Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2015, 10:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

^ same for Oyster Bay, one time $30 fee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 07:05 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
NY & NJ still the only places I know that charge for the beach in this country...

Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
May have to do with maintenance and keeping lifeguards (shortage) and cleanliness despite the crowds. Space is at a premium. Nice day at Robert Moses today, only 2 lots weren't full. Lots of people still giving them money. Not any different from the county and state parks really. We were at Oyster Bay yesterday and the grounds and bathrooms were immaculately clean even with so many people.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:41 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,449,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
NY & NJ still the only places I know that charge for the beach in this country...
As well they should. Nassau County and Suffolk pay a ton to maintain beaches. Which is in turn paid by the property owners and tax payers in Nassau and Suffolk.

Come summer hoards and hoards of NY City folks invade beaches bringing trash, traffic and taking up spots and using bathrooms, lifeguard services etc. Of course they should pay.

Some little tiny beach down south where 99% is used by the residents who pay for beach should be free.

Old 07-19-2015, 08:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Here, in my new home of Pennsylvania, all the state parks are free. Most state parks here have life guards, bathrooms, picnic tables, and trash cans. Unlike Long Island, we don't have to pay through the nose to park our cars or get in. That is because our tax dollars are used to fund these parks, not fatten the pensions of public officials and hand off money to the illegals. Long Island will never have enough money to fund their beaches and parks and will soon tax you to breath. Beaches below the high water mark are public property and it is a disgrace what your state and municipalities get away with. You guys pay the highest property taxes in the nation and yet you can't even use your parks and beaches without paying another fee. No wonder all of your kids are getting hooked on heroin, middle class families can't even afford to do anything or enjoy the great outdoors.
Some true points. But too bad it's in PA. How are your beaches? LI is damn expensive but it also offer beach access minutes from any town, NYC culture and nightlife, endless shopping, etc. PA and many other states are much less to live and play in, except there is not much to do there. I know some people with summer homes in the Poconos but still keep their LI homes for all the things that PA can't offer. PA is nice to visit but not remotely comparable to Long Island to live in, except if you stay indoors all the time.

Old 07-19-2015, 02:07 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
As well they should. Nassau County and Suffolk pay a ton to maintain beaches. Which is in turn paid by the property owners and tax payers in Nassau and Suffolk.

Come summer hoards and hoards of NY City folks invade beaches bringing trash, traffic and taking up spots and using bathrooms, lifeguard services etc. Of course they should pay.

Some little tiny beach down south where 99% is used by the residents who pay for beach should be free.
Yes your right all the beaches from Delaware south are just for the locals Rehoboth, Ocean City, Virginia Beach, Outer Banks and Myrtle don't get much tourist traffic at all....

Life Guards, beach cleaning and all the other services exist beyond NY & NJ ... but I do think seeing the county residents are paying for the facilities in their with their taxes they shouldn't be charged.

Last edited by VA Yankee; 07-19-2015 at 03:24 PM..

Old 07-20-2015, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Yes your right all the beaches from Delaware south are just for the locals Rehoboth, Ocean City, Virginia Beach, Outer Banks and Myrtle don't get much tourist traffic at all....

Life Guards, beach cleaning and all the other services exist beyond NY & NJ ... but I do think seeing the county residents are paying for the facilities in their with their taxes they shouldn't be charged.
Some towns have resident only free beaches, Island Park, Point Lookout, Atlantic Beach, East Atlantic Beach, East Rockaway etc.

Nearly all since situated close to Queens Boarder and NY City have resorted to making whole area near beach no parking zones, picture IDs, manning gates etc. So now they have all the expenses of a paid for beach with none of the profit.

I actually saw a family from Queens actually walk over the Atlantic Beach Bridge last weekend and attempt to Access the Resident only beach club. It was almost comical. First they were a family of six, dressed in street clothes, no chairs, no blankets etc. Then when they to enter on a weekend and had no beach passes they claimed they were new residents and did not have time to get them, I was eavesdropping now as it was interesting.

The polite 16 year old girl tells them they are in luck as town hall is open on the weekends and is close to the beach entrance. She told them just walk up block show you License etc they will look up your deed and issue a beach pass and you can come right in.

To which they start screaming and yelling at the girl. I was shocked girl stayed very polite no reaction at all and they calmed down and walked away.

I guess if you are not from NY or NJ area the concept of a public beach that is for residents only is unusual. But I guess if someone has a two million dollar home by beach, pays 20K a year in taxes he does not want to see all of Queens on his beach for free.

Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 AM

703 posts, read 1,174,069 times
There are parking fees at the beach within a state park near my in-law's house in Florida.

Old 07-20-2015, 12:29 PM

82 posts, read 119,788 times
Hi does anyone know when parking attendants stop collecting parking fees at TOBAY BEACH on weekends? Thanks!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:33 PM

Rather pay nothing to go to the beach? Just wait until dusk. While the state-run beaches stop charging for entry at 4 p.m. on weekdays and 6 p.m. on weekends, waiting until late afternoon when the town-run beaches stop collecting saves the most money.

That’s because many town beaches charge exponentially higher fees for non-town residents. The best example is the Town of Oyster Bay’s oceanfront park, Tobay Beach, which offers $60 season passes for town residents and charges non-residents a whopping $50 per visit. But, ticket agents stop collecting there at 4 p.m.

Rivaling those rates is the Town of Babylon, where residents can buy a season pass for $40 and non-residents are charged up to $40 per visit to super-popular Gilgo and Cedar beaches (non-Babylonians are shunned altogether from Overlook)—until 5 p.m., that is. Dedicated after-hours Cedar Beach visitors who find the lot full can walk from nearby Overlook Beach immediately to the east.

Ticket collectors also go home at 5 p.m. at Town of Hempstead beaches, including Point Lookout, Lido, Lido West and Sands on the east end of Long Beach Island, where rates are $10 for residents and $25 for non-residents ($20 at Lido Beach Town Park). Hempstead doesn’t have a town-wide park pass, but season passes are offered at individual beaches with deals such as 15 trips for $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island