Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2010, 03:35 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You are missing the point.

The person I was answering used an article about the problems PG County has retaining teachers as "evidence" that teaching on LI is so hard that many will quit. LI and PGC are totally different animals and I am sure LI has no problem retaining its teachers like PGC do.
I'm yanking your chain.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
Tenure doesn't mean permanent job. If you do something terrible, like that, or even are a "bad teacher" with bad results, you will undergo a trial of sorts and you will be terminated.

I know of a teacher that got bad regents results, was put on supervision the next year, and then terminated after that for lack of improvement. He was tenured.

The reason tenure was put in place was during the politicla unrest of the 1960's. teachers who spoke up about government were terminated. It was to protect ideaology. It doesn't always work, but, at least on LI, they are pretty strict about who gets tenure and every teacher knows tenure isn't a job guarentee. (The city schools may work differently, but this forum is about LI).
It is notoriously hard to get rid of incompetent tenured teachers. It's even difficult to get rid of tenured teachers who turn into criminals. Read Twingles' post on this very thread about her son's teacher who everyone knows is incompetent yet is protected zealously. Her twins are in different classes and she anticipates that when her son gets to the next grade next year, he will have a lot of making up to do and the other twin won't. It is as close to a "job guarantee" as anyone will ever get.

As for what happened during the 1960s, well that is all fine and good, but the 1960s were OVER 50 years ago and so should tenure. I would advocate making it a lot easier to get rid of the incompetents, not reward them with a lifetime job like what twingles' son has to suffer with. I would additionally advocate making sure that school districts understand they cannot break federal laws by discriminating based on age to get rid of older teachers making more money and replace them with newbies making less.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:46 PM

815 posts, read 2,052,435 times
Just pointing out that you and fastrudy, a supposed retired teacher who made the claim to be a "seasonal" employee
I never called myself a seasonal employee.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:14 PM

64 posts, read 183,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Just this statement makes me laugh A teacher on a year round schedule works the exact same amount hours as a teacher that works the traditional schedule. SAME AMOUNT OF TIME OFF Year round schools were started because of too many students not enough class room space. AND IT DOESN
'T work, 100's of lawsuits against it. To implement this on L.I. would make absolutely no sense, actually it would cost the tax payers more
Actually this is incorrect. When someone thinks of year round school they think of 5 days a week for 48-50 weeks a year, not a crazy -space arrangement where students still get off 3 months a year.

That said I am against year round school because a student needs less government teaching time and more individuality at some point. Many districts have added time (from the same teachers (some who are good some who are bad) and it has done nothing.. An extra week becomes an extra week of watching movies/free time at the end of the year.

The main point of this is teachers are drastically overpaid and are bankrupting towns/cities/states. See California.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:08 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Why is the police thread locked and not this one? It's okay to "bash" ie talk about compensation related to teachers but not cops, I guess?

Since these topics ALWAYS ARE coming up, why not sticky these 2 threads and be done with it instead of constantly having to go through this tedium.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche060 View Post
Sample stories of what happens with tenure

'$leazy 6' of rubber room - NYPOST.com

Taxpayers are on the hook for more than $540,000 a year in salaries for six rubber-room teachers who have been legally cleared to return to class -- but will never go back because the schools chancellor believes they're too dangerous.

Typing teacher Alan Rosenfeld, 64, pulled in $100,049 a year while he practiced law and oversaw his $7 million in real-estate properties. A DOE arbitrator had suspended him for a week for lewdness, telling one eighth-grader, "You have a sexy body,"

Francisco Olivares, 60, rakes in $94,154 a year. He allegedly impregnated a 16-year-old he first met when she was 13 at IS 61 in Corona, Queens. He was also accused of molesting three girls. His criminal conviction was overturned on a technicality.

Joining them on the dishonor roll is computer teacher George Addison, 40, who makes $80,695 a year. He was accused of allegedly shoving his hand down the pants of a 15-year-old special-ed pupil in 2003. Years after his criminal case was dismissed, he still hasn't picked up piece of chalk.

Music teacher Aryeh Eller, 43, first appeared on DOE radar in 1998 when a Hillcrest HS student complained about the way he hugged her and made suggestive comments. He told another pupil, "You have a nice ass."

But officials failed to act, according to a report by then-Special Schools Investigator Ed Stancik, who called it a "missed opportunity to remove a problem teacher from the system."

Eller returned to the classroom, only to be accused a year later of becoming infatuated with a student, telling her "she would make a good wife."

He was exiled to the rubber room in 2003.

Read more: '$leazy 6' of rubber room - NYPOST.com

Maybe you should actually post something about Long Island teachers, Mr. Off Topic?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:11 AM

416 posts, read 698,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Why is the police thread locked and not this one? It's okay to "bash" ie talk about compensation related to teachers but not cops, I guess?

Since these topics ALWAYS ARE coming up, why not sticky these 2 threads and be done with it instead of constantly having to go through this tedium.
Great idea - I don't think your friend PDCNRET would like that too much though.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:41 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Maybe you should actually post something about Long Island teachers, Mr. Off Topic?
That would be good, there were quite a few teacher misconduct/scandal headlines this past year or so on the Island.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:52 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
I think teachers should be paid to educate our children as to the dangers of white SUV's.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:19 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Question for all the folks who are unhappy with teacher salaries:

You've made your feelings known here. What are you going to do about them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island