Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 07:41 PM

295 posts, read 181,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Why? Because I've worked hard to provide a better quality of life for myself and choose to live in an area that gives me that luxury?
My parents busted their asses, they had their own painting business. In today's economy, that business doesn't provide nearly as well as it did ten years ago. So what, they don't deserve to get to live in an area with a better quality of life? That's the problem. The vast majority of people work very hard. Unfortunately, that often isn't enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 08:19 PM

12 posts, read 10,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Why? Because I've worked hard to provide a better quality of life for myself and choose to live in an area that gives me that luxury?
And others haven't worked hard? I worked hard and live in a high "class" area and in a million dollar house.. Why do I have to face racism? You are the delusional kind who think racism doesn't exist anymore.

Old 05-04-2016, 08:27 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Thread locked in 5...4...3...

Old 05-05-2016, 03:22 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
[quote]Racism/classism/ any -ism is inherent in human nature. You can try to government regulate all you want, but its human nature. [quote]

A doctor wrote this if you can believe it.

Old 05-05-2016, 05:58 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,941,677 times
[quote=long isle;43947587][quote]Racism/classism/ any -ism is inherent in human nature. You can try to government regulate all you want, but its human nature.
Quote:

It's true though for most folks.... whether they admit to it or act upon it is a different story.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:31 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
[quote=long isle;43947587][quote]Racism/classism/ any -ism is inherent in human nature. You can try to government regulate all you want, but its human nature.
Quote:

Exactly!

I'm a minority myself despite some posters here thinking that i'm "white". Born and raised in areas of brooklyn and manhattan that were slums back in the 80's - 90's. Did I let my race or my living conditions discourage me from working hard to achieve a better life for myself? No. Sure i've endured racism but I didn't let it get to my and it only gave me the desire to keep pushing. I now own my own business and live in an area where I am the only hispanic male that I know of who lives on my block.

Yes there is a big difference between racism and classism. Many people who worked to get to where they are and to be able to live in a decent area with little crime and better quality of life do not want to live next door to someone who abused the welfare system for half their life and/or have multiple children just for the sake of receiving more govt handouts regardless of their race. Why should they be handed what I worked hard for?

Racism on the other hand is just flat out wrong but its something that will always exist. You can either work towards bettering your life or sit back and make excuses. If I can overcome my rough and broken childhood to be where I am today, so can those who cry that the "white man" or the "govt" is keeping them down.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:36 AM

Doctors in the US still recommend circumcision when the vast majority of first world countries has left that far behind. I've had a doctor condescend to me when I told him point blank he was absolutely wrong in telling me it was okay to retract an infants foreskin. Only in the US would you have a dr give such ridiculous "medical knowledge". On a psychological side, the work of Frued was once considered scientific, now it is widely discredited.

Children learn things like racism and classism.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:44 AM

[quote=louie0406;43948364][quote=long isle;43947587]
Quote:
Racism/classism/ any -ism is inherent in human nature. You can try to government regulate all you want, but its human nature.

Exactly!

I'm a minority myself despite some posters here thinking that i'm "white". Born and raised in areas of brooklyn and manhattan that were slums back in the 80's - 90's. Did I let my race or my living conditions discourage me from working hard to achieve a better life for myself? No. Sure i've endured racism but I didn't let it get to my and it only gave me the desire to keep pushing. I now own my own business and live in an area where I am the only hispanic male that I know of who lives on my block.

Yes there is a big difference between racism and classism. Many people who worked to get to where they are and to be able to live in a decent area with little crime and better quality of life do not want to live next door to someone who abused the welfare system for half their life and/or have multiple children just for the sake of receiving more govt handouts regardless of their race. Why should they be handed what I worked hard for?

Racism on the other hand is just flat out wrong but its something that will always exist. You can either work towards bettering your life or sit back and make excuses. If I can overcome my rough and broken childhood to be where I am today, so can those who cry that the "white man" or the "govt" is keeping them down.
This is that old "boot straps" crap. Sure. A few will climb the ladder, but what you seem to be missing are two very important things. 1) the system is stacked against all but a few. You know property taxes fund school districts, so from the get go, if you live in a poor neighborhood, your school system won't be comparable to those from an affluent town. If you get a subpar education, your foundation is already cracked. You're not gonna change your mind so I won't bother with other examples but that's just one small one. It doesn't have to be that way and the govt did decide that soo...yes, the govt IS keeping those kids down. 2) kids learn from their environment. Not every kid can overcome the psychological effects of poverty. I.e. Going hungry, the stress, unstable shelter, etc. couple that with inadequate mental health access and boom. You can't sit here and say "this is the greatest country on earth" when even people who are completely disenfranchised pay taxes but still get nothing from their govt that is suppose to be for them. We are promised by our constitution "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". That's not being delivered.

Old 05-05-2016, 06:59 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,570,419 times
[quote=SharinganAi;43948459][quote=louie0406;43948364]
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post

This is that old "boot straps" crap. Sure. A few will climb the ladder, but what you seem to be missing are two very important things. 1) the system is stacked against all but a few. You know property taxes fund school districts, so from the get go, if you live in a poor neighborhood, your school system won't be comparable to those from an affluent town. If you get a subpar education, your foundation is already cracked. You're not gonna change your mind so I won't bother with other examples but that's just one small one. It doesn't have to be that way and the govt did decide that soo...yes, the govt IS keeping those kids down. 2) kids learn from their environment. Not every kid can overcome the psychological effects of poverty. I.e. Going hungry, the stress, unstable shelter, etc. couple that with inadequate mental health access and boom. You can't sit here and say "this is the greatest country on earth" when even people who are completely disenfranchised pay taxes but still get nothing from their govt that is suppose to be for them. We are promised by our constitution "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". That's not being delivered.
I'll tell you what I don't respect..

Those who are poor and given all the opportunities in the world to overcome poverty and rise out of it yet choose not to but instead sit back and complain. These are people who the govt provides free schooling, free or little to nothing cost for housing, free food, etc..

I'll give you an example. My fiancé when she was young and still learning about life became pregnant at an early age. She had her son and 6 months later the childs father left them. With very little options she applied for welfare benefits so that she can raise her son and provide healthcare. She entered a welfare to work program so that she can attain skills for the workforce. Fast forward 22 years to today. She's a director of finance for a large company and her son is a college grad who just started his career with the fdny. Both of them are hispanic and both beat the odds and overcame their struggles.

I'll give you another example.. My neighbors are immigrants from Slovakia. Both came to this country 10yrs ago and didn't speak a lick of english. Wife sought out work at a nearby bread factory while the husband took on odd jobs doing maintenance work for whomever was willing to hire him for the day/week/month. Today the husband owns his own contracting business. The wife is a registered nurse, and both of their kids are in college and about to graduate.

Yes poor people do have it rougher, but lets not act as if the govt doesnt lend them a helping hand to overcome their struggles. Some choose to use it to their advantage while some choose not to and instead accept their situation while placing blame on society.

Last edited by louie0406; 05-05-2016 at 08:13 AM..

Old 05-05-2016, 07:01 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharinganAi View Post
Doctors in the US still recommend circumcision when the vast majority of first world countries has left that far behind. I've had a doctor condescend to me when I told him point blank he was absolutely wrong in telling me it was okay to retract an infants foreskin. Only in the US would you have a dr give such ridiculous "medical knowledge". On a psychological side, the work of Frued was once considered scientific, now it is widely discredited.

Children learn things like racism and classism.
Of course it is learned behavior. It's pretty sad that anyone would think it was inherent, not to mention a doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island