Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 03:34 PM

100 posts, read 221,901 times

Advertisements

Jo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
And just an FYI, I'm not sure about everyone else on this thread, but my "beef" is when the teachers are making over $100k. A teacher working 10 years and making $65k is not the reason taxes are so high.

Well Im glad the "beef" isnt with me LOL I can tell you that I will be long gone before I make $100k. I'll have either lost my house by then or just moved off the island because I can't afford it. Thats the truth.

964 posts, read 2,454,900 times
Dman,

Again I have to give you credit for being very honest about the teacher situation (given your wife's status). Kudos to you.

What I would like to see, which I haven't yet, is a breakdown of teacher salary on a per day basis (or even per hour). Nonetheless, a per day basis would be great.

Can you break down an 80k teacher salary on a per day basis and compare that to 80k in the private sector? Let's not even add in the benefits yet.

For a private sector example, let's use my company. Someone with 80k will get 2 weeks vacation a year (maybe 3 if they are there 10 yrs). They will get 6 holiday days per year and 3 personal days. So, they will work 260 days per year MINUS 10 days vacation MINUS 6 holidays MINUS 3 personal days. So, that's 80k divided by 241 days a year...that's 331 dollars per working day.

If you could do the teacher breakdown, that would be great.

815 posts, read 2,045,761 times
Originally Posted by KarenBo
Who is qualified to determine that? Besides you, of course.

No, the historical data determines that.

Why should the historical data determine our future? If that were true, it would be such a monotonous world, with no group getting better and no group getting worse. How far back in history do we go? Nazism? slavery? Spanish Inquisition? Neanderthal?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:36 PM

217 posts, read 253,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Originally Posted by KarenBo

No, the historical data determines that.

Why should the historical data determine our future? If that were true, it would be such a monotonous world, with no group getting better and no group getting worse. How far back in history do we go? Nazism? slavery? Spanish Inquisition? Neanderthal?
Huh? talk about missing the point....

Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,678,278 times
JP..teachers never miss the point..they just plain old don't get it.

I want them, along with other civil servants, to begin taking a decrease in salary on their next contracts. Just as many in the private sector have had to have their salary adjusted to the current economic climate.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:38 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,963,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
I agree, they don't. I'm saying that as a teacher in another school district, I pay the same taxes you do and I'm sick of hearing this argument. Sure, I could make more money if I taught on LI but the animosity that people here have for teachers is beyond me. There are so many people whose salaries comes from your taxes but the only ones that seems to get scrutinized is the teachers and cops. There's probably lots of reasons to choose from but whatever the reasons, what do threads like this really get you?

I don't live my life worrying about what everyone else is getting - its like some people are so focused on this perceived injustice as if this is the worst thing in their lives. I'm pretty sure if you look for it, you can find way worse things going on to be outraged about. But even if you can't, does complaining about teachers and cops for 29 pages make that problem go away? Does it make anyone feel better about it? I doubt it.
This is a good point, and perhaps it is accurate of some people who complain about what teachers and cops make. However, there's a reason so many people are up in arms about it..and it's partially because there's some facet of truth behind it, it isn't just a smoke screen by the ultra rich to make you forget about how the mortgage swappers on Wall Street ripped us all off. You can have one and also the other, people.

You don't hear people in NYC screaming about what cops and teachers make...because those aren't really great jobs there with disproportionate compensation to what you can get in the private sector. On LI, these jobs are highly sought after to the point where SCPD has tens of thousands of applicants for a few hundred job openings and it can take years to land a full time teaching job in a public school.

If you're tired of it, don't get involved with the discussion, or start a thread about something else. I'm not particularly busy today, so I feel like stirring it up, okay?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,678,278 times
You're not busy TODAY. Now you really made me laugh...only TODAY?

Old 02-16-2010, 03:40 PM

100 posts, read 221,901 times
Sib
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.i.b. View Post
if you think it's easy to get a job as a teacher on li, you simply do not know much about this issue.
i'm not sure if you were responding to me, but i do know how difficult it is. I have the job after all.

kind of hard for us to weigh in on the "why" without you giving us more details.
there are no details to give. Im a teacher and dh is a fireman. Enough said. We spend our money on needs, not wants. Our salaries are not enough to be comfortable. Its just enough for a mortgage, utilities, daycare and food.

well your kids are probably in daycare about 180 days a year. Compared to people who work in the private sector with 2-3 weeks of vacation a year, that's pretty good.
which is part of the reason i became a teacher, so i could have some time with my own children.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:49 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,283,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
While a lot of your post after this was good, you start off with hyperbole so people don't pay attention to it. Talking about how much someone makes who is paid by taxpayers is not bashing. Get over it. If you didn't want your salary to be public knowledge, you shouldn't have worked in the public sector. It's not bashing. Same with police.

I know your situation well, I'm living in it, but if you are struggling, imaging how a family with 2 private sector jobs making 50K each a year who has to send their kids to daycare all FRIGGIN YEAR feels. That would cost my wife and I an extra $2,500 a year. Meanwhile they have an 8K tax bill that is about 65% the result of school budgets.
This is why I get annoyed...b/c I pay 60-something-% of my taxes to go to schools that I don't even use. I don't have kids, I'm not married, I'm not going to have a kid anytime soon. I don't feel like people in my situation should pay this high of a % to the schools. How is what happens in the schools benefitting/affecting me in any way? I'd rather see my tax money go to other things that i actually give a damn about.

Old 02-16-2010, 04:00 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,963,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Dman,

Again I have to give you credit for being very honest about the teacher situation (given your wife's status). Kudos to you.

What I would like to see, which I haven't yet, is a breakdown of teacher salary on a per day basis (or even per hour). Nonetheless, a per day basis would be great.

Can you break down an 80k teacher salary on a per day basis and compare that to 80k in the private sector? Let's not even add in the benefits yet.
The school year is 180 days or so, so a teacher gets paid $444.45 a day with an 80K salary. Then they also get a decent amount of sick time and a handful of personal days.

Someone making 80K in my company gets 2-3 weeks vacation (depending on when they were hired) and about 10 days on top of that sick and personal...so take the sick and personal out as a wash, they work probably 48-49 weeks per year, divided by 240 days 80K = $333.34 per day.

$444.45 a day in my company would be about $107K a year..that's money that Directors or senior managers make.

But then there is the pension and benefits that knock that equation out of whack, and senior managers in my company often work 45-50 hour weeks.

There's no way to look at it and say it isn't a great deal to be a teacher in a public school on LI. When salary is low early on, it's easy to make more working over the summer or coaching and doing clubs. I'm not saying it's an easy job, because there is nonsense my wife deals with that I don't, but I can also be kicked out the door tomorrow for ANY REASON. How do you factor the value of that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island