Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 10:21 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,685,820 times

Advertisements

I'll be leaving for a far, distant, strange..but relatively safe..land...AKA Rocky Point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 12:51 PM

2,361 posts, read 1,744,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I'll be leaving for a far, distant, strange..but relatively safe..land...AKA Rocky Point.

Strap in, kids...here comes a hurricane of Rocky Point jokes....

Old 08-25-2011, 01:03 PM

732 posts, read 1,731,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I thought he fell into the cryogenic container while making a pizza delivery?
I'm going to order all my pizzas under the name "I.C. Weiner" from now on.

Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,605,372 times
From Nassau County Executive, Ed Mangano (via eMail)

Dear Neighbors,

With hurricane Irene heading toward our coast, we urge all Nassau County residents to prepare appropriately for the storm. Below please find a list of precautions to take and items to have in your home to prepare you.

1. Select a safe place for the family to weather the storm. This may be a location in your home - consider a windowless room on the bottom floor. If your home doesn't have a safe area, you should know the locations of at least two emergency shelters near your home. If you have special medical needs and don't think you'll be able to get to the shelter on your own, contact the county in advance to make prior arrangements.

2. Stock up on food and water. You should have enough non-perishable food and water in your home to last the family for at least a week. If your stock of supplies is old, be sure to refresh it. You might want to purchase new canned goods every few years and rotate the rest through your pantry. Water should be replaced annually.

3. Prepare other disaster supplies. You'll need to stock up on batteries, flashlights, rope, tarps, plastic bags, bad-weather clothing and other essentials to help you through the aftermath of a bad storm.

4. Get your home ready. If you have hurricane shutters, make sure that you have all of the parts and have some extra screws/washers handy. If you don't, have a supply of plywood precut to fit your windows. Gather anything loose from your yard and store it in the garage. Watch the news when a storm is approaching and protect your home when advised by local authorities. If you wait until the rain starts, it may be too late.

5. Develop a family communications plan. You might become separated before or after the storm. It's a good idea to have an out-of-state contact (a relative up north?) to act as the point of contact for all family members in the event of an emergency. Make sure everyone in the family knows who that person is and carries their phone number in their wallet or purse.

6. Check your insurance coverage. Companies stop writing coverage when a storm is approaching. Ensure that your homeowner's insurance has enough windstorm coverage to rebuild your home in today's market. Also, remember that standard insurance doesn't cover flooding. You'll need special flood insurance from the federal government.

7. Plan for the family pets. Shelters will not accept pets. However, there will be Pet Shelters in close proximity to the Human shelters for your pets. The best idea is to evacuate early to a friend's home that's located in a safe area.

8. Keep your vehicles gassed up to at least half a tank at all times throughout hurricane season. When a storm approaches, lines WILL get long (up to five hours!) and gas stations will run out of gas before the storm hits. You need to have enough gas to safely evacuate if the situation warrants.

Recommended Items to Include in a Basic Emergency Supply Kit:

Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra
batteries for both
Flashlight and extra batteries
First aid kit
Whistle to signal for help
Dust mask, to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place
Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation
Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
Local maps
Cell phone with chargers, inverter or solar charger

Additional Items to Consider Adding to an Emergency Supply Kit:

Prescription medications and glasses
Infant formula and diapers
Pet food and extra water for your pet
Cash or traveler's checks and change
Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container. You can use the Emergency Financial First Aid Kit
(EFFAK) - PDF, 277Kb) developed by Operation Hope, FEMA and Citizen Corps to help you organize your information.
Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from Ready.gov - Prepare. Plan. Stay Informed..
Sleeping bag or warm blanket for each person. Consider additional bedding if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes.
Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
Fire Extinguisher
Matches in a waterproof container
Feminine supplies and personal hygiene items
Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
Paper and pencil
Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

Find out how to keep food safe during and after an emergency by visiting FoodSafety.gov.

Please contact me if you have any questions or concerns. Stay safe.

Sincerely,

Edward P. Mangano
County Executive

For the latest news and events occurring in and around Nassau County, please visit Nassau County News Network

Old 08-25-2011, 08:32 PM

592 posts, read 916,039 times
Tonight the National Hurricane Center has the storm projected to pass over land in NJ--- good for LI:

http://icons-ecast.wunderground.com/data/images/at201109.gif (broken link)

Old 08-26-2011, 05:47 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,982,878 times
I saw that a 39mph wind will cancel MTA Rail and Subway operations.
At what point does NYC close the Bridges and tunnels?

Old 08-26-2011, 06:13 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,504,233 times
Long Island looks like a good spot if you want to see a good storm have fun guys.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:01 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,402,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
Long Island looks like a good spot if you want to see a good storm have fun guys.
I moved from Long Island to NC last year. I'm a bit bummed I'm going to miss a good storm!!!

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,499,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo_michael View Post
I saw that a 39mph wind will cancel MTA Rail and Subway operations.
At what point does NYC close the Bridges and tunnels?
50 mph

Old 08-26-2011, 09:39 AM

10,195 posts, read 6,264,283 times
I just called my daughter and she was not planning to do anything. She lives in a basement apartment with her cat in Copaigue just off Montauk Highway. Her window is just off the ground.

I told her to take her cat and get out. Too many basements get flooded in that area just from normal heavy rains. She did tell me that she tried to get Renter's Insurance and they told her they don't insure that area for flooding. Hint?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island