Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times

Advertisements

I worked on Wall Street in 1987 and my boss put a copy of this on every desk the day of the crash.

IF

By Rudyard Kipling 1865–1936

If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you,
But make allowance for their doubting too;
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don’t deal in lies,
Or being hated, don’t give way to hating,
And yet don’t look too good, nor talk too wise:

If you can dream—and not make dreams your master;
If you can think—and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you’ve spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build ’em up with worn-out tools:

If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you,
If all men count with you, but none too much;
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds’ worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it,
And—which is more—you’ll be a Man, my son!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
Buy Low, Sell High.

Great buying opportunities when the sheeple follow the herd.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:48 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,746,443 times
GPS has some good advice. Unfortunately, I think "low" is going to be a lot lower than people imagine. No poem or even the FED will save this. We've already lost 200-day support and are in the midst of a technical breakdown...on top of S&P downgrade and rumors flying that SocGen & UniCredit are on the brink of failure. One big failure like this in today's environment and you can forget it- Dow<10k instantly.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:20 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
The big difference between now and '87 is that the 24 hour news cycle has brought the masses a feeding frenzy of both information and misinformation. People are hanging on every word both right and wrong and they are creating a "hysteria based fear". We are in a difficult economic time for certain, but the p/e rating of many of these companies are very solid as compared to '87.

People are reacting to news that often times they do not understand but they react to anyway out of fear which is driven by an update every ten seconds on where the market is going. The talking heads keep the "uncertainty momentum" going and people react when at times cooler heads should prevail.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:26 AM

I agree. Times are not good but there are some solid companies out there doing fine with stashes of cash.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:43 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I agree. Times are not good but there are some solid companies out there doing fine with stashes of cash.
You do realize this is all happening because everyone is realizing that "cash" is useless? Probably not based on your previous "sheeple" comment...

When you look around the table and can't pick out the sucker, you know what that means.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
You do realize this is all happening because everyone is realizing that "cash" is useless? Probably not based on your previous "sheeple" comment...

When you look around the table and can't pick out the sucker, you know what that means.
Lets see...Apple can't produce Ipads fast enough, has 78b in cash ready to spend..and you would worry about that stock dropping...

Oh yeah..P&G...guess everyone will just stop buying diapers and soap..

Guess you don't get out much either...people driving less? NOOO..people dining less?...not really....going to Disney..you betcha...

Times arent good but the impact of this recession isnt stopping people from keeping up a certain level of spending.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:00 AM

IDK GPS man, if the US isn't AAA anymore, how could any US company be considered anything close to AAA?

The implications of this have yet to be factored into equities. I love AAPL, albeit it a little overdone to the upside, but I wouldn't touch it or any US company right now, despite the cash hoard.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Just want to add, the drop in BAC as I write this is pretty scary

down 15% fu9cken percent, holy cow, $13 Billion in market cap wiped out in hours.

Old 08-08-2011, 09:32 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
The big difference between now and '87 is that the 24 hour news cycle has brought the masses a feeding frenzy of both information and misinformation. People are hanging on every word both right and wrong and they are creating a "hysteria based fear". We are in a difficult economic time for certain, but the p/e rating of many of these companies are very solid as compared to '87.

People are reacting to news that often times they do not understand but they react to anyway out of fear which is driven by an update every ten seconds on where the market is going. The talking heads keep the "uncertainty momentum" going and people react when at times cooler heads should prevail.

I too worked on Wall Street during that crash and the company I worked for at the time (Julian Robertson's Tiger Management), laid off a third of the employees in the aftermath. But all survived!

Was just in St. Louis, and dining there doesn't seem to be suffering - neither did the stores, including upscale stores like Saks, Williams-Sonoma, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island