Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 10:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times

Advertisements

^^Wow, that's crazy. Thanks for sharing.

Too bad that didn't end up with a discrimination suit. If that was me then their butts would've been mine!

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 04-19-2016 at 10:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 02:50 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ well that was decades ago... not surprising.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM

1,586 posts, read 2,147,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ well that was decades ago... not surprising.
Yeah, but it wasn't 1960. It was, like, the late 1990s.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:00 PM

^ look at how much even LGBT people are accepted now though. Huge steps the last decade.

In the 90s I think we had like 5 asians in a graduating class. Now there's 5 in a classroom and more importantly, kids have been growing up with all kinds (even in their books) and don't see race like we did.

Old 04-19-2016, 09:48 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I miss segregation. I say bring it back.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:52 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ look at how much even LGBT people are accepted now though. Huge steps the last decade.

In the 90s I think we had like 5 asians in a graduating class. Now there's 5 in a classroom and more importantly, kids have been growing up with all kinds (even in their books) and don't see race like we did.
Only CERTAIN lgbt people are accepted more (gays, lesbians and bisexuals). Transgenders have always been using the bathroom with those of their identified gender but only NOW has it become an issue. Transgenders are not even a protected class in most states.

As for race relations, I think those have actually gotten worse within the last decade. Half of the crap that you hear on the news is about racial tensions; and these racial tensions eerily resemble those of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960's. The wealth gap between the races are widening as well. The only difference is that most people are much more discrete, subtle about their views and sugarcoat them. When people are given anonymity to express themselves (like on forums and newsite comment boards) then people's true colors come out.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:02 AM

^ the media has had a lot to do with the recent racial tensions. Go to any common neighborhood and it's better than it was 20-30 years ago. Ferguson did not cause tension in a half-white, half-black area like where the HHH schools are. It did not cause black towns here to become unruly. It's not that it didn't happen elsewhere, it's that it's not as widespread as you fear if you simply watched tv. Is LI racist? I think the non-action here actually showed us a lot. We are FAR ahead of many other states - I think this should be obvious.

Wealth gap is across classes, not races. Even middle class white people here are frustrated.
Transgenders will get their day. Is history not telling?
Sugarcoating - well that happens IRL with any topic, not just race. When was the last time you told a cop or teacher to pound sand IRL? If you're a closet racist but do not take action toward that, what's the difference really? Nobody else is affected by it.

Last edited by ovi8; 04-20-2016 at 11:11 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 12:09 PM

295 posts, read 181,083 times
I'm not sure I agree. I think we're in a very dangerous spot down here in East Hampton. My husband and I brought our two kids and my kid sister I law to an egg hunt this past Easter..should have been fun but instead it was a joke. A number of hispanic adults ruined it for the majority. Between my five year old and two year old we got three of three thousand eggs. A large number of the eggs went to mothers and fathers grabbing handfuls of eggs from a section meant for toddlers..if I didn't have to background in sociology that I do, I'd have walked away from that was a deep resentment of a specific color of people. Hell it took a lot of reminding that it wasn't their race that made them act that way.

Old 04-20-2016, 12:30 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,471,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
I'm not sure I agree. I think we're in a very dangerous spot down here in East Hampton. My husband and I brought our two kids and my kid sister I law to an egg hunt this past Easter..should have been fun but instead it was a joke. A number of hispanic adults ruined it for the majority. Between my five year old and two year old we got three of three thousand eggs. A large number of the eggs went to mothers and fathers grabbing handfuls of eggs from a section meant for toddlers..if I didn't have to background in sociology that I do, I'd have walked away from that was a deep resentment of a specific color of people. Hell it took a lot of reminding that it wasn't their race that made them act that way.
That's odd, I've never observed such behavior

Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 PM

295 posts, read 181,083 times
I know. I know a lot of awesome Columbian and Mexican immigrants who are the sweetest kindest people and then these guys were just dicks. And because this was an event that involved kids, it was so much harder to brush off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island