Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 04:56 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,703,654 times

Advertisements

Bravo SilverBullet...well said...but the class warriors will never understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 08:02 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,024,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
How short-sightedly communistic are we? $1 per person and no business interests? The business' represent the people; the investors, the workers, the owners, and the buyers. If candidate A is a better choice for them then candidate B then they are looking out for the interests of all involved.

And people should only be allowed to donate the same amount of money? You jest. People with lots of money HAVE MORE TO LOSE. Of course they are going to donate to look out for their interests or for making changes they want to see. You think Al Gore wasn't making money with all this global warming alarmism? You think the welfare queen/king should be the limiting factor in how much a business owner is able to donate?

The problem with American politics isn't the corporate or "rich" interests. The problem is that the politicians will buy peoples votes with even more EIC's, welfare, medicare, and social security increases.

And legislators are buying voters, but here we are listening to the "evil rich" and the "evil corporations" are buying America. The people vote, one person and one vote. Considering I can ask people what major cases are on the SCOTUS dockets or what major legistlation is going on in the house and the person being asked will know more about Dancing with the Stars and probably not even know what SCOTUS stands for, we know where the problem is. Hell Obamas whole campaign weighed more on a slogan then any real substance.

Yes they are. Get your head out of the "call center" cloud and realize that we're losing big manufacturing jobs because of regulations in the US. Saying they don't employ us anyway says that the DU has firmly entrenched the liberal ideology into the average persons mindset. Boeing is going to be our shining example, NLRB is going to make us lose 5,000 well paying jobs and probably get them overseas. Jobs that would have gone to Americans now going somewhere else. EPA shuts down all sorts of business', which simple jump the border. Cali has had a mass exodus of companies from punitive tax laws and harsh business regulations. Go ahead, tell these companies that were in the US that now they need to pay increased taxes. Then watch the price of goods go skyrocketing and the only one who wins is the IRS.

Talk to those politicians as to why anything in this country is "too big to fail". NOTHING is too big to fail, including our government who continues to pee away massive amounts of taxpayer money. Let the banks fail, screw the idiots who don't understand a bubble, laugh at the people who buy at the top, and wait for the guy who can do it better to come along and fill in the gap. Instead we get a highly intrusive government, federally backed mortgage reductions, and the people who can do it better get pushed out because that same intrusive government makes it impossible to exist because the market is unfairly balanced.
So this big wall o text, a high five from Mr Clueless, and we still couldn't even get on a subway. What I find most funny about this entire post is you offer opinion, put downs, cliches, and nothing else - wait sorry, you think we should "let the banks fail" or "let the business' pollute our environment so they stay here".... and then Mr Clueless tacks on some buzz words he heard on FOX News, which ironically proves he probably didn't even read your post! or maybe he did... "Just stand back, make fun of the people who are trying to make a difference, and hope things work out in the end". I mean tell me I'm wrong - that's what you're saying in this post overall, right?

It's far too easy to tear apart someone's position when they offer details and you offer nothing but ticky tack nitpicking. To me it's the GOP way these days and frankly it's the height of laziness. It's one of the things seriously wrong with this country when negativity and NO is the battle cry, while making fun of the people standing in the street trying to change what is wrong... trying to do something. Where people will ignore what is going on in these financial companies as "conspiracy" - like Occupy Wall St are saying they faked the moon landing or something. Sad indeed.

I for one get a completely different feeling then your overall theme where people don't care because they're too busy watching Dancing with the Stars... Your classic "sheeple" one liner from a middle aged blogger. I get a feeling that attitude is completely wrong and a self analysis - we're too lazy to do something. Yet kids coming out of college with huge debts and no real job prospects are not going to sit idly by for very much longer. Not while we sell their future out. If you think for 2 seconds they're going to buy into the GOP negativity and NO stance on everything, you are sadly mistaken. They're going to stand out there and be heard.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:07 PM

38 posts, read 32,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
................. Yet kids coming out of college with huge debts and no real job prospects are not going to sit idly by for very much longer..................
Just had to jump in and comment on this. Did someone force these kids to go to colleges that were too expensive for them so that they would incur a huge debt? No, no one forced them. This was their choice and their first lesson in life 101.

And seriously, because they feel there are "no real job prospects" for them they "are not going to sit idly by for very much longer" ?

Well, there are plenty of real job prospects out there for anyone who really wants a job. Anyone who wants an honest days pay can take one of those contractor/landscaper/maid jobs that out there. Or hey, a nice fast food joint or a deli job, I see quite a few help wanteds at Walmart. Any job should be good enough for someone with a nice strong work ethic. Hell, let them go out and start their own businesses.

Let's say what we are really talking about here, spoiled kids who made a poor choice and went to a college that was too expensive for them and now they have debt and want some corporation to hand them a high paying job on a silver platter. And then what? If no corporation comes along and hands them that high paying job on that silver platter then they are "not going to stand idly by"? What? What are they going to? They are going to force a corporation to hand them that high paying job on a silver platter?

I have a better idea, let them learn life's lessons and grow up like everyone else. Let them go out and make their way in the world, let them become self-employed and work 16hr days to get their businesses off the ground. Let them wash dishes if that's all that is available. They have these expensive college educations, they should be able to figure something out.

Also, I find it rather ironic that these kids are protesting against corporate America and yet want corporate America to give them a job. LOL!

Old 09-30-2011, 02:20 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
FOX News,

GOP

middle aged blogger

GOP negativity
Hmmm... Speaking of, DU called. They want you back. But for the record; I'm not even registered (R), I have voted for a (D) in local elections, and I'm a little young for "middle aged blogger". On the other hand, I went to school, got my degree in a field that is in demand, get a bi-weekly paycheck, on top of my bills, and when I get a free second I like to read SCOTUSBlog and follow threads on my hobby forums.

Quote:
Yet kids coming out of college with huge debts and no real job prospects are not going to sit idly by for very much longer. Not while we sell their future out.
So driving away business' with a poor tax code, crushing regulations that far-outweigh any sort of reasonable scientific data, and having the NLRB used as a punitive "court" for a multi-national business are all ways to keep jobs, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverChessies View Post
Just had to jump in and comment on this. Did someone force these kids to go to colleges that were too expensive for them so that they would incur a huge debt? No, no one forced them. This was their choice and their first lesson in life 101.
I have a friend with a PhD in what might as well be "Underwater Basket Weaving" who turned down a teaching job so he could get that PhD. While I went to Stony Brook (state school, low tuition) he went to all ivy-league etc schools and racked up hundreds of thousands in debt. Now he posts how the .gov should bail out student loans. I agree with you. If your getting a degree and spending the money you better be doing more then just the pipe-dream "i can make it big" thoughts. At any time he could have gotten the same degree as me and gotten his middle-income check. Instead, even if he takes home double the salary as I do he will be retiring before it even begins to pay off.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:17 PM

As bill says..can anyone on here be pithy instead of pontificating.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:43 PM

38 posts, read 32,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
As bill says..can anyone on here be pithy instead of pontificating.
I can be pithy anytime, but only on a message board can I pontificate to my hearts content without having to hear the door close over and over as I clear the room!

Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM

Im sure your mere flatuating presence has cleared many a room
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island