Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are the Police on LI over paid
yea 26 57.78%
nay 19 42.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 07:10 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times

Advertisements

Villages that have their own police force (like Garden City) don't pay the regular NCPD taxes, but they do pay the other half which go towards Police Headquarters, who I guess the Village police still have to answer to....I'm really not sure though.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:25 PM

1,696 posts, read 5,192,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Villages that have their own police force (like Garden City) don't pay the regular NCPD taxes, but they do pay the other half which go towards Police Headquarters, who I guess the Village police still have to answer to....I'm really not sure though.
Like parts of the Hampton's also. They are a incorperated villages, but use suffolk cops.

Last edited by 41Willys; 10-23-2007 at 06:11 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 05:56 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
We have our own police in Babylon Village, but I believe that their powers are somewhat limited and we do use the SCPD for most things. We pay village taxes (over $500), but I don't know how much of it goes to the tiny police force.)

Old 10-23-2007, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 18,094 times
[quote=clamboy;1271934]Yes its safe....but at what a cost?

98k a year excluding overtime for a G.E.D.
Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Is it necessary?

Is it fair?

Why/Why not?

How's about the City Cops?
Care to weigh in?

I think this is a healthy dialogue.

I agree, this can be a healthy dialogue. I think they are paid just fine. Look where they live!! cost of living, taxes, and so on, why do we always complain about our public servants pay scale when it is a healthy wage? our cops have a lot of responsibility and there is the risk as well. why cant they make a nice living, anyone who complains has a choice..they can go to college and then the acadamy and then work nights, evenings, holidays, birthdays..i think they are paid appropriately.

Old 10-24-2007, 05:54 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
[quote=mammadoo;1811934]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Yes its safe....but at what a cost?

98k a year excluding overtime for a G.E.D.
Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Is it necessary?

Is it fair?

Why/Why not?

How's about the City Cops?
Care to weigh in?

I think this is a healthy dialogue.

I agree, this can be a healthy dialogue. I think they are paid just fine. Look where they live!! cost of living, taxes, and so on, why do we always complain about our public servants pay scale when it is a healthy wage? our cops have a lot of responsibility and there is the risk as well. why cant they make a nice living, anyone who complains has a choice..they can go to college and then the acadamy and then work nights, evenings, holidays, birthdays..i think they are paid appropriately.
"Look where they live!! cost of living, taxes, and so on"

The question was...
Can it be done for less?
(considering the risk being relatively low and the reward being fairly high in comparison to NYC?)
I believe it can.

[b]
[i]If a NY cop can afford to live on LI than an LI cop can too.

: )

C

Last edited by Keeper; 10-24-2007 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: removed rude remarks

Old 10-24-2007, 08:53 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other

Old 10-24-2007, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Our opinions on a location or issue are just that, opinions. Highly subjective. Personal preferences. Quirks, even. Leave wiggle room for dialogue, others may not see things the same as you, or been there as long as you, and any one of us can be wrong. Pouncing on someone you disagree with runs contrary to the spirit of this board and its members. We are here to help each other

NP Keeper

This is all I got.

If a NY cop can afford to live on LI than an LI cop can too.

C

Old 10-24-2007, 02:14 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,875,655 times
Quote:
If a NY cop can afford to live on LI than an LI cop can too.
Clam, I can appreciate your opinion but I certainly do not agree with it. My point, & I think several of the others too, is that just because NYC cops can afford (barely) to live on Long Island, why should the Nassau & Suffolk police?

Many NYC cops live on Long Island because they cannot afford to live in the better parts of the city. I would have loved to have stayed in Belle Harbor back in the early 90's but I was forced to Nassau. So, I say good for the cops on LI & I hope the guys in the city catch up someday. Folks don't realize the stress on family life & the dangers of being a cop in relationship to compensation.

Old 10-24-2007, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
Clam, I can appreciate your opinion but I certainly do not agree with it. My point, & I think several of the others too, is that just because NYC cops can afford (barely) to live on Long Island, why should the Nassau & Suffolk police?

Many NYC cops live on Long Island because they cannot afford to live in the better parts of the city. I would have loved to have stayed in Belle Harbor back in the early 90's but I was forced to Nassau. So, I say good for the cops on LI & I hope the guys in the city catch up someday. Folks don't realize the stress on family life & the dangers of being a cop in relationship to compensation.
The question was...
Can it be done for less?
(considering the risk being relatively low and the reward being fairly high in comparison to NYC?)
I believe it can.

C

Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baylovers View Post
I would gladly take a cop with a Masters in Common Sense, a Bachelors in Bravery with minor in Balls over one with Sociology & Psychology.

Seen at an NYPD contract demonstration:

I thought your photo spoke volumes.

Perhaps SCPD should mow their own lawns like the rest of us working stiffs.

; )

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island