Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New York: Long Island, diversity, apartment, house.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:45 AM

500 posts, read 2,854,446 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was checking The New York Times website and I found an impressive, moving editorial in the Long Island section. It is about two murders that happened recently in Brentwood, NY. One of the victims was a Hispanic worker; the other was a dog.

(You can easily read it by going to nytimes.com and searching for "sickening acts")

In essence, the paper wonders what and where are Long Island's human values when the killing of a dog got intense attention from neighbors, media, TV and charity donors but the murder of a Latino worker drew not a single reaction from individuals or the local press.

The article is powerful and would be a good read for all those narrow-minded Long Islanders who have given the place a racist and intolerant reputation (remember the infamous Farmingville firebombing of an immigrant house and other lesser-known attacks).

Peace-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 AM

1,999 posts, read 4,977,881 times
Default Article made you feel better than the L.I. folks. Didn't it?

Those Long Islanders are so ignorant. Denying the Central American diversity that we all love. They are so uneducated. Don't they know the cheap labor needs a place to live?
http://oliviervaunois.blogspirit.com/images/medium_20060105.fig0258_1.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-13-2007, 02:03 AM

Samyn,

Thanks for giving me negative reputation and not being brave and man enough to leave your name. You are an example of those who will steal an old lady's purse wearing a mask because they're too afraid to deal with younger and stronger dudes. Makes you feel good?

Isn't your response (and many other posts of yours) "inappropriate and inflammatory"? Sure it is, but I won't give you negative reputation for that.

When you say things such as "our working class struggle with the welfare nation can't be swept under the rug by ivory tower dwelling suburbanites and liberal Manhattanites", aren't they awfully "inappropriate and inflammatory"?

Sure they are, but nobody that I know gave you negative reputation, because the rules say that reputation is not to be used against those who disagree with you.

You don't follow the rules, you post an inflammatory response that adds absolutely nothing to the original thread, you get away with it.

Congratulations to a valuable citizen and human being, just like those depicted in the article I mentioned.

Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 AM

Default Mugging old ladies?

Don't accuse members of stealing purses and robbing old ladies while wearing masks. Your post is clearly off topic, inflammatory and a personal attack. In addition, it is laced with outlandish reputation ruining assumptions.

If you can not deal with a bit of sarcasm you should not be posting. My post was clearly on topic and on-point. You started this thread off with a valid thread, one that reflected your opinion. My response reflected my opinion on the matter. Consider that my post highlighted some of the other factors inherit to the importation of cheap third world labor that the NY Times article failed to mention. It was a very valid response. Now go back and read your response. Your response to me is filled with assumptions. If you had the opportunity to know the truth you would be very embarrassed that you posted that.

The moderators here do a complete and thorough job. If you have issues with them that should be addressed directly to them and not in a random thread.

Regards,
Samyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Samyn,

Thanks for giving me negative reputation and not being brave and man enough to leave your name. You are an example of those who will steal an old lady's purse wearing a mask because they're too afraid to deal with younger and stronger dudes. Makes you feel good?

Isn't your response (and many other posts of yours) "inappropriate and inflammatory"? Sure it is, but I won't give you negative reputation for that.

When you say things such as "our working class struggle with the welfare nation can't be swept under the rug by ivory tower dwelling suburbanites and liberal Manhattanites", aren't they awfully "inappropriate and inflammatory"?

Sure they are, but nobody that I know gave you negative reputation, because the rules say that reputation is not to be used against those who disagree with you.

You don't follow the rules, you post an inflammatory response that adds absolutely nothing to the original thread, you get away with it.

Congratulations to a valuable citizen and human being, just like those depicted in the article I mentioned.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 08-13-2007 at 02:29 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 02:51 AM

Samyn,

Thanks for your response. I still "assume" you gave me negative reputation.

You say that your post "highlighted some of the other factors inherit to the importation of cheap third world labor".

Geez, your post does not highlight anything. I mention a moving editorial on people's humanity (or lack thereof) and you come out with a gang photo. What's that about? It's that all the intelligent conversation you can come up with?

I don't assume all Long Islanders are bigoted, but you do seem to assume all Hispanics are gang members and/or criminals. You also feel offended by the NYT editorial, which might mean something about your nature.

My post is "clearly off-topic and a personal attack"? Wait a moment! A current Long Island affair is worthy of being posted and treated here. It is not off-topic (this is Long Island, and the news) and it is not "personal" because it is not directed to or against anybody.

Should people then accuse you of "personal attacks" when you post your anti-liberal and seemingly white-supremacist rants? Should people cry "personal attack" when the immigration forum features the insults, intolerance and assorted atrocities they feature there?

Good night.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:26 AM

Default Some people need a deeper explanation

Now it is my turn to assume something and I assume you are an educated individual, so I will carry on with this despite you coming unglued in the initial response. I hope you can see the point I am driving towards.

Your heartfelt editorial is a masked attack on Long Island residents and accuses them of being uncaring, selectively hateful people. The secondary function of the piece is to make those that strike a pro-diversity posture feel good about themselves. The Editorial would make one assume that those that strike pro-illegal immigrant postures are more caring than those who do not. This is far from the truth. The editorial paints with a broad brush and assumes that L.I. taxpayers do not care, and are not outraged that a man was brutally beaten to death in the woods. Long Island residents are very concerned with these incidents.

The editorial does not consider the whole issue of cheap third world labor and the larger issues they bring to the table. Incidents like this do not occur in a vacuum. The big picture or global view must be considered. A third world cheap labor presence in a community has many repercussions. The posted photo highlights one of many community concerns. Wouldn't you be concerned if your safety was compromised by the people in the photo? How about twenty of them living in the apartment next door? How would that make you feel? American Citizens have a right to be concerned and a right to reject their presence.

In addition the editorial does not consider the response of the immigrants themselves. Why was there not an outpouring of grief from the illegal immigrants themselves? Are the illegal immigrants as cold and mean as native L.I. taxpayers? Like your second post, this is an inflammatory Editorial.

On the backs of this cheap labor explosion rides a serious gang problem. In fact the very gang issue that I highlighted in my initial response may be the reason for this victims death. The American taxpayers in Long Island did not ask for this burden. If companies need to pay Americans a fair wage for less than white collar work they are obligated. While Mr. Cruzs death was a tragedy, Long island residents have a right not to extend rights to those that enter the country through illegal means.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 08-13-2007 at 03:39 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 05:19 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,656,642 times
Quote:
Hello,

The article is powerful and would be a good read for all those narrow-minded Long Islanders who have given the place a racist and intolerant reputation (remember the infamous Farmingville firebombing of an immigrant house and other lesser-known attacks).

Peace-
You imagine such people read?

My conversations with the locals tend to confirm the editorial, to me.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Samyn,

I don't assume all Long Islanders are bigoted, but you do seem to assume all Hispanics are gang members and/or criminals. You also feel offended by the NYT editorial, which might mean something about your nature.

There's an emotional response people have that's based on race, that largely depends on what one has seen. And, what one sees...frequently depends on what one expects to see.

When i see a Hispanic person, I think of a man who was my customer, mentor, and friend for 15 years, out in California. He rose from absolutely nothing to become a successful business man, who employed 50+ of his people (paid them decently; gave them health benefits; imagine that) and one, lone cranky Anglo, which was me.

When I see those guys standing on the corner, I don't feel threatened. I don't know if they're "illegal" and I don't much care, either.

I see poor people willing to work.

And, I also think back to my days at Stony Brook, and seeing platoons of spoiled teenagers financing their degree in advanced marijuana studies via the Bank of Mom and Dad. And...that yuppie on the plane, in the seat behind me, glibly holding forth about which Third World country was best to outsource work to.

There's a lot of honest hard working decent white people in this country, but there's plenty of lazy deadwood, too. And, if they don't get with the program, those folks with the brown faces are gonna take over, and frankly, they deserve to win.

Adam Smith said so.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:13 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,656,069 times
Millionaires , Migrant Workers and Cops by 2020.

The high cost of cheap labor.

You can unfortunately silence this argument with one word..."racist".

That's why theres been no political solution or action for this quandary.

Ultimately, this is an unlawful situation that has destroyed the QOL on LI.

MS13 makes absolute perfect sense to me.When you have a marginalized society that cant receive legitimate protection from the law, you have a perfect breeding ground for the Mafia.

A transient and undocumented society benefits no one but the wealthy.

Best
C

Last edited by clamboy; 08-13-2007 at 07:43 AM..

Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 AM

Default I keep getting this dime put in me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
You can unfortunately silence this argument with one word..."racist".

That's why theres been no political solution or action for this quandary.
Political Correctness, bought and paid for by Big Business, believed in by people who majored in Advanced Bong Studies and never read a book that someone didn't tell them to read, guaranteed divide and conquer strategy of the elitist elements of the Republicrat Party.

How about a 'solution' of caffeine, administered via large gauge hypo in the buttocks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island