets.

They're getting your money one way or the other.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:54 PM

886 posts, read 2,647,354 times
With no pro teams at the NC the best idea would be to knock it down and build a soccer stadium. It would be used every day and night by groups from all over Nassau/Queens and Brooklyn.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:38 PM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The eligible voters in the county got what they deserved by allowing the same county and town officials to stay in power. They have destroyed our standard of living in the last 30 years through patronage and greed, they understand that voters are ignorant and that they can continue to use our taxes for their own personal benefit. The Nassau Coliseum is just a symptom of the pathetic state of voters. One of the wealthies counties in the US and we can't afford a sports arena.

Old 10-25-2012, 07:06 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,996,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue53 View Post
With no pro teams at the NC the best idea would be to knock it down and build a soccer stadium. It would be used every day and night by groups from all over Nassau/Queens and Brooklyn.
Lol then call immigration on those groups.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:42 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The eligible voters in the county got what they deserved by allowing the same county and town officials to stay in power. They have destroyed our standard of living in the last 30 years through patronage and greed, they understand that voters are ignorant and that they can continue to use our taxes for their own personal benefit. The Nassau Coliseum is just a symptom of the pathetic state of voters. One of the wealthies counties in the US and we can't afford a sports arena.
Hit the nail on the head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island