Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 PM

138 posts, read 270,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
no teacher should be paid 80k a year if they aren't working a full-year. if you work half a year, you should be paid for half a year. So, they should be making less NOT more than people who work all year make. Yes, they are definitely overpaid.

Or perhaps people working a full year should be making significantly more than 80K a year....They are not overpaid. We are underpaid. (think about how much homes and rent costs on the island)

Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Quote:
no teacher should be paid 80k a year if they aren't working a full-year. if you work half a year, you should be paid for half a year. So, they should be making less NOT more than people who work all year make. Yes, they are definitely overpaid.
So you will pay the experienced teachers 40K per year, JDawg? So they will leave to other parts of NY State where people are not such tightwads, leaving your children to be taught by who? People who live in a cardboard box under the overpass? A teaching staff with no experience whatsoever? Your complaint, sir, is not against teachers, we generally accept what the school district offers. Your complaint is with the school board, who negotiates our salary. Complain there and stop picking on the teachers by comparing them with how much you make for the time spent. You have already stated that you would not have the nerve to complain if you worked only half a year: well, I do! Yet, obviously, your school board disagrees with you, as well as your view of what should be done!!!

Ever wonder why this is so?

Old 02-13-2010, 10:36 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1219 View Post
Or perhaps people working a full year should be making significantly more than 80K a year....They are not overpaid. We are underpaid. (think about how much homes and rent costs on the island)
You are so right, lol. I can't even remember the last time I have left my office before 8pm. I'm 28 years old and I work like I'm the VP or something. When the f*ck am I going to get the compensation I deserve for the time I put in?

And teachers think WE are the ones who have it so easy...I'd like to know how many teachers leave the school after 8pm.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
So you will pay the experienced teachers 40K per year, JDawg? So they will leave to other parts of NY State where people are not such tightwads, leaving your children to be taught by who? People who live in a cardboard box under the overpass? A teaching staff with no experience whatsoever? Your complaint, sir, is not against teachers, we generally accept what the school district offers. Your complaint is with the school board, who negotiates our salary. Complain there and stop picking on the teachers by comparing them with how much you make for the time spent. You have already stated that you would not have the nerve to complain if you worked only half a year: well, I do! Yet, obviously, your school board disagrees with you, as well as your view of what should be done!!!

Ever wonder why this is so?
First of all I don't have kids and I never will, so for me, personally I don't give a hoot if the "good teachers" move upstate...doesn't affect me in the slightest. Enough of my tax money already goes to the teachers salaries. It may be the school board that is negotiating your salaries, but it is us taxpayers who are paying it.

Second of all, I'm not a sir, lol. Why does everyone keep thinking I'm a guy? The icon, although grayed out, shows a girl. Don't make me show you my boobies.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:50 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Quote:
First of all I don't have kids and I never will, so for me, personally I don't give a hoot if the "good teachers" move upstate...doesn't affect me in the slightest. Enough of my tax money already goes to the teachers salaries. It may be the school board that is negotiating your salaries, but it is us taxpayers who are paying it.

Second of all, I'm not a sir, lol. Why does everyone keep thinking I'm a guy? The icon, although grayed out, shows a girl. Don't make me show you my boobies.
Well, it affects your school district, and indirectly, your property values and your ability to maximize profit on your home, if you own one. Your tax dollars also go to fireman, police, dogcatcher and politicians, yet I don't see you getting quite as upset with their salaries.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Well, it affects your school district, and indirectly, your property values and your ability to maximize profit on your home, if you own one. Your tax dollars also go to fireman, police, dogcatcher and politicians, yet I don't see you getting quite as upset with their salaries.
They work ALL year. Teachers do not.

My school district is already terrible, it can't get any worse. It isn't affecting my property values b/c I live by the beach and that will always be desirable, despite the crappy school district. I'm not really worried about my home's value right now..and I'm not selling for a long time anyway.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:26 PM

46 posts, read 189,091 times
J-Dawg is jealous! You made a poor career choice. Sorry!

Old 02-14-2010, 12:14 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
You are so right, lol. I can't even remember the last time I have left my office before 8pm. I'm 28 years old and I work like I'm the VP or something. When the f*ck am I going to get the compensation I deserve for the time I put in?

And teachers think WE are the ones who have it so easy...I'd like to know how many teachers leave the school after 8pm.
Maybe not 8:00 pm, but a lot of them do work until at least 5:00. They coach. They counsel. They tutor and teach after-school SAT prep courses. They moderate activities like the student newspaper. And then when they get home, they grade papers while eating a TV dinner or a slice of pizza.

My sister was a high school English teacher for about 15 years. She'd probably laugh at your assumption about the hours she put in.

Also, for those who say people on Long Island are underpaid because it's expensive to live here, sorry, but salaries are not determined by cost of living as much as they are determined by what the job is worth to the employer, and what you, with your experience and skills, are worth in the job and have the smarts to negotiate for.

Just because Long Island is expensive, that doesn't mean you automatically get to make a boatload more than someone in, say, North Carolina. There are 49 other states to choose from. If you want more value for your dollar, think about moving to one of them.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:12 AM

37 posts, read 106,363 times
In regards to teachers hours--they are required to be at school during school hours. ANY work (coaching, etc.) are EXTRA and they are PAID for doing it. And many do the extra things for the MONEY, not because of a great love. In many districts teachers even get a "stipend" for doing duties such as lunch and bus duty which occur during the day. This post has been beaten to death. LI teachers are overpaid, and it's not just their salaries, it's their benefits, pensions, etc. When everyone else is struggling to keep a job, find a job, it is hard to commiserate with someone who is pretty much guaranteed a job for life. I am a teacher, but I was in the business world first and you cannot compare the hours of a teacher to those in business. BUT I did do something about it and did move to NC. Last year the teachers (myself included) did not get a raise due to the budget and the economy. obviously we were not thrilled, but happy to have a job. That's why my taxes are $2000 a year as opposed to $12,000 on LI. Many people can't leave LI due to jobs and family and that is a fact. BUT at some point LIers have to revolt against the unions.

Old 02-14-2010, 07:19 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
It feels like most people who complain about teacher pay are really just jealous that someone is getting more than them and they just can't stand it.

There was a time when everyone was unionized and everyone made a decent living...butchers,grocery clerks,waiters ... you name it.

Ronald Reagan and the Republicans somehow duped most working Americans into believing that they didn't need unions despite ample history to the contrary.What do you think the struggles for unionization in the early 20th C were all about ?Ever since the American middle class turned it's back on the unions it's standard of living and real earnings have declined while corporate profits and multi million dollar bonuses to executives have skyrocketed.Teachers just really only have what everyone should and could have had which is a pay that actually goes up with inflation and the cost of living.It's not that teacher's salaries( or other union pay) have gone up so much as the fact that most Americans real earnings have stayed the same or gone down over the last 25 years.
It used to be that a family could live on the salary of one wage earner and everyone had health insurance and retirement/ pensions .What happened to that ?You gave it up/it was taken from you.

Just because unions have been successful in maintaining their members standard of living while the rest of America stupidly chose to go it alone doesn't mean you should blame your situation on unions or union workers.You should focus the blame where it belongs.... first with yourself for being so naive to buy into the ridiculous notion that what's best for corporate America was best for you and secondly with the greedy politicians and corporations who stole your wealth and standard of living away from you.It's called redistribution of wealth and we have all been watching it unfold for 25 years.

The American middle class is sinking and responding by lashing out at what should be their allies.That's exactly what the Reagan/Republican/corporate plan was all along....divide and conquer.

That's what this debate is(should) really be about.Scapegoating teachers and unions is not ...repeat not... going to restore your standard of living to that of your parents.

Similarly,it looks like Americans have been convinced by the same people that health insurance is best left in the hands of the insurance/medical industry.Makes exactly the same sense as leaving your standard of living up to the corporations.Soon,nobody except union workers will be able to afford health insurance at all and people will be crying to take it away from the union workers so we can all sink to the same level of poverty while the corporate profits and bonuses continue to go up.You will get sick,go into debt,lose your house.Bingo...another minor redistribution of wealth. Weird.

Last edited by bluedog2; 02-14-2010 at 07:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island