Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 07:35 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Gotta get them 30% off Vizios and Westinghouses, bro.
Wal-Mart Employee Trampled to Death - NYTimes.com
Black Friday is a disaster as much as Vancouver rioting and trashing the city after losing the cup. You also cannot include zombie movies.

Hurricanes, tsunamis, terrorists, bombs, tornados, etc - those disasters (which I believe the OP is referring to)... REAL disasters that gets you into true "survival mode". Where have we seen people killing each other in those scenarios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Ooo.. kind of like my zombie action plan.

1) Fill every container in the house with water. Immediately cover my pool.
2) Full ammo load out (630 rounds).
3) Take stock of any medications I have or will need.
4) Take stock of food.
5) Take stock of neighborhood, see who has what.

Water should last a few months. Food I have a few weeks on hand if I ration it. If I need to go on after that I'm going to borrow a bike and head over to the nearest deer infested area LI calls a park and bring home a few dozen pounds of fresh meat. Smoke most, grill some for immediate use. I can also fish/crab for the wife and kid with the deer entrails. Theres a lake by the house, so if I absolutely start getting in dire need of water then I guess I'll be boiling that too.

That iss the easy part. The hard part comes in the winter when your trying to stay warm.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:46 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Black Friday is a disaster as much as Vancouver rioting and trashing the city after losing the cup. You also cannot include zombie movies.

Hurricanes, tsunamis, terrorists, bombs, tornados, etc - those disasters (which I believe the OP is referring to)... REAL disasters that gets you into true "survival mode". Where have we seen people killing each other in those scenarios?
I was joking (sort of)...

The point is, regardless of if we've had a major disaster or not, we ALREADY have evidence of complete disregard for our fellow humans, as proven by the animals trampling an employee for some cheap Chinese TVs, terrible road rage incidents, etc.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Some people have very vivid imaginations. If things really ever did descend into chaos, all the guns in the world wouldn't be able to save you from Lord Humongous!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:56 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I was joking (sort of)...

The point is, regardless of if we've had a major disaster or not, we ALREADY have evidence of complete disregard for our fellow humans, as proven by the animals trampling an employee for some cheap Chinese TVs, terrible road rage incidents, etc.
You're completely missing the point. Were you in the city for the black-out or 9/11? When faced with a real disaster, people are more inclined to help each other. I'm not saying that the fire in the theater couldn't result in people getting trampled - it happens. But on a big scale when the entire area gets punched in the face - flood, storms, etc. the trample scenario is not what you typically see.

The wall yourself off with ammo and keeping self sufficient supplies is for the zombie movies.

P.S. Most weather experts are predicting an insane Hurricane season with LI mentioned quite often. It's not a stretch to think this whole theory could be tested.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:02 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
Quote:
You're completely missing the point. Were you in the city for the black-out or 9/11? When faced with a real disaster, people are more inclined to help each other. I'm not saying that the fire in the theater couldn't result in people getting trampled - it happens. But on a big scale when the entire area gets punched in the face - flood, storms, etc. the trample scenario is not what you typically see.

The wall yourself off with ammo and keeping self sufficient supplies is for the zombie movies.

P.S. Most weather experts are predicting an insane Hurricane season with LI mentioned quite often. It's not a stretch to think this whole theory could be tested.
I wasn't, but my father was one of the first responders to 9/11. Yes, there was a LOT of help, but I don't think comparing 9/11 (a terrorist attack) to a major hurricane or flooding situation (a natural disaster) is the same thing. I am probably wrong, but I really don't have much faith in people these days.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:05 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,516,220 times
I think the negative tends to be overhyped by the media. Even in Katrina (the most recent event to the scale of what I think this thread is about) the good that people did for each other far outweighed the bad, despite what you saw in the media.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:28 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:
You mention black-outs, but I made it home to Eastern LI from Hoboken during the big black-out by ferry, walking over the Brooklyn bridge, and eventually catching a ride in Jamaica. I didn't see any looting and I saw people helping each other the entire way home.
Interesting, it took me over 3 hours to get from Massapequa to Oakdale that day and I vividly remember sitting at a standstill for well over an hour on the southern state near the suffolk border with cars that overheated or ran out of gas and loads of people standing outside their cars screaming that their cell phones weren't working and asking why the power was out. It wasn't pretty. As far as being helpful goes, I clearly remember a grown man cursing at a young, frightened woman to "get your car the 'eff' out of the road" apparently she had a mechanical failure and when the traffic finally started to move she was in his way.
When I got home things were fine, my neighborhood was calm. we all talked and checked in on the elderly & asked each other if we needed anything. I have little confidence that in an extended emergency situation everyone will remain calm. Surely those that are prepared will be calm.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Your feeble attempt at impressing me that you worked in Massapequa/lived in Eastern Suffolk and COPED with the human disaster on Eastern Long Island...pathetic...I coped with both those days and I can assure you I wasnt comfortably home in my potato field, drinking organic soy while "coping" with the disaster. Poser!!!
if that is supposed to be witty or funny it's not.

Epic Fail! (as usual)

I know your buddy SIB already came to your rescue by calling me classy, looks like you're pretty classy yourself

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Right over your head again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island